Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Genesis version of fatal fury 2= possible best version?

  1. #1
    Rosa's Tag-Tea
    complexz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    vancouver BC canada

    Posts
    3,212

    Genesis version of fatal fury 2= possible best version?

    I was watching some combo videos for fatal fury special the other day when I noticed some fatal fury 2 combo videos linked in the related videos, Fatal fury 2 is REALLY not a very combo friendly game so I had to click out of curiosity.

    wow, it looks like takara took some big liberties with the port and added a more fatal fury special like system to FF2, after testing it out in a emulator breifly it's actually alot of fun.



    This might not be news to some of you but the search function found nothing on this. I hate to say it, I actually prefer the gameplay of the genesis version.....FFS still pisses all over both versions though.

    psn: mistercomplexz SFV fighter ID1:mistercomplexz ID2:JEESHYNESS
    Jee Shyness, dirty analogue hiphop and electronic beats.

  2. #2
    Made of Wood SonGohan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lawton, OK

    Posts
    23,524
    This may sound gay, but when I was a teenager I preferred the Genesis version simply because hits actually sounded like hits. If you listened to the SNES version, they sounded like two sticks hitting together. Also, if Kim ever connected with his DM, you'd hear no sound effects of all those hits until the last slash kick, which sounded like two sticks.

    I remember the Genesis version playing a lot better, too. Like you said, they took liberties which allowed actual combos. Instead of being pushed back, the characters sort of twitched in place, allowing for follow up hits.

    Watching this video reminded me that everybody sounded like Andy when they were KO'd, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    I'm not beating my girlfriend. I swear to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResO View Post
    You made it very clear that no guy has fucked you in the ass.

  3. #3
    Rosa's Tag-Tea
    complexz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    vancouver BC canada

    Posts
    3,212
    to be honest I actually had no idea FF2 was on the snes, as a kid I only played FF1 and special on snes. looking on youtube just now, the snes version does sound quite inferior and gameplay looks more like a snes port of FF2 rather than the crazy loose engine combo friendly game it is on genesis.

    psn: mistercomplexz SFV fighter ID1:mistercomplexz ID2:JEESHYNESS
    Jee Shyness, dirty analogue hiphop and electronic beats.

  4. #4
    Earl of Sexyheim LWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Southern California. Neo Candy Central!

    Posts
    18,048
    the snes port se's sounded like farts..
    I love krauser's genesis theme also. Sounds pretty sick.
    All my tutorial videos, combo videos, bug video's and general gaming videos can be found on my youtube. Youtube.com/URLWK


    Quote Originally Posted by loegan43 View Post
    I bet there's nothing like playing Street Fighter II with 9-buttons and a giant steering wheel pressed against your nuts.

  5. #5
    . SNKorSWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Haven, CT

    Posts
    15,159
    Never realized that FF2 had dizzies. XD

  6. #6
    Ralf's Drinking Buddy
    Tron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland the part that sucks ~_~

    Posts
    7,060
    Looking at the genesis FF2 recently and i didn't know you could pull off sick combos like that.

    Hmmm and i do find it simpler to play then the original on the neo-geo.
    Last edited by Tron; 01-19-2012 at 06:43 AM.

    PSN:MrNeoGeo
    Wii U:Progearspec

  7. #7
    Fio's Quartermaster
    jon713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA

    Posts
    637
    I also prefer the Genesis version, game play seemed more fluid than the SNES. I played more of FFS though.

    FF2 and FFS have one of the best soundtracks IMO:
    Tung, Mai, BigBear, Kim.....just awesome

    sick video!
    Last edited by jon713; 01-18-2012 at 10:29 AM.

  8. #8
    Why So Serious

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    England

    Posts
    7,362
    Not too bad graphics either, first time I seen Billy in those colours.
    I never got this game on either system as had it on the Neo Geo ..........I did get fatal fury though when it was ported on the genesis.

  9. #9
    neo retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    US

    Posts
    10,816
    no shit...

  10. #10
    Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
    Professor Denim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Where the Eagles land and the Lions cry

    Posts
    1,600

  11. #11
    Made of Wood SonGohan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lawton, OK

    Posts
    23,524
    Why would you use fraps to record that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Steel View Post
    I'm not beating my girlfriend. I swear to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResO View Post
    You made it very clear that no guy has fucked you in the ass.

  12. #12
    Mickey's Coach
    Sixth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    738
    FF2 on Gen/Megadrive is batshit crazy. I mean, it’s still fun, but the things you can do in that one are just nuts. Still did most of my FF2-ing in the arcades. The first time you see Krauser’s intro is like a turning point in a gamer’s life.

