RIFT players. Do we have any here?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Currently I'm playing with RBJakeSpecial and Rassilon, but I was wondering if anyone else partakes in this amazing MMO.

We play on US-Akylios, Defiant side.

If anyone wants a free 7-day trial pass, let me know and I will hook you up.

I don't think the game is even 6 months old yet, and I already love it more than WoW (which I played for over 6 years). And now, they've announced free server transfers for both characters AND guilds in the near future. The game just keeps getting better.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Rift is pretty good, it does some nice things with the typical MMO genre and adds some nice stuff to it like the soul system or the fact that there's actually shit to do outside of towns, PvP is pretty good too. What I don't like are the races and the general "soulessness" of the game so I stopped before the end of the free month ( well and my wow guildguys wouldn't follow me probably had something to do with it too) Of course I played on the raging atheists side;)

So yeah, I'd check the trial out.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Ghost Dog and Rassolin got me hooked on Rift. I didn't like WoW or LotRO or ... Warhammer Online, but this game seems pretty damn fun so far. I'm about 20 hours in and just got my first mount.

Eric

Fight On!,
50% off for Memorial Day weekend ($25) but if you do plan to play best to take GD up on his offer so at least he can get some goodies for the referral.

At the moment I'm not really in a position to start playing the game, and I'm not even sure my laptop can handle it, but it does look interesting, and after reading about it I came here to see if anyone was playing it.

Question: Since WoW is probably the only MMO I spent significant time with (most I would just quit after less than a month) how does it compare? Similar grind times? Quest fetching? I read a little about how randomly rifts will open up and people tend to band together to close them, so how often does this occur and what are your thoughts on this mechanic and the overall character classes system they have.

I should add that I think I have a tendency to just stick to myself when playing MMOs which is probably why I have a hard time getting into them. For this I would probably force myself to do something like Bard so I almost have no choice but to join groups of people. :)

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
It actually runs on a wide variety of hardware. It uses the Gamebryo engine, so if you can run Fallout 3, you can probably run Rift.

As far as the WoW comparisons: The games are similar in a lot of ways. The questing part of the game is similar enough, but I found that I love the zones a lot more in Rift. Also, Trion has incorporated a lot of things into the game at launch that took Blizzard years to get into WoW. Lots of things you needed mods for in WoW can be done in default Rift. Grind times, I don't know. I haven't reached the cap yet. I'm slow.

The planar invasions (Rifts) are a big part of the gameplay, and a good way to pick up bonus XP and loot. They're so easy to get into as well. Just join the public raid and follow the pack. They can be a nice distraction from the level grind.

What I really enjoy about Rift, aside from the graphical superiority it has, and the amazing artistic design, is the class system. Playing around with three different "souls" to build the character you want is too much fun. Want a Rogue that can tank, or a Mage that can support and heal? Totally doable. People are still figuring out what builds work well, and that's a big part of the game.

Other little things I love about Rift that WoW doesn't offer.. armor dyes and wardrobe. Being able to suit your character in gear you like the look of without having to sacrifice stats and functionality is a great feature to me.