What anime are you watching?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
So you really like the show but the main POV character and protagonist of the show causes you physical pain? I will never understand why people like this show so much when it's so clearly heavily flawed

pretty much. but the reason i like the show has little to do wit the human characters or at all. i like it because of the animation, atmosphere, the bad ass mechs and the amazing mech battles.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
that guy is an artist depiction of all things pathetic incarnated in to a human form. my balls actually hurt when ever he's on screen.

This was the main concept of NGE, which always goes unnoticed by myself, when I watch it. It's good to finally hear from people that really understood this series. It's true what they say, a true fan will always miss the whole point of his obscur objet du désir.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
People go through two stages in life, and the first is when they're 15 and think NGE is the greatest thing ever, and the second stage is when they're 25 and realize it kinda isn't.

My first watch-thru I never thought Shinji was unrealistically pathetic - dude was abandoned by his dad when he was young and then gets called on later to pilot some monster to fight alien beings that withstood nukes, I don't know how anyone else could respond to that. And jacking it over Asuka's body was alpha af.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Ballroom e Youkoso is amazing, My Hero Academia is still great, The Reflection has become really interesting (still surprised that this is Stan Lee's creation), and Mahoujin Guru Guru is a great comedy spoof of RPGs. Not much to look forward to for the fall season I'm afraid.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
another series that far outlived its welcome. i bet anno is going into depression again after the release of 3.0 + 1.0 .

Explains why it's taken so fucking long, hes probably crying in a bin somewhere.

misato is best girl.

Damn right.

People go through two stages in life, and the first is when they're 15 and think NGE is the greatest thing ever, and the second stage is when they're 25 and realize it kinda isn't.

My first watch-thru I never thought Shinji was unrealistically pathetic - dude was abandoned by his dad when he was young and then gets called on later to pilot some monster to fight alien beings that withstood nukes, I don't know how anyone else could respond to that. And jacking it over Asuka's body was alpha af.

Exactly.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Ballroom e Youkoso is amazing, My Hero Academia is still great, The Reflection has become really interesting (still surprised that this is Stan Lee's creation), and Mahoujin Guru Guru is a great comedy spoof of RPGs. Not much to look forward to for the fall season I'm afraid.

Blood Blockade Battlefront is getting a new season, its something at least

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Attn: Arcademan - Thought I'd put out this PSA for you that there is a new season of Cardcaptor Sakura called Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card. It seems to be a straight sequel/continuation of the series.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Anybody else checking out that Junji Ito anthology series? I downloaded the first episode but haven't checked it out yet, I'm pretty excited to dive in.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I've been watching Robotech again because it popped up on Netflix and reminded me that it had been over a decade since I've watched it. But I busted out my DVDs because the video quality was terrible.

My wife is watching it with me.

I am not going to call it 'good' as the bad voice acting and odd sound bed just further exposes what a budget show Macross truly was.

But I've also been going back and comparing the Macross episodes (I have the Animeigo box set that was crowdfunded before crowdfunding was a thing) to the Robotech episodes and it's like night and day. The Animeigo transfers are vastly better looking because they're from the original Japanese masters, whereas the Robotech DVDs are working off of a later generation transfer, as I recall.

Also, it's astonishing just how different the tone of the two series is. It's not just the English language or weird soundtrack ques in Robotech, which are often tone deaf. It's also in how Robotech fills intentionally quiet moments with narration or static dialogue. Macross has production value shortcomings but it has an earnest heart and is well intentioned.

One thing I am astonished about in Robotech is just how much mature/adult content is still in there. When Lisa and the bridge bunnies embarrass Rick after catching him in the lingerie shop with Minmei or when Claudia privately hopes for 'breakfast' with Roy Fokker. It's just bizarre to me that in 1985, young audiences were trusted to comprehend the material.

Also, every time I see Sammy I think 'hey, it's fakexsound!'

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Attn: Arcademan - Thought I'd put out this PSA for you that there is a new season of Cardcaptor Sakura called Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card. It seems to be a straight sequel/continuation of the series.
Been watching it and loving it. Glad all the original voices and animation are back and yes, it IS a continuation of the original series :)

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
They've finally gotten around to doing another season of Tokyo Ghoul, I'm really hoping for an improvement over the fucking abysmal second season that made some bafflingly stupid changes from the manga that made no real sense. I mean, I still enjoyed season 2 for what it was, it just didn't meet the high standard set by the first season. I guess we'll see when it starts airing in April, My Hero Academia is also getting another season in April, so that should be fun. There's a ton of other stuff that sounds like it has potential coming out in the next few months, you can check out a pretty comprehensive list of the upcoming Spring season of shows here: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
Personally I'll probably also be giving Devil's Line a look, just because we haven't gotten very many Vampire based Anime's in recent years

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I've been slowly watching Made in Abyss since Anime Strike went belly-up and all of its stuff starting streaming for free on Prime. Great show... it's Ghibli-esque in most respects, but has serious teeth with regards to children suffering consequences for their actions and risk-taking. Granted, Ghibli's stuff itself has that aspect, but not to this extent. The tone here is carefree up until things go wrong, then it quickly turns brutal.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I've been slowly watching Made in Abyss since Anime Strike went belly-up and all of its stuff starting streaming for free on Prime. Great show... it's Ghibli-esque in most respects, but has serious teeth with regards to children suffering consequences for their actions and risk-taking. Granted, Ghibli's stuff itself has that aspect, but not to this extent. The tone here is carefree up until things go wrong, then it quickly turns brutal.

Sounds interesting, will give this a go

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Took me a while to get in to the animation style of Made in Abyss but it's definitely worth watching.

The wife and I are currently making our way through Ancient Magus' Bride. Not blowing my socks off but I do enjoy the Celtic music and the world-building thus far.

Also watched Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon/Kobayashi's Maid Dragon. I fucking hate maid shit and largely don't care for harem shows but someone recommended it to me so I chugged through it. There's something oddly endearing about the show that isn't Lucoa's tits. It feels emotionally genuine and captures the mundane nature of everyday life in a way that most anime (or western cartoons) can't convey. It's sweet without being cloying and the characters grow to become a family unit and not just a collection of walking tropes vying for the affection of the main character. Plus Kobayashi (said main character) is one of the most true-to-life Japanese characters ever: she's a salary woman working a mundane IT job, she's a nasty drunk, she's emotionally/sexually dead inside, she seems repressed and disconnected from the rest of the world, and when all of the craziness gets moving, she takes it all in stride and finds happiness in being an adoptive mother and friend. She's also flat as a board so yeah.

Maybe I'm just reading too much in to all of it but for a show about dragons taking human form, maid-obsessed weirdos and occasional fan service, it had a surprising amount of heart and an undercurrent of melancholy I wasn't expecting.

-SD-

Camel Slug
There’s English subtitles too, and in all sorts of pretty colours...

Anyway, I have the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray set and I’m quite impressed with it. I’ve never backed anything on Kickstarter before but I really want this. Gunsmith Cats is one of my favourite anime and manga series.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
We hosted an anime night at my house recently and screened the first Urotsukidoji movie. Such a fun time. I was crying with laughter. Super chojin dick FTW :D

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
We hosted an anime night at my house recently and screened the first Urotsukidoji movie. Such a fun time. I was crying with laughter. Super chojin dick FTW :D

Toshio Maeda is actually supposed to be appearing at a convention I'm going to in April

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Why would you want to sit in a room of bonerdudes?