What anime are you watching?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
or by the sounds of it, you could just watch revival of evangelion, since it's the series recap and the "proper" ending in one package.

not revival, but 'rebuild'.

and there's no release date in sight for the third movie, which is odd.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I don't know if I could do another revisitation of Evangelion.

That story, from a very early point, was clearly a very personal story told by Hideaki Anno at a very specific time in his life. There were themes and content in Evangelion that seemed to be emanating from the director's creative urges at that time.

Not that I'm the biggest Eva fan in the world, but I was very receptive to the show on the level that its creator was trying fervently to communicate his ideas to me. I felt a profound sense of artistic intensity in that series. The events themselves were interesting at the time, but I think I really felt like Anno was working through some complicated personal issues and on that level, I was watching with great interest.

To see them revisit it and alter what it was, at that time, just seems wrong for me. I don't doubt that it could be a good version of Eva, but I don't know that I could enjoy it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't know if I could do another revisitation of Evangelion.

That story, from a very early point, was clearly a very personal story told by Hideaki Anno at a very specific time in his life. There were themes and content in Evangelion that seemed to be emanating from the director's creative urges at that time.

Not that I'm the biggest Eva fan in the world, but I was very receptive to the show on the level that its creator was trying fervently to communicate his ideas to me. I felt a profound sense of artistic intensity in that series. The events themselves were interesting at the time, but I think I really felt like Anno was working through some complicated personal issues and on that level, I was watching with great interest.

To see them revisit it and alter what it was, at that time, just seems wrong for me. I don't doubt that it could be a good version of Eva, but I don't know that I could enjoy it.
Kind of like Tomino and his recent Z Gundam movie trilogy. Maybe Tomino is a happier, better-adjusted guy now, but he sucked the soul out of his story by reworking it.

I guess if I ever watch Evangelion, I'll just stick to the original series episodes and ignore everything else.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I saw Evangelion at the perfect time in my life (age 17)
I re-watched it again a few years later after some maturation and...didn't like it as much
Re-re-watched and from there fell in love all over

The first movie is so blah because there is literally such minor alteration from the story in the series that it feels redundant.

The second movie is fucking incredible. Shinji going down to the deepest part of his plug's depth to save Rei is just, fuck, man. The characters work extremely well. it's as if there's the tiniest variation, like some kind of butterfly effect, that changes everything and it works so well.

I'm the kind of person that HATED seeing Rei smile in posters, drawings, etc (anything that wasn't in the show itself) and all these stupid games for the sega saturn and blah blah,

so

Rebuild 2 works. it works.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Just noticed my Vampire Hunter D dvd is missing, I know it's out of print along with Bloodlust( never got the chance to see it either ) and Ninja Scroll( which I still have on vhs and the anniversary edition )

Have you watched the Ninja Scroll TV series? I enjoyed the original movie but have yet to watch the TV series. Hopefully it will be quality!:mr_t:

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
well i watched the whole series, and then end of eva afterwards.
the original ending, though i kinda get it, is really stupid cosidering what the rest of the series is about; and comple crap considering it's just still images, pencil drawings, and white text on a black screen. plus they don't really explain enough of the stuff that happened during the series.

end of eva is MUCH MUCH better overall, but worse in the way that the ending makes even LESS sense than the original. i dunno, i was pretty damn tired by time i got to the second half of "end", so i think i might have to rewatch it. or just google what the hell it means.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Which is a shame because the premise was sound but poorly executed.

I think the problems were that it was too much 'ninja enemy of the week' and not enough substance with the characters and storyline and that it was just too lightweight. It had none of the dark, violent, mature themes of the movie and it just felt like kids' stuff, overall. If it was a dark show, I don't remember feeling like it had any grit or provocative themes. It just seemed so bland from an action standpoint.

I also think Jubei, as a protagonist, could carry a show...if it were about him. But this was just him stumbling into someone else's story and helping them with their own problems. I really wanted them to expand on the character and learn more about him. Instead it was just him being aloof and sleeping all time. Jesus Christ on a crutch, couldn't they at least have TRIED to make him more than your average samurai anime cliche?

It's like they WANTED it to fail.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
How are the new Eva series? I remember borrowing my friend's VHS tapes of the series then watching all of them and seeing the movie at Otakon and being disappointed. I loved how you get to see Shinji pounding his meat to Asuka in the hospital but they cut the end off when it gets good. Seeing that really turned me off from watching any anime with crazy storylines.

