Adding backup memory to AES?

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Has anyone every done this?

What would it take? It would be handy to save high scores and also to save settings when using the uniBIOS set to MVS mode.

If it can be done, would there be a way to make it save more than just the last 8 games?

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
I think NTM and flavor are the right people to ask about this!
but I guess high scores saves are not supported by the latest AES unibios if I remember correctly!

I want to know too!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you did do it you would have to run it in MVS mode to save the high scores. AES only holds data for the current game being played.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
thank you caren103!

what neo-geo man means is an integrated memory like MVS mobo's have so they behave like those but in high capacity like the NeoSaveMasta all this on AES mobo's! if I got it right!

you can transfer saves already with a pc2neo supported by unibios 3.0!

NEO-GEO man

Yep, that is what im looking for MastaMuss, it would be good to be able to save the high scores and settings.

I asked about this for the memory card and its not supported yet, but it would be perfect if later on it was added. Id rather have my high scores saved instead of being able to save the stage i ran out of credits!!

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
yup I am interested on it too but I remember Raz saying that is not supported on AES for the high score save, so probably that means that whenever if ever NTM plans on working on an integrated memory for AES like he is doing for NGCD then Raz and NTM have to work as a team to develop something like that! hopefully someday but I really don't think that will be soon if ever!

this could be the dream team of NG.com Raz, NTM, Flavor, MKL, Xian Xi gee they should join forces to get something good going!
something like the NEO-STAR, that could be the ultimate machine!

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Yeah they can take as long as they like, i will still be around and still just as interested if they ever do it ;)

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Has anyone every done this?

What would it take? It would be handy to save high scores and also to save settings when using the uniBIOS set to MVS mode.

If it can be done, would there be a way to make it save more than just the last 8 games?

I think this has been done by a member or 2 here (DavidG comes to mind?) but I believe it's one of those things that's highly dependant on which model Neo you have.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The hardware side of the matter doesn't present particular problems. You bulid a subboard with a couple of 256K SRAMs, battery circuit, a few logic gates. The RAM address and data buses need to be hardwired to the bios (or the CPU) and that amounts to 23 wires. Then you need to do the same for the enables that are on the NEO-C1 (for later AES revisions) and that's not for noobs given the very fine pitch of this GPU (0.65mm vs 2.54mm of the bios/68K). A few other connections I won't mention and that's it. So it's about 30 wires that need to be soldered on the AES motherboard. Can't be done as a kit 'cause the noobs will no doubt screw it up.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
literally is an open-heart surgery on the Neo! just for pro's, given the price of sram also expensive, well not for me at the moment, I rather play on MVS cause my scores are not worth saving anyway!

Thanks MKL for the ray of light on this question!

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
The hardware side of the matter doesn't present particular problems. You bulid a subboard with a couple of 256K SRAMs, battery circuit, a few logic gates. The RAM address and data buses need to be hardwired to the bios (or the CPU) and that amounts to 23 wires. Then you need to do the same for the enables that are on the NEO-C1 (for later AES revisions) and that's not for noobs given the very fine pitch of this GPU (0.65mm vs 2.54mm of the bios/68K). A few other connections I won't mention and that's it. So it's about 30 wires that need to be soldered on the AES motherboard. Can't be done as a kit 'cause the noobs will no doubt screw it up.

There ya go. :)