BILLY KANE COMING TO THE CONSOLE VERSION OF KOF XIII

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I've played the dump two times.

Once to play the FF team and see their story, because I love FF and Terry Bogard is my favorite character in all of video games.

A second time for the AOF team to see their ending because I realy just love that cast of characters and seeing them interact.

Trust me, OE and Cyr...you will not be disappointed.

If SNK-P can find a way to make people care about this release enough to check it out, they will be happy. It will require stellar netcode to attach to the mass market. But if they can pull that off and word of mouth is good, I think there is no problem with this game matching Blazblue's relevance in the market.

And from there...who knows?

<---foolishly eternal optimist

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Yeah, Crapcom knows how to hype up and milk their customers with their crappy releases...Now, I'm not saying SNKP's track record has exactly been great, but KoFXIII is definitely looking to be their best release in a long time. I think it will be pretty hype. I know I'll be hyping up the game at the gamerooms at anime conventions.

That's not what I'm saying at all. SNK-P totally fucked up last time because XII was such a unpolished title. Capcom has been on the ball with releasing polished mostly glitchless games. Yea I'm not a fan of having to constantly rebuy SF4, but each release is again a solid improvement on the old model.

When XIII came out it was such a god damn mess. Mature would crash the game just by doing damn near anything, Loads of infinites, and Hwa Jai flew off the screen if he felt so inclined. It was another case of SNK-P just doing a fuck load of nothing right. They at least listened and patched most of the broken shit, and now they are adding more to the roster, which shows to me that they actually give a damn.

Now, I understand SNK-P doesn't have the staff capcom has, and because of that its going to be much harder for them to release the same level of product, but they need to prove that even with fewer resources they can make something truly great and fun to play. The characters are iconic to some level, but now the gameplay needs to not be a complete busted mess and for the love of god the netcode needs to work.

I want to like this game, and I want it to do well, but after XII I'm not going to just accept XIII. It has to win me over. This isn't 2005 where I am willing to take any scraps thrown at me because we don't have many fighters coming out. We're in 2011 and fighters have come back full force and the quality has really jumped up.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
A better scan of Billy's in-game screen shot:

billy1.jpg

http://www.the-magicbox.com/1106/game110629a.shtml

Edit: is that a new background in the screen shot on the right?

Last edited:

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
That's not what I'm saying at all. SNK-P totally fucked up last time because XII was such a unpolished title. Capcom has been on the ball with releasing polished mostly glitchless games. Yea I'm not a fan of having to constantly rebuy SF4, but each release is again a solid improvement on the old model.

When XIII came out it was such a god damn mess. Mature would crash the game just by doing damn near anything, Loads of infinites, and Hwa Jai flew off the screen if he felt so inclined. It was another case of SNK-P just doing a fuck load of nothing right. They at least listened and patched most of the broken shit, and now they are adding more to the roster, which shows to me that they actually give a damn.

Now, I understand SNK-P doesn't have the staff capcom has, and because of that its going to be much harder for them to release the same level of product, but they need to prove that even with fewer resources they can make something truly great and fun to play. The characters are iconic to some level, but now the gameplay needs to not be a complete busted mess and for the love of god the netcode needs to work.

I want to like this game, and I want it to do well, but after XII I'm not going to just accept XIII. It has to win me over. This isn't 2005 where I am willing to take any scraps thrown at me because we don't have many fighters coming out. We're in 2011 and fighters have come back full force and the quality has really jumped up.

I totally agree with you on every point. I can't debate how well programmed or glitch free Capcom's games are in general, but what I was referring was how bad I find their games to be these days. Marvel 3 and SF4 especially, but that's just me. KoF XIII's console release is looking to be a refreshing change of pace as far as fighting games go and I think the scene needs it. But as you said, the gameplay needs to run well and so does the netcode.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I've played the dump two times.

Once to play the FF team and see their story, because I love FF and Terry Bogard is my favorite character in all of video games.

A second time for the AOF team to see their ending because I realy just love that cast of characters and seeing them interact.

Trust me, OE and Cyr...you will not be disappointed.

If SNK-P can find a way to make people care about this release enough to check it out, they will be happy. It will require stellar netcode to attach to the mass market. But if they can pull that off and word of mouth is good, I think there is no problem with this game matching Blazblue's relevance in the market.

And from there...who knows?

<---foolishly eternal optimist

I guess it isn't obvious at all I'm a huge Terry fan as well, haha. *points at avatar* Love the Art of Fighting characters as well.

I am almost certain that Atlus will insure good netcode. There's no way the game would sell well otherwise, and I am sure they know that as well, especially after the debacle that was XII. And as much as it looks like they're patching up the gameplay and adding characters, I see no reason why the game won't at least get solid word of mouth.

I for one plan to visit Gamestop on release day, dressed up as Terry Bogard. XD

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I for one plan to visit Gamestop on release day, dressed up as Terry Bogard. XD

I should go to the same Gamestop dressed as Akuma and let you (fake) beat me up.

Akuma because he's Capcom and it'd be a profound affirmation of how I felt during my younger, more enthusiastic fighting game days, which these releases are stirring within me.

Fake because I don't like being hit for real.

I don't know why I just bothered explaining all that.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
All other fighters can go to hell. KOF XII played amazing on local play vs. It just did, to deny it would be unjustified. Yes, the online netcode sucked, yes 1P mode sucked balls, yes the lack of boss sucks and yes the character roster was short of some real gems, but still KOF XII plays and looks insane. A true nex step on pixelated art.

KOF XIII is going to be great, I don't like teh design of the Boss 'cause he looks just like a BOSS out of KOF Impact or something, however I can live with that, to me KOF has always been about vs play, I don't really mind if the boss loooks like a broad or anything like that. Hell it would be awesome to have Geese as the boss, after all he is the baddest villain in the SNK universe, everyone else is just an afterthought.

I say bring back AOF2 Geese, like Neowave did.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
KOF XII local play was underrated, but its downfall was the fact that the custom combo system was linked to a counterhit. After the first few months, this led to games where ppl just spammed standing Cs and Ds to regain control of a match. In XIII, you start a combo, BC activate, and continue into a custom combo. Much, much better system.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
KOF XII local play was underrated, but its downfall was the fact that the custom combo system was linked to a counterhit. After the first few months, this led to games where ppl just spammed standing Cs and Ds to regain control of a match. In XIII, you start a combo, BC activate, and continue into a custom combo. Much, much better system.

Exactly. The system was flawed in XII in addition to all of the other problems. The critical counter system was the worst thing about XII. Making this more like 2k2 was the best decision they could have made. That's what saved XIII IMO.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I totally agree with you on every point. I can't debate how well programmed or glitch free Capcom's games are in general, but what I was referring was how bad I find their games to be these days. Marvel 3 and SF4 especially, but that's just me. KoF XIII's console release is looking to be a refreshing change of pace as far as fighting games go and I think the scene needs it. But as you said, the gameplay needs to run well and so does the netcode.

I can't disagree with your opinion.

Electric Grave said:
KOF XIII is going to be great, I don't like teh design of the Boss 'cause he looks just like a BOSS out of KOF Impact or something, however I can live with that, to me KOF has always been about vs play, I don't really mind if the boss loooks like a broad or anything like that. Hell it would be awesome to have Geese as the boss, after all he is the baddest villain in the SNK universe, everyone else is just an afterthought.

Hell, just make a new Fatal Fury.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
billy2.jpg

New cutscenes/intro as well?

I spy Shroom and Rimelo in full illustration glory. :)

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I should go to the same Gamestop dressed as Akuma and let you (fake) beat me up. Akuma because he's Capcom and it'd be a profound affirmation of how I felt during my younger, more enthusiastic fighting game days, which these releases are stirring within me. Fake because I don't like being hit for real. I don't know why I just bothered explaining all that.

If we did meet at the same Gamestop we could always choreograph something, haha.

ElectricGrave - KoFXII did have a lot of promise. I agree that it had its good points but XIII is looking like the complete product, and better every time I hear something new about it.

Hell, just make a new Fatal Fury.

That would be awesome! Only question would be h ow they'd continue the story. With Geese dead in the Fatal Fury continuity, and alive in KoF...wonder how they'd work that out...

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I'm with the people who requested Yamazaki, I'd shit myself if I saw him with an HD sprite.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I keep seeing this on the front page and reading it as 'BILLY ZANE COMING TO THE CONSOLE VERSION OF KOF XIII'

then i get disappointed

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Those backgrounds look nice!
I hope they aren't DLC as well. =(

The scan says 'DLC-character', but that's not related to Billy (but an currently unknown pre-order-character).

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
If I have to guess, I'd say that Billy and the new backgrounds are not DLC. Shito?

Also, as predicted, Billy looks great in his FF 1 gear here.

Also, +1 for new FF game. I vote to continue the Garou story. Use the old game engine and tweak or make the new one in this new art style. I'd love to see some of the characters redrawn but the old game still looks fucking fantastic. It's a win-win.

As much as I love classic FF, I think that's a done deal and if I really want to revisit old FF again, there is no more sublime experience than FFS and FF 3.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Yeah, FF1 outfit ftw...And these new screens are amazing! Looks like this will be an all-the-right-moves release.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
If I have to guess, I'd say that Billy and the new backgrounds are not DLC. Shito?

Also, as predicted, Billy looks great in his FF 1 gear here.

Announced to be DLC, but not on the JPN website. Let's wait and see.

Yeah, Billy is in his original form, not just the outfit. He's skinny and short, the kind of vile bastard using a weapon and just guarding himself if without it. ;)