Viewpoint star list

Anselm

Camel Slug
Ok, if this already exists please link it. If not, I want to start a list of all stars in Viewpoint. I will keep updating the first post as I verify each star. Please state difficulty/platform when you post. I'll be playing MVS on default diffculty.

So start listing the ones you know about. You have to be able to clearly state where it appears, and what you think triggers it. I play this game everyday. Happy hunting.

Stage 1: star x 1, power up bug x 1
Star: Past the three walls that must be moved out of your way, there is a mass in the center of a rotating circle. If you destroy this (you will need bombs), a set of enemies appear just after it. Destroy them for a STAR.
IMG_0766reduced-1.jpg

Power Up Bug: Pictured above. It's the item that looks like a power up. To get it, you have to use a flame bomb before the itm is actually on your screen. For me, it works consistently if I set the bomb about a second after I destroy the plus sign enemy for the first star. Just figure out your timing and it will work consistently.

Stage 2: star x 3, power up bug x 3

Star 1: Right at the beginning, if you destroy both of the metroid looking enemies (the ones that duck under water, and then pop up to shoot at you), a STAR will appear.
IMG_0748reduced-1.jpg

Star 2: Just past the section with the blocks that rise out of the ground, if you destroy all of the fish that pop out of the water in a wave, a STAR will appear.
IMG_0747reduced-1.jpg

Star 3: Right after star 2, kill all of the metroid looking enemies that pop out of the water for a STAR.
IMG_0761reduced-1.jpg

Stage 3: star x 1, power up bug x 2

Star:Not confirmed by me yet, but here is what the requirements most likely are:
Requirement: 3 bombs with different colours, power up (attachment), perfect shield (blu colour).

You must destroy the 2 big black eye (black ball) and all 5 millipedes. After the fifth millipede appear a 1up. If you have 3 bombs, but not 3 different colours, you win a Star. If you destroy 1 big black eye and have 3 different bombs you win a star. 1up requirement is difficult.

Stage 4: star x 5, power up bug x 3

Star 1: Destroy wave of rotating discs right at the start of the level for a STAR .
IMG_0749reduced-1.jpg

Star 2: Destory tanks alligned along both sides of wall as you pass through a small opening in a rock wall for a STAR .
IMG_0750reduced-1.jpg

Star 3: Destroy wave of flying discs just past the first flame thrower on the left hand wall for a STAR .
IMG_0751-1.jpg

Star 4: Destroy wave of flying discs that appear just before giant scorpion for a STAR .
IMG_0752reduced-1.jpg

Star 5: Just past the first walker (enemy that walks along side walls spraying giant green bullets), which is several screens past giant scorpion, destroy a twin wave of red and silver vertical discs (they cross paths and shoot back) for a STAR .
IMG_0753reduced-1.jpg

Stage 5: star x 2, power up bug x 5

Star 1: Just before the third boss, a STAR is sitting next to the left wall. Shoot the barrier around it to collect.
IMG_0754reduced-1.jpg

Star 2: Shortly after the fourth boss, right after the first wave of enemies that pop up out of the lava to shoot at you, there is a STAR sitting in the middle of the screen. Shoot the barrier to collect.
IMG_0755reduced-1.jpg

Stage 6: star x 14, power up bug x 1

Star 1: Just past the first walker on the left wall, a set of floor panels pops up in the center. Destroy them for a STAR.
IMG_0756reduced-1.jpg

Six star combo:
Destroy the 1st walker in the beginning of the stage on the left side
Destroy the 5 walkers in this area.
6star1.png

Destroy the walker on the left side of the screen.
6star2.png

If you have destroyed those 7 walkers, you should get six stars by destroying the walker on this platform

WARNING: You must have one of each bomb color, a shield, and side guns or it will not spawn the stars.
6star3.png

Total 41--->500, 1000, 3310, 5000, 10000, 33310, 50000, 81560 x 34 = 2.876.160 pts from these bonuses.

Last edited:

Anselm

Camel Slug
This second post will be for listing where shields and bombs can be found. Like the star list, state platform, difficulty, and what conditions you think triggered it.

Stage 1:
1. Bomb-If you use your fire bomb before the 3 movable walls, a fire bomb will appear on the left side of the screen, just past the third wall. MVS/Default

2. Bomb-Just past the rotating circular wall, missle bombs will appear on the right side of the screen if you already have your attachments. MVS/Default

3. If you have no bombs by the time you get to the slinky looking enemies just before boss, a blue bomb will appear.

Stage 2:

1. Green and Blue bomb are both available right at start of level if you destroy the packs of rotating discs.

Stage 3:

Stage 4:
1. Shield- If you destroy the giant scorpion, a shield will appear. MVS/Default

Blue bomb just before gauntlet of shifting trailers if you don't have any.

Shield in center of screen just after second star.

Stage 5:

Red bomb just past first wave of enemies if you don't have any.

You have a choice between a SHIELD (left wall) or a GREEN BOMB (right wall) several screens past the first boss.

Stage 6:

Last edited:

Gemant

Member,
STAGE 1: star x 1, power up bug x 1
STAGE 2: star x 3, power up bug x 3
STAGE 3: star x 1, power up bug x 2 (you can also take a 1up instead of star, but not both)
STAGE 4: star x 5, power up bug x 3
STAGE 5: star x 2, power up bug x 5
STAGE 6: star x 14, power up bug x 1

Total 41--->500, 1000, 3310, 5000, 10000, 33310, 50000, 81560 x 34 = 2.876.160 pts from these bonus.