  13. #13
    Ralf's Drinking Buddy
    Tron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland the part that sucks ~_~

    Posts
    7,060
    Most recently mark of CGR did a review of the genesis version

    PSN:MrNeoGeo
    Wii U:Progearspec

  14. #14
    Rosa's Tag-Tea
    complexz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    vancouver BC canada

    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron View Post
    Most recently mark of CGR did a review of the genesis version
    haha actually I totally commented basically the same shit I posted in this thread on the comments, don't supose you are "progearspec" who just replied huh.

    psn: mistercomplexz SFV fighter ID1:mistercomplexz ID2:JEESHYNESS
    Jee Shyness, dirty analogue hiphop and electronic beats.

  15. #15
    Ralf's Drinking Buddy
    Tron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maryland the part that sucks ~_~

    Posts
    7,060
    Quote Originally Posted by XcomplexzX View Post
    haha actually I totally commented basically the same shit I posted in this thread on the comments, don't supose you are "progearspec" who just replied huh.
    Yes i do go by the name progearspec on yt.I still stand by my statement i prefer the genesis version of FF2 more compared to the original.

    PSN:MrNeoGeo
    Wii U:Progearspec

  16. #16
    Krauser's Henchman

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    my crack den with Dr Shroom

    Posts
    1,089
    I've discussed this in great detail with some local friends of mine back in the day, and I would like to know what the Neoscene thinks...

    Its my personal feeling that even tho the additions DO make the game play better, when dealing with a port its either like the original or it isn't. I think it would be OK to make changes if the name was also changed however. Lets say for sake of this topic they had called the Genesis version FF2:Ex. If that was the case I could feel confident in saying FF2:Ex plays better then the arcade FF2. But, because no name changes exists, all I can accurately say is... FF2 on Genesis game play is not accurate to the arcade version. My friends maintained I was just an asshole, and the Genesis version was better. So who was/is right? Is it an inaccurate port? Is it a superior port? Can a port of a game ever be superior to its original, being that its a port and not a clearly labeled remix or enhanced version?

  17. #17
    Mickey's Coach
    Kaioh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ripley, TN

    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassin000 View Post
    Can a port of a game ever be superior to its original, being that its a port and not a clearly labeled remix or enhanced version?
    Definitely! Soul Calibur on Dreamcast is one!


    Nintendo Network ID: Kaioh85
    Steam: Kaioh

  18. #18
    Rosa's Tag-Tea
    complexz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    vancouver BC canada

    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Jassin000 View Post
    I've discussed this in great detail with some local friends of mine back in the day, and I would like to know what the Neoscene thinks...

    Its my personal feeling that even tho the additions DO make the game play better, when dealing with a port its either like the original or it isn't. I think it would be OK to make changes if the name was also changed however. Lets say for sake of this topic they had called the Genesis version FF2:Ex. If that was the case I could feel confident in saying FF2:Ex plays better then the arcade FF2. But, because no name changes exists, all I can accurately say is... FF2 on Genesis game play is not accurate to the arcade version. My friends maintained I was just an asshole, and the Genesis version was better. So who was/is right? Is it an inaccurate port? Is it a superior port? Can a port of a game ever be superior to its original, being that its a port and not a clearly labeled remix or enhanced version?
    sounds like you are both right really, FF2 is a bad port, the gameplay is different and the graphics suck, if we are judging the game purely using the neogeo version as a measuring stick, it definitely isn't accurate and therefore you could consider it a bad port. But bad port doesn't mean bad game and in this case it's alot more fun than the orriginal. It's like alot of NES games, ever play contra or super contra in the arcade? the NES versions are stripped down as hell and not very accurate to the arcade, but damn if the games are not way better IMO.

    anyway point is just good port and good game are not mutually exclusive and in the case of FF2, not being a good port was beneficial for it being a good game

    psn: mistercomplexz SFV fighter ID1:mistercomplexz ID2:JEESHYNESS
    Jee Shyness, dirty analogue hiphop and electronic beats.

  19. #19
    . SNKorSWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    West Haven, CT

    Posts
    15,159
    Takara was taking liberties with the first FF also. You could play as any of the other characters aside from the usual 3 in VS mode. At least they weren't making lazy ports.

