What anime are you watching?

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I wish I knew some good anime to watch. I don't even know what's new or what's out or anything.

Lite

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I haven't really watched animes in awhile, but I recently picked up on a few and finished watching Bartender. It's good to see shows aimed at adults that don't revolve around highschool kids for a change.
Other animes I liked I can think of: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Baccano!, Planetes, Monster, Hellsing, Pet Shop of Horrors, Samurai X, Grave of Fireflies, and most of the Miyazaki films.
If a cartoon sounds interesting, I usually look it up on Wikipedia and download a few episodes to give it a chance.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Other animes I liked I can think of: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Baccano!, Planetes, Monster, Hellsing, Pet Shop of Horrors, Samurai X, Grave of Fireflies, and most of the Miyazaki films.
You've got some damn good ones listed in there.

At the prodding of several of my friends, I broke down and tried Ouran High School Host Club. It actually ended up being funny in the beginning since they were making fun of dumb harem anime tropes, but then it became every bit as inane and melodramatic as I had initially expected. I haven't finished it yet, but if I ever watch it again, I'll just stick to the first ten or twelve episodes.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Gurren Lagann is from the same guys and it have a lot of similarities I've heard. I haven't watched Evangelion, might give it a try. TTGL was really inspiring

If inspiring is what you're looking for, Eva is where to be. It comes off as cliche or cheesy to say this, but it definitely changed my life. I really got into philosophy and psychology after watching Eva, which in turn definitely gives me a clearer perception of people and reality / lack thereof. It was made when its creator was going through severe depression, so I think it really speaks to and meshes with people in a similar circumstance. Not being hardcore into anime, I rarely have the chance to interact with other Eva fans, so I don't have any experience with the supposed whiny "emo" [what a misused term] kids who love it. Maybe I'm being a hypocritical snob, but due to the hate these particular fans get, I can't help to wonder if they truly "get" Eva, or if it's just the inevitable backlash from success that makes other people rip on that group of outspoken fans.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I've seen the first episode of Gundam Unicorn, but that was a while back. there wasn't as much emo-whininess in that episode (yet) so I was wondering if anybody has seen the rest of it, and is it worth watching any further?

The rest of it likely hasn't been animated yet. It's an OVA released with about six month intervals.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
For those who love Eva should check out Gunbuster if you haven't already. Same director and a lot of stuff in Eva came from there

Eric

Fight On!,
I haven't really watched animes in awhile, but I recently picked up on a few and finished watching Bartender. It's good to see shows aimed at adults that don't revolve around highschool kids for a change.

Maybe give Gallery Fake a shot. (Will have to get the fansub like Bartender though, but at least they're all done)

Both series caught my eye because like you say, they didn't seem to be the typical anime series. Sadly that's probably exactly why neither series will get an English release

But I shouldn't complain too much about that because I'm also guilty of reading One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach. :emb: (Naruto is truly terrible now, and some would argue that it always has been.)

Also started watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood on Netflix to finally see what all the fuss was about.

Jacen

Rugal's Thug
I just finished watching Gunbuster a few days ago. Its considered a classic so I've always been meaning to see it.

It was pretty good, but I felt like they needed more episodes to flesh out the story line and characters.

I saw Gunbuster 2 about a year ago, and i think i enjoyed it more.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
i think naruto isn't as good as it used to be, but it's still ok. bleach is complete crap now though. never got into one piece, the style is too weird.

Eric

Fight On!,
I would be able to enjoy Naruto more if they just killed off Sasuke instead of constantly revamping him into the all powerful baddie (and a whiny bitch).

With Bleach it's nice that they finally got around to resolving the long, long storyline and seem to be going in a different direction after the time jump (even if it will probably end up being more of the same). For the longest time I would agree that it was stupid how each fight turned into the same thing

Villain: You're so weak you can't even cut me with your sword, especially now that I have (insert transformation name here)
Hero: Oh noes I can't cut you...
(50 chapters later)
Hero: I have found a new level of strength and I can now cut you. But I will also leave you alive and have someone heal you because I am such a great guy.

And with One Piece I just appreciate that there's no bullshit about training or even some kind of huge, grand story arc. They just show up on an island, beat up some people to save the day, maybe get a new crew member, and then head off to the next storyline. It's probably all a bit to simplistic but I appreciate it as a diversion.

Note that I'm only reading these series so my tolerance for looking at 20 pages per week instead of watching 20 minutes of show will be a lot higher, obviously.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
And with One Piece I just appreciate that there's no bullshit about training or even some kind of huge, grand story arc. They just show up on an island, beat up some people to save the day, maybe get a new crew member, and then head off to the next storyline. It's probably all a bit to simplistic but I appreciate it as a diversion.

That's why I love it, the desert arc seemed to go on forever but once it was over it was back to goodness

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
i'm fully expecting aizen (the most broken character out of aything, ever) to show up in a year and say "lolol everything so far is been my plan the entire time and nothing has actually happened cause of my bullshit sword-hypnosis power!".
at least with naruto i can see it actually ENDING at some point after the madara arc. hopefully after that he finally squares off with sasuke, and that's it.
i hope it doesn't keep going on with kabutomaru.

and you can say the same thing about the fights in naruto though, always end with the baddie totally jobbing after naruto uses "friendship no jutsu". even pain brought everyone back to life after he completely wiped out konoha. made destroying it completely pointless. lame.

and i quit watching naruto and bleach a looong time ago, when i found out that the manga doesn't have bullshit filler, and it's like 6 months ahead of the anime.
did watch the pain fight though, that was pretty dope.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
One Piece is all i keep up with these days

took me a while to get into it but i kept with it and became hooked before i knew it

definitely my favorite long-running anime series of all-time

just recently re-watched the early seasons of Naruto and Bleach; both of which are awesome

i still read the manga for both but am too far behind and simply don't care to keep up with the anime (Naruto is still alright but Bleach is terrible)

they just started the anime for Toriko which is probably my current favorite manga

people should check that one out

other than that? i pretty much watch FLCL at least once every few weeks

not just my favorite anime ever but one of my favorite things ever

also loved Phyeir's suggestion of Rin: Daughter of Mnemosyne

that series is fucking crazy

and speaking of fucking crazy there's Higurashi no Naku Koro ni which i'd suggest people watch if they want something stupidly violent and engaging

edit: the Gantz anime was a huge letdown

that's an anime where it doesn't even come close to having the same enjoyment level as the manga

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The South Korean film, Wonderful Days. I usually prefer handdrawn above all other styles. Have to give credit where it is due.

The hybrid of animation styles on display is amazing.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
One Piece is all i keep up with these days

took me a while to get into it but i kept with it and became hooked before i knew it

definitely my favorite long-running anime series of all-time
I hope you are not one of the guys Funimation is trying to sue for downloading episode 481.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I finished watching the original Armored Trooper Votoms TV series and then a few of the OVA's.

Now a break from that to watch Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam TV series.

I think next it will be either Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Macross TV series again.

:mr_t:

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Good stuff. I like how the anime series made Kakyoin's grand re-entrance towards the end so awesome (as opposed to the manga, where he just sorta showed up outside of Dio's mansion with the rest of the guys), but then again, I also missed the steamroller during the climactic fight.

1159358997945.gif

Oh, and the 1993 series is a lot more fun than the 2003 one that covers the earlier half of the arc.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Good stuff. I like how the anime series made Kakyoin's grand re-entrance towards the end so awesome (as opposed to the manga, where he just sorta showed up outside of Dio's mansion with the rest of the guys), but then again, I also missed the steamroller during the climactic fight.

1159358997945.gif

Oh, and the 1993 series is a lot more fun than the 2003 one that covers the earlier half of the arc.

Yeah if I could mix the Anime and the Manga it would be sweet.

I still need to see the movie version they made of the first Jojo's series and I would love an Anime series of Jojo's book 2! That one is my favorite.

:buttrock:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Memories.
Saw it way back in middle or early high school. didn't like it back then.
Love it now.
A three-story anthology movie, all of them are excellent. The first story, Magnetic Rose, was good horror; it bored me when I saw it a long time ago, but it had me on edge this time.
Great stuff.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I still need to see the movie version they made of the first Jojo's series and I would love an Anime series of Jojo's book 2!
I haven't seen it yet either! And an adaptation of Battle Tendency would be so great. I loved the characters and battles in that one. Lisa Lisa kicks ass~