Genesis version of fatal fury 2= possible best version?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I was watching some combo videos for fatal fury special the other day when I noticed some fatal fury 2 combo videos linked in the related videos, Fatal fury 2 is REALLY not a very combo friendly game so I had to click out of curiosity.

wow, it looks like takara took some big liberties with the port and added a more fatal fury special like system to FF2, after testing it out in a emulator breifly it's actually alot of fun.

This might not be news to some of you but the search function found nothing on this. I hate to say it, I actually prefer the gameplay of the genesis version.....FFS still pisses all over both versions though.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This may sound gay, but when I was a teenager I preferred the Genesis version simply because hits actually sounded like hits. If you listened to the SNES version, they sounded like two sticks hitting together. Also, if Kim ever connected with his DM, you'd hear no sound effects of all those hits until the last slash kick, which sounded like two sticks.

I remember the Genesis version playing a lot better, too. Like you said, they took liberties which allowed actual combos. Instead of being pushed back, the characters sort of twitched in place, allowing for follow up hits.

Watching this video reminded me that everybody sounded like Andy when they were KO'd, too.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
to be honest I actually had no idea FF2 was on the snes, as a kid I only played FF1 and special on snes. looking on youtube just now, the snes version does sound quite inferior and gameplay looks more like a snes port of FF2 rather than the crazy loose engine combo friendly game it is on genesis.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
the snes port se's sounded like farts..
I love krauser's genesis theme also. Sounds pretty sick.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Never realized that FF2 had dizzies. XD

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Looking at the genesis FF2 recently and i didn't know you could pull off sick combos like that.

Hmmm and i do find it simpler to play then the original on the neo-geo.

Last edited:

jon713

Camel Slug
I also prefer the Genesis version, game play seemed more fluid than the SNES. I played more of FFS though.

FF2 and FFS have one of the best soundtracks IMO:
Tung, Mai, BigBear, Kim.....just awesome

sick video!

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Not too bad graphics either, first time I seen Billy in those colours.
I never got this game on either system as had it on the Neo Geo :) ..........I did get fatal fury though when it was ported on the genesis.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
FF2 on Gen/Megadrive is batshit crazy. I mean, it’s still fun, but the things you can do in that one are just nuts. Still did most of my FF2-ing in the arcades. The first time you see Krauser’s intro is like a turning point in a gamer’s life.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Most recently mark of CGR did a review of the genesis version :buttrock:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
Most recently mark of CGR did a review of the genesis version :buttrock:

haha actually I totally commented basically the same shit I posted in this thread on the comments, don't supose you are "progearspec" who just replied huh.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
haha actually I totally commented basically the same shit I posted in this thread on the comments, don't supose you are "progearspec" who just replied huh.
Yes i do go by the name progearspec on yt.I still stand by my statement i prefer the genesis version of FF2 more compared to the original.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I've discussed this in great detail with some local friends of mine back in the day, and I would like to know what the Neoscene thinks...

Its my personal feeling that even tho the additions DO make the game play better, when dealing with a port its either like the original or it isn't. I think it would be OK to make changes if the name was also changed however. Lets say for sake of this topic they had called the Genesis version FF2:Ex. If that was the case I could feel confident in saying FF2:Ex plays better then the arcade FF2. But, because no name changes exists, all I can accurately say is... FF2 on Genesis game play is not accurate to the arcade version. My friends maintained I was just an asshole, and the Genesis version was better. So who was/is right? Is it an inaccurate port? Is it a superior port? Can a port of a game ever be superior to its original, being that its a port and not a clearly labeled remix or enhanced version?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I've discussed this in great detail with some local friends of mine back in the day, and I would like to know what the Neoscene thinks...

Its my personal feeling that even tho the additions DO make the game play better, when dealing with a port its either like the original or it isn't. I think it would be OK to make changes if the name was also changed however. Lets say for sake of this topic they had called the Genesis version FF2:Ex. If that was the case I could feel confident in saying FF2:Ex plays better then the arcade FF2. But, because no name changes exists, all I can accurately say is... FF2 on Genesis game play is not accurate to the arcade version. My friends maintained I was just an asshole, and the Genesis version was better. So who was/is right? Is it an inaccurate port? Is it a superior port? Can a port of a game ever be superior to its original, being that its a port and not a clearly labeled remix or enhanced version?

sounds like you are both right really, FF2 is a bad port, the gameplay is different and the graphics suck, if we are judging the game purely using the neogeo version as a measuring stick, it definitely isn't accurate and therefore you could consider it a bad port. But bad port doesn't mean bad game and in this case it's alot more fun than the orriginal. It's like alot of NES games, ever play contra or super contra in the arcade? the NES versions are stripped down as hell and not very accurate to the arcade, but damn if the games are not way better IMO.

anyway point is just good port and good game are not mutually exclusive and in the case of FF2, not being a good port was beneficial for it being a good game :)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Takara was taking liberties with the first FF also. You could play as any of the other characters aside from the usual 3 in VS mode. At least they weren't making lazy ports.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Lazy ports, no. In fact it was a rather impressive effort, the Neo was such a superior machine to the Genesis in just about every way imaginable. Even the SNES version (while lacking the more advanced combos) had the expanded Vs. mode, and looked pretty good (better then Genesis anyway) at the same time. But was it accurate to the source material? No. Point taken about Contra NES, this is prob the greatest/best example of an adaptation surpassing the original purely in terms of game play. Really I was looking for the arcade experience at home as a kid, lacking the cash necessary to own a AES or Supergun/PCBs I had to make dew with imperfections.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
This may sound gay, but when I was a teenager I preferred the Genesis version simply because hits actually sounded like hits. If you listened to the SNES version, they sounded like two sticks hitting together. Also, if Kim ever connected with his DM, you'd hear no sound effects of all those hits until the last slash kick, which sounded like two sticks.

I remember the Genesis version playing a lot better, too. Like you said, they took liberties which allowed actual combos. Instead of being pushed back, the characters sort of twitched in place, allowing for follow up hits.

Watching this video reminded me that everybody sounded like Andy when they were KO'd, too.

+1
So True, like the Mortal Kombat's, the genesis/megadrive versions where much better than the snes ones.
Nintendo censored so much on the 90's games, on the snes MK version, you didnt got blood for example

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Definitely! Soul Calibur on Dreamcast is one!

DreamCast and Saturn fighting games where very good, i have a very big collection of DC and Sat games.

btw... Gona play my DC Soul Calibur, when i get home :D

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Necrobump.

So I finally got around to picking up Fatal Fury 2 for the genesis….and when using the dipswitch code,this port makes Real Bout Special look like Neo Geo Fatal Fury 2.

The combo (and even more so the juggle) possibilities in this game are absurd.

30 hit Cheng light kick infinite, followed by fireball juggles in the corner AFTER you've killed your opponent.
Talk about a way to make up for not being Fatal Fury Special..

EDIT: OK, it's a mess.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Necrobump.

So I finally got around to picking up Fatal Fury 2 for the genesis….and when using the dipswitch code,this port makes Real Bout Special look like Neo Geo Fatal Fury 2.

The combo (and even more so the juggle) possibilities in this game are absurd.

30 hit Cheng light kick infinite, followed by fireball juggles in the corner AFTER you've killed your opponent.
Talk about a way to make up for not being Fatal Fury Special..

EDIT: OK, it's a mess.

Damn! Cheng has a 30 hit infinite light kick?!?! I gotta pop on the emulator. To be honest before today I never even though twice about playing. the Gen version now I have to!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Damn! Cheng has a 30 hit infinite light kick?!?! I gotta pop on the emulator. To be honest before today I never even though twice about playing. the Gen version now I have to!

Yes. This combo can be done WITHOUT the dipswitch cheat. Hold forward and tap light kick as fast as possible.

I find performing the dipswitch code a bit tricky. :qcb::downb::forw: Y at the Takara logo.

You can get away with inputting :qcb::hcf: Y too though.

Afterwards, go into the "test" setting within the option menu. Highlight "Dip SW" and set the digits to "00011100". This will allow the absurd juggles, the post death hits etc.

You can use the four boss characters by highlighting Mai at the character select screen and hitting down + start. Once you see Billy, keeping tapping right.

This port IMO is the only reason to play Fatal Fury 2. That's assuming as long as Neo FF2 doesn't have some sort of holy nostalgic place in your heart of course.

EDIT: Thanks to GohanX for hooking it up. I really didn't feel like buying the game on ebay.

Last edited: