CPS3 suicide free a step closer.

jdubs

n00b
The best part is, you won't even necessarily need a 2nd Impact cart since all CPS 3 carts can just be converted to 2nd Impact. Hopefully someone will provide this service in the future. This is the best news since CPS2 was broken. Darksoft rules!

Is converting any dead cart as simple as removing its battery? Per darksoft's blog:

"Luckily we know that all cartridges when having the battery removed, work as a SF3-2I with battery. That means that anyone, with a dead cartridge could just remove the battery, use the new version of the tool and play all 6 games."

So.....one could literally use ANY dead CPS3 cartridge, remove its battery, and play 3rd Strike (or any other CPS3 game, once the ISOs are released)?

-Jim

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Is converting any dead cart as simple as removing its battery? Per darksoft's blog:

"Luckily we know that all cartridges when having the battery removed, work as a SF3-2I with battery. That means that anyone, with a dead cartridge could just remove the battery, use the new version of the tool and play all 6 games."

So.....one could literally use ANY dead CPS3 cartridge, remove its battery, and play 3rd Strike (or any other CPS3 game, once the ISOs are released)?

-Jim

No, the way it's worded is a little confusing - any CPS-3 cart without a battery can work, but the bios has to be rewritten as the 2nd Impact bios. Capcom apparently made a mistake with the encryption keys for 2nd Impact, and as a result, the cart still works. Note, it only works without a battery. If you leave a dead battery in there, your game will not boot.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
For anyone who has gotten it working. What program are you using to burn your images. I haven't burned a CPS3 image in awhile and I can't seem to get them to read in my drive.

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
So what all is involved with reflashing the BIOS? This is not something I would attempt personally, as it sounds like there is a need for some decent soldering skills, but I know someone who may be up to the task.

jdubs

n00b
No, the way it's worded is a little confusing - any CPS-3 cart without a battery can work, but the bios has to be rewritten as the 2nd Impact bios. Capcom apparently made a mistake with the encryption keys for 2nd Impact, and as a result, the cart still works. Note, it only works without a battery. If you leave a dead battery in there, your game will not boot.

Got it. Figured it wouldn't be that easy.

Thanks,
Jim

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
For anyone who has gotten it working. What program are you using to burn your images. I haven't burned a CPS3 image in awhile and I can't seem to get them to read in my drive.

I've been using ImgBurn. Works perfectly. Also, and I'm sure it goes without saying, but don't forget to unzip it with winrar or 7-zip.

Dion

I've been using ImgBurn. Works perfectly. Also, and I'm sure it goes without saying, but don't forget to unzip it with winrar or 7-zip.

Hmm. I used imgburn.... Did you need to change any settings at all? Maybe it just doesn't like the disks I used?

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I don't think you should have to change any settings. I'm using Sony CD-R's, and I've been burning at 16x without a problem. Are you getting errors burning the CD? You could try burning at the slowest possible speed and see if that works.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Hmm. I used imgburn.... Did you need to change any settings at all? Maybe it just doesn't like the disks I used?

from the .txt that comes with the tool:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure you are using MODE 1 ISOS (2048 bytes per sector) and not MODE1_RAW ISOS (2352 bytes per sector).
The easiest way to check this it's to check the TOC/CUE file if it's MODE1_RAW or sector size is 2352 instead of 2048,
then you need to convert it.
Another way of checking this is having a look at the ISO content with an HEX editor. If it starts with
00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF, then it's almost for sure a RAW ISO and needs to be converted.
An ISO of SFIII 3rd strike with the right size will be 80.5Mb in size, and a RAW ISO will be about 92.4Mb
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dion

from the .txt that comes with the tool:
VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure you are using MODE 1 ISOS (2048 bytes per sector) and not MODE1_RAW ISOS (2352 bytes per sector).
The easiest way to check this it's to check the TOC/CUE file if it's MODE1_RAW or sector size is 2352 instead of 2048,
then you need to convert it.
Another way of checking this is having a look at the ISO content with an HEX editor. If it starts with
00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF, then it's almost for sure a RAW ISO and needs to be converted.
An ISO of SFIII 3rd strike with the right size will be 80.5Mb in size, and a RAW ISO will be about 92.4Mb

I'm using the Isos that he provided above so I guess they are not the problem. I'll try some different discs.

Phexe

Quiz Detective
Just threw together a simple step by step video if anyones interested.

Dion

Cool. Just so people know. You can use a working battery powered 2I cart as well.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Hi Darksoft,

is there any chance you can get a NoCD installation off a normal game cartridge (which would require the cd drive hooked up)?
or it really depend upon the bios on the cart itself?

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
Great video, nice and easy to follow, thanks for all the work!! thanks Darksoft!!

IMAGE_484810C4-8568-4F95-B971-D6B7B58CCEE8.JPG

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I still don't get if i.e. is it possible to get a phoenix JPN rom set without bugs? What are the reasons for Oliveira and idc project?

I know this is a little off topic but I want to answer this one. There is no issues getting JPN region games without bugs. The issues come when you have a game in a single region only. Its not impossible though, it just takes longer (I had no issues doing Vh2 and VS2 for example). A lot of the problem with bugs in the first CPS2 phoenix games came from the fact that incorrect and altered phoenix dumps were added into MAME. I did tell them at the time but no one wanted to listen. Then you had people altering them and those got added to MAME also.... There are still incorrect versions in MAME the last time I checked. At one point there was even phoenix fixes with mismatched ROMs that did not need altering, that all came about from people selling fixed ROMs for only altered ROMs rather than the entire program ROM set. The amount of people who have contacted me who have been caught out by this problem is unreal. Seems one of the most effected games from this is SFA.

I never released the phoenix fixes publically and probably never will. They are designed for people with real hardware only.

I'm not sure the reasons for the Oliveira and idc project. To be honest I did not know about it until I looked it up now. Personally I'm against these kind of fixes not showing a logo of an altered game. It seems they also think the games have been altered without knowledge, this is not the case for the phoenix edition fixes I have at least. All changes I have done are known and some are even for the better (like the better program ROM check). As for SSF2T, I have run phoenixed and original games side by side. They run identically, the reason people question this game is due to the way its programmed in relation to the vblank timer.

Changes in the phoenix editions are.....

- altered exception vectors to show errors
- altered video ports (the hardware will not run if you do not do this)
- altered program ROM checksums
- stronger program ROM checks in testmode (Capcom think checking 0x01 byte in every 0xFFF is enough, I don't)
- addition of region screens for a couple of games that did not have them.
- storing the selected region into the end of the EEPROM.
- removal of time locks for games that have them (SFA3 for example)

The truth of the matter is phoenix fixes can be confirmed to be working correctly by a end user more than the original encrypted version given the overly weak testmode ROM check alone. I have seen a lot of corrupted original encrypted ROMs over the years too. I think allot of the issue is people without allot of knowledge still scratch their heads at how one can know what data needs decrypting and what does not. The reality is its really quite simple when you have large data sets and good knowledge of the cpu and knowledge in the way the games were compiled.

Of course CPS3 is a little different given it uses CD and simms so some things can be done in a different way. I have not really been following the progress but it seems it can be quite tricky to update the games sometimes from what I have seen in this thread I'm sure that will change in time though. All I know is how I would do it. I think I have said it before. I would either program one new bios that could load all games. Ie; when you go into the load menu it would list all the games, you would choose one and it would then ask to insert cd after checking required simms were present. I would not want any of this making special CDs for different games, I would make it upload off the original CDs. Of course some people would moan about that given it would have a custom Bios..

IronGiant

Armored Scrum Object
Raz, you said:

"There are still incorrect versions in MAME the last time I checked"

Do you happen to know which ones that applies to?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Not any longer sorry.

I did just have a look at one of the fixes on ide's page (vsav2 done by leo) and it is not correct, there are 4 bad bytes in there I see with a quick look.

Raz

Just a quick update, I had a look at another one of their fixes, that one had over 60 incorrect bytes, and like vsav2 (which has one critical error in a 68k opcode) this one had quite a few more.