  20. #20
    Krauser's Henchman

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    my crack den with Dr Shroom

    Posts
    1,089
    Lazy ports, no. In fact it was a rather impressive effort, the Neo was such a superior machine to the Genesis in just about every way imaginable. Even the SNES version (while lacking the more advanced combos) had the expanded Vs. mode, and looked pretty good (better then Genesis anyway) at the same time. But was it accurate to the source material? No. Point taken about Contra NES, this is prob the greatest/best example of an adaptation surpassing the original purely in terms of game play. Really I was looking for the arcade experience at home as a kid, lacking the cash necessary to own a AES or Supergun/PCBs I had to make dew with imperfections.

  21. #21
    Astra Superstar
    dragonpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ネオジオCO、ポルトガル

    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Soilwork View Post
    This may sound gay, but when I was a teenager I preferred the Genesis version simply because hits actually sounded like hits. If you listened to the SNES version, they sounded like two sticks hitting together. Also, if Kim ever connected with his DM, you'd hear no sound effects of all those hits until the last slash kick, which sounded like two sticks.

    I remember the Genesis version playing a lot better, too. Like you said, they took liberties which allowed actual combos. Instead of being pushed back, the characters sort of twitched in place, allowing for follow up hits.

    Watching this video reminded me that everybody sounded like Andy when they were KO'd, too.
    +1
    So True, like the Mortal Kombat's, the genesis/megadrive versions where much better than the snes ones.
    Nintendo censored so much on the 90's games, on the snes MK version, you didnt got blood for example
    Hyper Neo Geo 64 / Neo Geo CD - Top Loader / Neo Geo Poket Color/ Neo MVS - MV1FZ / 1B / 4F

  22. #22
    Astra Superstar
    dragonpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ネオジオCO、ポルトガル

    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaioh View Post
    Definitely! Soul Calibur on Dreamcast is one!
    DreamCast and Saturn fighting games where very good, i have a very big collection of DC and Sat games.

    btw... Gona play my DC Soul Calibur, when i get home
    Hyper Neo Geo 64 / Neo Geo CD - Top Loader / Neo Geo Poket Color/ Neo MVS - MV1FZ / 1B / 4F

  23. #23
    Crossed Swords Knight
    andsuchisdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Posts
    5,895
    Necrobump.

    So I finally got around to picking up Fatal Fury 2 for the genesis….and when using the dipswitch code,this port makes Real Bout Special look like Neo Geo Fatal Fury 2.

    The combo (and even more so the juggle) possibilities in this game are absurd.

    30 hit Cheng light kick infinite, followed by fireball juggles in the corner AFTER you've killed your opponent.
    Talk about a way to make up for not being Fatal Fury Special..

    EDIT: OK, it's a mess.
    Last edited by andsuchisdeath; 07-28-2014 at 03:21 AM.

  24. #24
    Robot Master.
    Master Tasuke
    Eat Your
    Heart Out Bro'
    GutsDozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Metairie, LA

    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by andsuchisdeath View Post
    Necrobump.

    So I finally got around to picking up Fatal Fury 2 for the genesis….and when using the dipswitch code,this port makes Real Bout Special look like Neo Geo Fatal Fury 2.

    The combo (and even more so the juggle) possibilities in this game are absurd.

    30 hit Cheng light kick infinite, followed by fireball juggles in the corner AFTER you've killed your opponent.
    Talk about a way to make up for not being Fatal Fury Special..

    EDIT: OK, it's a mess.
    Damn! Cheng has a 30 hit infinite light kick?!?! I gotta pop on the emulator. To be honest before today I never even though twice about playing. the Gen version now I have to!
    Hit detection. it's all about hit detection.

  25. #25
    Crossed Swords Knight
    andsuchisdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts

    Posts
    5,895
    Quote Originally Posted by GutsDozer View Post
    Damn! Cheng has a 30 hit infinite light kick?!?! I gotta pop on the emulator. To be honest before today I never even though twice about playing. the Gen version now I have to!
    Yes. This combo can be done WITHOUT the dipswitch cheat. Hold forward and tap light kick as fast as possible.

    I find performing the dipswitch code a bit tricky. Y at the Takara logo.

    You can get away with inputting Y too though.

    Afterwards, go into the "test" setting within the option menu. Highlight "Dip SW" and set the digits to "00011100". This will allow the absurd juggles, the post death hits etc.

    You can use the four boss characters by highlighting Mai at the character select screen and hitting down + start. Once you see Billy, keeping tapping right.

    This port IMO is the only reason to play Fatal Fury 2. That's assuming as long as Neo FF2 doesn't have some sort of holy nostalgic place in your heart of course.

    EDIT: Thanks to GohanX for hooking it up. I really didn't feel like buying the game on ebay.
    Last edited by andsuchisdeath; 07-28-2014 at 05:39 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •