Genesis version of fatal fury 2= possible best version?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I just made this a few minutes ago. Very braindead stuff here. If you think it, it will combo.

Keep in mind, all of the juggling and the use of DMs in yellow health are achieved with the dipswitch setting.

However, even without the setting, the game is still quite combo friendly as others have mentioned in the old posts above.

EDIT: For those interested in using the dipswitch settings, see post #25.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I haven't touched it since something like 1998.

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
I played a ton of the 1st Fatal Fury on the Genesis, but never the 2nd one. Looks like I missed out! Looking at the other Neo-Geo to Genesis ports, King of the Monsters 2 was also changed to be a normal fighting game... is that one any good?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I just made this a few minutes ago. Very braindead stuff here. If you think it, it will combo.

Keep in mind, all of the juggling and the use of DMs in yellow health are achieved with the dipswitch setting.

However, even without the setting, the game is still quite combo friendly as others have mentioned in the old posts above.

EDIT: For those interested in using the dipswitch settings, see post #25.
Now that is just insane you just murder big bear there :eek:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Looking at the other Neo-Geo to Genesis ports, King of the Monsters 2 was also changed to be a normal fighting game... is that one any good?

It's a bit weird, it wants to be both a wrestler (ala KOTM), fighting game, and a beat 'em up at the same time but succeeds as none. I don't really understand why Takara decided to go with such a complete and total change for the port. The grappling and joystick motion specials make it a crappy wrestler but the power ups and plane of movement make it shitty for a fighter. Imagine an entire game based on the versus mode of Streets of Rage 2, or better yet Deadly Moves with a larger plane of movement.

Fun Fact: KotM2 is a dual-language cart so if you flip your console you'll have the Japanese version with corresponding names, yet the game was never released in Japan.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I dug this back out tonight to try out Pyron's color patch that was released some time ago, which reminded me of choosing some completely weird-ass color schemes with the dipswitch code back when the game was first released. Before I got into the patch I went to refresh my memory to make sure I hadn't imagined all that.

Although I had played around with stupid combos since then I hadn't looked at the alternate costume colors in 20+ years. Wow, 48 available color schemes per character?!? They even managed to keep almost all the skin tones intact without falling into green skinned characters like in SSFII. To cap that off, all 48 of these even carry over to your character's portrait in the post-fight dialogue screen. Crazy shit.

Last edited:

GreyFox

n00b
Wow!

I only played the Megadrive port of Fatal Fury 2 a little bit and remember being impressed in terms of the quality of the port (large colourful sprites, good animation, the backgrounds, the music, the hit detection , controls etc) Seemed one of the better Megadrive fighters.

Never realised it was so combo laden. Makes Killer Instinct look lacking in the combo department :)

Boki

New Challenger
I was watching some combo videos for fatal fury special the other day when I noticed some fatal fury 2 combo videos linked in the related videos, Fatal fury 2 is REALLY not a very combo friendly game so I had to click out of curiosity.

wow, it looks like takara took some big liberties with the port and added a more fatal fury special like system to FF2, after testing it out in a emulator breifly it's actually alot of fun.

This might not be news to some of you but the search function found nothing on this. I hate to say it, I actually prefer the gameplay of the genesis version.....FFS still pisses all over both versions though.

You call this combos, I call this infinites. These are glitches, and in my opinion, it's better if there isn't any. When you play against computer OK, but in 2 players mode? The first hitting wins, that's clear. They should have added "one shoot one kill", it would be the same. Here plus you have to wait for the second round to play... Means if you are combo'ed in both rounds, you touched pad 2 times. Neo-Geo is the original, but I understand those nostalgic playing these. I was doing the same at first, in AOF megadrive, even after buying a Neo-Geo, because Lee has a better charge kick move, Mr Karate is faster, etc...

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
You call this combos, I call this infinites. These are glitches, and in my opinion, it's better if there isn't any. When you play against computer OK, but in 2 players mode? The first hitting wins, that's clear.

Expect for the part where most of the combos/infinites in that video used desperation moves.

Leback

Stakes Winner
I also played a lot of Fatal Fury on the Megadrive. Remember it lacked the intro, but it played good. Didn't know that the sequel was released on the system. But I played it on the AES when I got the chance to borrow the system for a few months during the mid-nineties. Own FF Special, but was thinking of buying the first one for nostalgic reasons... Cant't stand the US insert though, was it the same in Euro?