I can tell the method they are using to make their sets. Unfortunately that is not enough to guarantee a 100% correct decrypted data set as I can see from the errors found. They need allot more checks on top of what they are doing.

Last edited:

Spectre

Banned
Raz, the reasons for the leo/idc project is that there is a desire within the community for suicide-free cps2 sets, which are as close to the original code as possible. I.e. no splash screens, region changing, other improvements.

Their work is non-profit in nature and to a certain extent is a community project, with end users testing their work and submitting bug reports etc. I have used two of their sets now, both were untested on real hardware at the time I first tried them and both were updated to work 100% on my hardware once I had given them feedback.

I have nothing but respect for you and your work on cps2 decryption and have paid for phoenix sets from you on more than one occasion. However leo and idc have, imho, raised the bar by putting thousands of hours of work into their fixes and releasing them into the community for free. To date they have released 22 sets which have been tested and verified as working by the community, with a further 5 more currently untested or considered beta in nature. They deserve nothing but praise for their benevolence.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I have no problem with what they are doing at all and I of all people know how hard it can be to make these kind of fixes. I don't agree however with not having some kind of message showing its not the original. That's just standard practice with software to show what revision you are running. It's up to them though how they do it however as its their own fixes. I personally have not found people want the phoenix edition logo removed. sure I have been asked it from time to time but in every case the person wants to sell the board on after. I don't think it is right that it should be down to the buyer to make sure they are getting an original non suicide cps2 game when a decrypted version can by easily hidden. Its not like MVS carts where bootlegs stand out a mile, you can easily make a suicide free cps2 game and pass it off as original. There would be no way for a buyer to know unless they opened it and read the program ROM data.

I am just pointing out that in both the fixes I have checked, both do not run any closer to the original than the phoenix fixes do, in fact from what I have seen its 100% the opposite. Sure you may not see the difference via the screen output but the errors are there none the less. In vsav 2 one error won't even cause a visible effect on screen. The other one however will cause a system reset. I can't see how that is a good thing for someone who would otherwise have no idea they are even using a decrypted set if the game is sold as fully working with battery. Unfortunatly that does happen as people have tried to pass off phoenix edition fixes in the past as original working cps2 games with encryption by putting working batteries back to the pcb and patching out the phoenix screen.

The other issue is of course that once ide/leo are aware of these issues in there fixes they can fix them, however there is no mention when these are updated and no way for a person to tell what version of one of their fixes they are using..... Do you see my point? All that will happen is people will use the fixes, sell the boards on and then after an error in there fix is found and corrected. Some poor person has a cps2 game now with no way to know that its not 100% good.

I would strongly advise they alter the testmode ROM checking like the phoenix fixes do also because as I mentioned before that is another issue that can happen with data corruption over time. There are people on this forum who can vouch for that.

There is a big difference between 'working' and 100% decrypted. Personally I would have though just 'working' would not be enough for people who wanted something identical to the original. Its like the CPS1 fixes. Many of those are 'working' but only 1 or 2 of them are 100% correct, all the others have issues with incorrect layer priorities in places. To test this type of CPS2 fix to be 100% good cannot happen just through playing the game on real hardware, the games are just to complex. There is no way you will every be able to play it so every encrypted and decrypted location is read as needed. As I have pointed out already many errors will have no noticeable effect on screen while other can cause lockups and freezes.

So my advice to them is to place something n their fixes so people know what revision of their fix it is and that it is one of their fixes present in the game....

Asure

Captain Dick,
@Raz, does this same issue apply to CPS-3? I recall Darksoft asked to play those games so that decrypted roms could be stored, but what happens when there's an exception?
i.e. someone never did a fireball in mid air just when guile was doing a 360 flip kick or something like that occurs? Can we know for sure that the decryption is 100% on CPS-3?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
You can know if every location in the program memory has been checked or not....

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The Divine Hand has made a Divine Move. :eek_2:

images

Hey Raz. Progear and HSF2 are the most common boots on the CPS2 market. If you're going to take a quick look at a set of idc/leo roms, could you take a quick look at these, plz?

Last edited: