What anime are you watching?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
TWO MONTH BUMP

Anime is gay and all but Goblin Slayer is getting popular it seems, never heard of it before but have read it compares to Berserk. Anyone seen or read it?

Also, Yu Yu Hakusho is having some 25th anniversary OVA come out in like a week.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Goblin Slayer fascinates me, but not because it's 'comparable to Berserk'. I am saying this as charitably as possible, but if you think Goblin Slayer and Berserk are comparable, you need to take Michael Jordan's advice.

the comparisons, obviously, irk me.

I would classify Goblin Slayer as dark fantasy, but the similarities end at the shared genre. More accurately, Goblin Slayer is better described as dark fantasy tabletop role playing.

This does not make it a bad series at all. In fact, I consider its transgressive elements some of its strongest world building. The protagonist, Goblin Slayer himself, is a character who does what he does precisely because of the hostile world around him and the need for exterminators like him to stamp out evil monsters that are destroying civilization and ruining lives. Goblin Slayer works as a character because he has met the challenges of a nasty existence head on. it makes him unseemly, iconoclastic, terse and severe. Other people don't like him because he stinks of death.

There are some pretty poignant statements made about classism in the socioeconomic structure off such a world, and the ironies inherent in those hierarchies.

it's more accurate to describe the show as Dragon's Crown: the Anime if Vanillaware were to take the gloves off and go bare knuckled with its depictions of sex and violence and the lurid art direction. This series is thoroughly steeped in its clear tabletop fantasy RPG principles, much in the way that Dragon's Crown is. It's noticeable as an influencing factor in the narrative, almost on the nose, but the way in which they translate some of those concepts (forming parties, forming bonds with other adventurers, etc.) are compelling.

I also like that the tone is set in the first chapters that this story is going to have real teeth. It's not enough to portray a world with dire consequences for failure. Goblin Slayer is all but going to go out of its way to make you watch as characters pay the ghastly price for their mistakes. I really like this aspect of the series, and I rather think that the modern anime community, largely YA fiction fans in denial because they believe they are above that genre simply because they watch Japanese cartoons, are experiencing a sort of creative culture shock.

When Attack on Titan debuted as an anime series, people were losing their shit over the mortality rate in that story. I watched Zeta Gundam when I was in my 20s. This is nothing new to me. But when the medium gets overrun with waifu pablum where everything is stupid and nothing matters, I suppose peoples's worlds will be broken.

I blame their triggering on the long stretches of isekai shows and the slice of life genre. I like that the series feels dangerous. I've heard it described as 'needlessly edgy', but I dismiss that notion entirely and so should you.

I've read all three volumes of the manga that have been translated and have read a lot of the light novels. It's a really interesting series that tries to do something different from what fans of the anime and manga mediums might expect in 2018.

It's good. Great at times, even. But it is not Berserk. Nothing is Berserk except for Berserk.

Motherfuckers that say it's like Berserk need Jesus.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Just finished watching part 1 of Shingeki No Kyojin S3. Curious to see how the end plays out, as we still don't know the deal with Eren's key!

Also decided to watch Vampire Hunter D BR Rip last night - it had been damn near a decade since I've watched it

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Watching Geno Cyber right now.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Watching Gurren Lagann again.

Next is Batman Ninja and then s-CRY-ed.

Anyone watched Supernatural Anime?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Watching Gurren Lagann again.

Next is Batman Ninja and then s-CRY-ed.

Anyone watched Supernatural Anime?

man, i loved gurren lagann when it first came out. don't remember why i stopped watching it.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Discotek just rereleased Angel Cop so I’ve been watching that. It’s oldschool hyper violent stuff in the same vein as Ninja Scroll, Demon City Shinjuku, the Fist of the Northstar movie, Wicked City, M.D. Geist, etc etc

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I've been rewatching all the episodes of sgt. Frog with the girlfriend. God I love this dumb show. Luckily after showing it to the gf she does too. It's kinda like Beavis and butthead in anime mode.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Been rewatching Gunbuster. So. Awesome.

Also that Doom Patrol shirt is legit.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I remember to visit kidfenris.com like twice a year and read his post about AC last week, http://kidfenris.com/angel-cop-and-anti-semitism/

Yeah that is a huge bummer. Since all that was removed in the old dub that I saw forever ago, I was shocked to find that present in the original japanese. The ova’s from the late 80’s and early 90’s were completely off the rails in general. Even the violience in this one rivals Violence Jack.

Gunbuster rocks! I just rewatched Gunbuster a couple months ago. I still consider it one of Gainax’s all-time bests. The ps2 Gunbuster game is worth checking out if you haven’t had a chance to play it. It expands on a lot of the story and character interactions that went unexplored in the ova’s. Great stuff.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent

Thanks, that was about 100 pounds ago now so I can't really wear the shirt anymore without it looking like a mumu sadly, it was one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So I've been keeping up with Goblin Slayer because of the traditional dark fantasy elements and while I still like the series, it clearly suffers from the influences of the medium in 2018. Specifically, the inability of 'mainstream' anime to escape harem storytelling.

This series works when it is an adventure story focusing on a group of heroes who are drawn to the enigmatic charisma of the title character. His unwavering intention is very compelling to watch, and this is one of those very rare instances where the protagonist's monosyllabic responses and singular focus are handled extremely well. Mystery is a narrative mechanic that serves this character to maximum effect. Even though you know what he's going to say and where every conversation is going to go, his unbending will is a force to behold.

Where this series fails, however, is when it goes from being a conventional fantasy story to a conventional anime series. The light novels are, surprisingly, not very 'light' at all, and while I still think they're written for young adults, they are far more transgressive than the normal fare for that medium. The anime and, to a lesser extent, the manga play it a lot safer. I can forgive the tropes of dark fantasy when they're handled well because they're rooted in a sensibility of consequences. It's a lot more difficult to forgive harem tropes, which are all vapid and banal and only diminish the potency of this story's violence and its effects on society.

Even at its 'best' , I wouldn't call Goblin Slayer a 'modern classic.' I would describe it as a much needed breath of fresh air in a medium that has gotten extremely stale and underwhelming. But that breath is sometimes ragged, all too short and wallows a bit too much in the mud of modern anime drek. I feel like this story could achieve much more if it were unfettered from the weeb bullshit.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Speed Grapher (2005) -- Good, but not great, like so many Gonzo productions. The road movie structure is the best part along with some moody settings, the doctor's office in particular. Otherwise, one can clearly see budget and ideas leaving the series as it moved along.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.

I watched NGE before watching Gunbuster and I could notice similarities between both, heck even with Gurrenn Lagann at some points. These are probably the 3 best Gainax shows. For Gunbuster specifically, at least to me, it was surprising how lighthearted it started and how sombre it eventually got. Really good though. I think NGE was depressing almost from the beginning, even with the occasional fan service. All great shows though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
re: Goblin Slayer, the first chapter was basically a violent hentai except a hero appeared. I think the author is probably struggling with how to continue the series and create a compelling story arc.

The eponymous Goblin Slayer is a good character, though.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
So I have thoughts about your thoughts, 'sage.

RE: Goblin Slayer as a 'story'.

Goblin Slayer doesn't have a very compelling story because, I think, I don't believe the story is the point of this series. People that are celebrating 'the story' or even 'the characters' of Goblin Slayer are, in my opinion, the eager anime sheep that see familiar things so they are naturally inclined to like them. Are their waifus with big eyes, squeaky voices and easily recognizable archetypes? That and the echoes of trash tier emotionally validating character arcs are all they need to be on board. This is a community that spends an unhealthy amount of time analyzing OPs and EDs. I am locking up even typing such an insufferable notion.

I want to be clear here. I don't begrudge someone for enjoying these things. But ani-tube has, in my opinion, done this medium no favors by ramping up its disposability by a factor of 85208570279548378. It's all about the content mill, consuming and discussing just enough to get clicks and then moving on to the next thing. Mother's Basement, Anime America, Glass Reflections and so many others believe they can say things like 'Gundam 00 is the most accessible Gundam series' or even do 'top ten fantas anime' lists' and forget Record of Lodoss War, spawned from what many consider to be the first light novel worthy of adapting, was ever a thing. Light novels, in and of themselves, are not good sources to adapt from, more often than not. Not, at least, if you care about the medium of anime. The industry is challenged and this is where it is now, so I get it. But it's no wonder the visionaries have all left.

Anyway...

Goblin Slayer's strength is in its metatextual examination of a tabletop RPG fantasy game translated into a story. Lodoss War WAS a tabletop RPG that the author, Ryu Mizuno, turned into a novel series, but it would work just as well if the author had never heard of Dungeons & Dragons. Goblin Slayer, on the other hand, is ALL ABOUT Dungeons & Dragons. The main character 'won't let anyone roll the dice for him'. The characters don't even have names. They are challenged economically because they 'take jobs at an adventurer's guild', there are different 'levels' of adventurers and so forth. All of these elements have become tropes of not only this genre in anime and manga, but n the medium itself as a whole. But Goblin Slayer isn't, in my opinion, simply 'adhering to a formula'. The formula feels like an inevitable byproduct of the story's intentions to re-interpret tabletop RPG elements as plot mechanics, character relationships and consequence.

Gaming has influenced the medium to such an incredible degree that the writers today are sad parodies of the giants of yesterday (in general, there are some exceptions). In a sense, Goblin Slayer is trying to be a RPG in narrative form. Other stories of this type (today) are half baked stories that aren't capable of being more due to a variety of factors.

If this sort of thing isn't your cup of tea, Goblin Slayer isn't going to give you the jolt you're looking for. I, however, am a lifelong Dungeons & Dragons player and I see what Kumo Kagyu is doing. I'm good with that.

Also, it's not a hentai disguised as a fantasy anime. If it were, then the rape would have been more graphic, would have lasted longer on screen and the girl probably wouldn't have been saved. These lurid elements of the story aren't there for their own sake. They are world build elements of the story meant to imperil the characters (players) and remind them that their enemy is ruthless and depraved in their methods and biological needs.

RE: Goblin Slayer as a protagonist.

He is proof that 'Doom Guy' can work as a lead in something other than a video game. The trick here is not in what he is saying or even what he is doing. It's the effects that follow. How the goblins die at his hand. How the other characters react to him. Even how the story puts him in dominant positions in the frame and lingers on him to give him monolithic importance. He's not just a badass on the screen. His words are like the simplest of spears but with the sharpest points. That, in itself, is metatextual: Goblin Slayer doesn't waste time with fanciful things, better weapons or armor. He just strikes for the target every time, be it in battle or in social situations. And the way everyone reacts as a result is where the character's true potency lies.

Anyway, enough word vomiting.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Been on crunchyroll a bit, here's what I have been watching.

Goblin Slayer: was offput by the first episode but ended up enjoying it. Might have to wait it out and binge it later.

Jojos Golden Wind: this didn't grab me as much as the other seasons, but after the 3rd episode I got hooked. Weird having an arc around Dio's son.

Berserk: I keep rewatching this series, and while the animation is odd, I really like it. I hope they follow it with another season.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It's highly unlikely Berserk will get a third season. At least, not by that same studio.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
We're still watching Golden Kamuy (my wife loves this show/manga), and new for the season (although I suppose the fall season is almost done now), we've been watching and really liking Run With the Wind and Skullface Bookseller Honda-san.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Jojos Golden Wind: this didn't grab me as much as the other seasons, but after the 3rd episode I got hooked. Weird having an arc around Dio's son.

Well, technically he's both Dio AND Johnathan Joestars son, since he was conceived when Dio's body was a Joestar's. So Giorno has 2 dads and a mom

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Well, technically he's both Dio AND Johnathan Joestars son, since he was conceived when Dio's body was a Joestar's. So Giorno has 2 dads and a mom

That make Giorno like Jotaro's great grandfather or some shit

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
That make Giorno like Jotaro's great grandfather or some shit

Well, half-Great Grandfather, the canon is hilariously convoluted due to Araki by his own admission essentially just making shit up as he goes along, but it's not like the continuity even matters anymore since it reset after Stone Ocean anyways