Exemple:

podniveau11.png

podniveau12.png

Last edited:

Anselm

Camel Slug
By "power up bug" do you mean it gives you side guns? They should appear at every checkpoint when you die. Also, there are at least two bombs on stage one, so if "power up bug" is an either/or statement for bombs or gun attachments, it's not correct.

I'll add this info to the top tonight. What difficulty/platform did you take the screen shots from? I've never seen both a bomb and power up at the same time as shown in your first pic. (typed on my phone so sorry fir grammar/spelling)

~Anselm~

Gemant

Member,
Power up bug is called "Nazo". Is a special feature in this game, and is very difficult obtain it. When you have already power up, if nazo appear, the value is the same of the star. To take nazo bonus you can use normal shot repeatedly or bombs.

About the photos, is MVS version with default settings in mame.

I've never seen both a bomb and power up at the same time as shown in your first pic

This is the most important secret in this game. I discovered it in 1995.

A good player (with score above 3.000.000) finish the game with 4 or 5 nazo usually.

The WR is nazo x 12....

Anselm

Camel Slug
Power up bug is called "Nazo". Is a special feature in this game, and is very difficult obtain it. When you have already power up, if nazo appear, the value is the same of the star. To take nazo bonus you can use normal shot repeatedly or bombs.

About the photos, is MVS version with default settings in mame.

This is the most important secret in this game. I discovered it in 1995.

A good player (with score above 3.000.000) finish the game with 4 or 5 nazo usually.

The WR is nazo x 12....

Very educating. So how do you obtain a nazo? I see you can get to the first one. Is it a number of kills, a path you have to take, or something less obvious? I don't think I have ever seen a nazo, but if it looks like a power up I may have just ignored it.

~Anselm~

Gemant

Member,
You must use a bomb (different bomb for any nazo) with perfect timing before of the checkpoint when you die. Exemple, stage 1, you can use fire bomb about after the cross enemy.

To obtain the 6 stars in stage 6 there are some hard conditions: destroy 8 walkers, you must have 3 bombs with different colours, shield and power up.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
you must have 3 bombs with different colours, shield and power up.

Ok. So that's why I couldn't get it to spawn consistently. Thanks for listing the conditions.

Anselm

Camel Slug
I have been unable to find the star for level 3. After going through Gemant's list, it seems it's the only one I have never seen before for the first 5 levels. I just ran through level 3 without missing a single enemy (with the exception of the ones that keep spawning from the ground portals as the screen advances). So I'm guessing either I'm missing something, or it's really cleverly hidden. If anyone knows how to find the one star Gemant lists for stage 3, please respond.

~Anselm~

Gemant

Member,
Requirement: 3 bombs with different colours, power up (attachment), perfect shield (blu colour).

You must destroy the 2 big black eye (black ball) and all 5 millipedes. After the fifth millipede appear a 1up. If you have 3 bombs, but not 3 different colours, you win a Star. If you destroy 1 big black eye and have 3 different bombs you win a star. 1up requirement is difficult.

1up has been discovered first time in 2003, after 11 years.

Anselm

Camel Slug

1up has been discovered first time in 2003, after 11 years.

Wow... Gemant where are you geting all of this information from? If it exists somewhere then I'm just wasting my time with this post. If it doesn't exist anywhere but your mind, then you need to start offering up this info without me asking :)

I know for a fact there is a 1-up in stage 6. found that out in 1992. Just don't know what all of the requirements are. Must not be too hard since I see it quite often.

~Anselm~

Gemant

Member,
I played neo geo games from 1992. I tested many techniques on many games. I know tons of strategy, informations and secrets because I play games, I collect infos from: web, japanese site, video and from japanese magazine and forums.

In this last 10 years I see many sites (usually japanese) but now few of them are again up. About Viewpoint I think that all informations are lost (except for something in a french site where 2 players are working to obtain a good score), however, all these informations are all in my mind.

This game has been released in 20 november 1992 in Japan, and first score published has been 3.336.010 in march 1993. From 30 june 1994 a famous player appeared on the scene of this game: U.G.M. with a beginning score of 3.779.730. Him played for 1 year, and the last score was 4.225.690. This score was Nazo x 5 and 1up x 2 (missing 1up in stage 3 because was unknown).

After UGM, in 30 may 2003 appeared the strongest player in the world about this game: Corvuscorax IMU. This player has found a third 1up and some new pattern to obtain a new Nazo bonus.

Anselm

Camel Slug
Very interesting read. I too have played this game since its 1992 release in the USA. But I was the only one I knew who played the game, so my only concern was beating it without dying. I never cared about the hidden items or high score. As a teenager in the early 90's, I had never beaten the fourth boss. In the mid to late 90's, I started searching the internet. Every forum and website I visited had players complaining that the game was too hard, and there must not be anything past level 4, SNK was lying about levels 5 and 6. This made me come back to the game to complete it. Once I was able to beat it, I moved on again to other games.

When I built my arcade machine last year, I made sure I got a copy of Viewpoint (I still own my AES copy). Since I can beat this game without dying now, I've taken my interest in Viewpoint to a new level. Hopefully this thread will bring a few more Viewpoint lovers out of the woodwork to shed light on what I consider to be one of the greatest games ever made.

~Anselm~