Also, what's the point of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood? Is it just a retelling of the Manga or is it something else? I remember reading that they changed a lot of stuff from the anime to the manga, but I still enjoyed watching the series on Adult Swim and the movie was a lot of fun too.

I liked the first series of Hellsing when I used to watch it on the Encore Action channel, but didn't care for Ultimate. Is Ultimate the way the manga is? I didn't like how they made Seras the comic relief, she came off like Usagi in Sailor Moon where she would complain to Alucard and head would go in weird shapes. It felt really out of place after watching the first series.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Also, what's the point of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood? Is it just a retelling of the Manga or is it something else? I remember reading that they changed a lot of stuff from the anime to the manga, but I still enjoyed watching the series on Adult Swim and the movie was a lot of fun too.

I liked the first series of Hellsing when I used to watch it on the Encore Action channel, but didn't care for Ultimate. Is Ultimate the way the manga is? I didn't like how they made Seras the comic relief, she came off like Usagi in Sailor Moon where she would complain to Alucard and head would go in weird shapes. It felt really out of place after watching the first series.

both answers are the same: they just follow the manga more closely

the Hellsing manga is a bit goofy at times so Seras' anime behavior fits with that

Brotherhood of Blood is worth watching if you liked the original animated series

there's going to be a lot of differences but both animated series are similar enough where even though you might prefer one over the other you'll still derive enjoyment from both

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
not revival, but 'rebuild'.

they're 2 different things.
revival is "death and rebirth" and "end of evangelion" combined in the way they were supposed to originally be, apparently.
rebuild is basically a reboot of the series.

what i was talking about was lite said he'd have to re-watch the entire series again, but if he's already seen it, he could just watch revival, cause it's the the recap from "death", and the proper ending from "end".

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

'from the manga to the anime'

The manga ended last year. Brotherhood is just the faithful adaptation from the manga into anime format, where the original FMA was its own little thing.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Which is a shame because the premise was sound but poorly executed.

I think the problems were that it was too much 'ninja enemy of the week' and not enough substance with the characters and storyline and that it was just too lightweight. It had none of the dark, violent, mature themes of the movie and it just felt like kids' stuff, overall. If it was a dark show, I don't remember feeling like it had any grit or provocative themes. It just seemed so bland from an action standpoint.

I also think Jubei, as a protagonist, could carry a show...if it were about him. But this was just him stumbling into someone else's story and helping them with their own problems. I really wanted them to expand on the character and learn more about him. Instead it was just him being aloof and sleeping all time. Jesus Christ on a crutch, couldn't they at least have TRIED to make him more than your average samurai anime cliche?

It's like they WANTED it to fail.

Well Kawajiri and Madhouse are working on a proper sequel so we got that at least( I did like his Highlander )

Samurai 7 any good?

Yes

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I have to say things like that scared me away from watching some cartoons in the past. Why do mechas have to have so many parts, remakes, pre-quals, OVA's, same-universe-but-not-really-a-sequal shows networked together?
Despite what I'd like to think about MECHA-type creative universes, ultimately they are the most 'toyetic' creations that come-out of ANIME. Even the best of the best, like Macross and Gundam, have repeatedly had sequels and side-stories throughout the years and the likelihood of this being creator-induced less than corporation-accepted is low. Granted, every production needs some money to back it, but when MECHA shows generally have characters, small machines, large machines, alien races, and far-reaching universes, the chance of the creator-made universe being mined and/or expanded-upon for reasons of making "depth via OTAKU-serving information expansion" is greater than most other genre.

Last edited:

Lite

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Well I just finished up on Evangelion and this time around I watched The End of Evangelion with it. The End of Evangelion was pretty messed up, but on a positive note the TV series didn't end that bad this time around watching it.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Going through Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam TV series again. Still friggen awesome.

Also watching the Jojo's OVA's again. Fun but not as good as the Manga.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Just started Death Note last night.

Not bad.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Finished watching Gundam Seed. Thought it was excellent! Watching Claymore now before moving onto Gundam Seed Destiny.

Got to say Claymore is awesome so far - recommended!!

claymore-teresa-warrior-pose-wallpaper.jpg

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
Watching the full kensin series. Love it, but it would be better if it was shorter and didn't have filler eps.

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
The last two I watched are Paprika and Evangelion 2.0. They were both good.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Finished watching Gundam Seed. Thought it was excellent! Watching Claymore now before moving onto Gundam Seed Destiny.

Got to say Claymore is awesome so far - recommended!!

Gotta pop that into the DVD player. -_-