Pricing question on a NEOGEO CD.

starscream615

, m(o)(o)bs, they're awesome.
I found a top loading neo geo cd system today complete with box in decent shape today in a game store that I frequent. It's been there for a while but I never gave it much thought due to the store wanting way too much for it. Today I was happened to be there when the stores owner was there and he decided to wheel and deal with me. He offered it to me for $300 bucks which I didn't think was a good deal but then wants to throw in all the games he's got for it. There are about 15 games. The ones that I can remember are Real bout the newcomers, top hunter, some golf game, I think a volly ball game, samurai showdown 2, 3, 4, and rpg, pulstar, king of fighters 95 - 99, art of fighting. I think there are a few others. I was looking at prices and it seemed like the systems don't go for anywhere near that much but I just wondered if this seems like a sweet deal or not. It also has a region switch installed and two bean controllers with it. What you folks think?

PS, sorry if this should not be in unrelated but I just thought I would get a quicker response here.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
People shouldn't answer his question out of pure spite. I mean, c'mon..

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
You can always scavenge around for prices for everything and add it up, or do what I'd do and determine if its worth $300 to you.

starscream615

You can always scavenge around for prices for everything and add it up, or do what I'd do and determine if its worth $300 to you.

When I did a search for the neo cd in the snk sales forum that particular model only came up a few times and the prices varied considerably depending on the time frame. I saw one for $350 but it was from 2007, one for 90, and then a couple that had no price attached as they were just marked sold. The games seem even harder to track down as if you search for pulstar cd, you just get every pulstar ever listed on here most of which are mvs. That's the only reason why I'm asking. If I bought it it would just be to have. I would probably never play it other than showdown rpg. I apologize if I've offended anyone but I can assure you I didn't just post this without doing a little research first. I just really wanted to see if anyone thought this was even a good deal as I have no experience with the cd system what-so-ever, only mvs and a small amount of AES.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Think of it in terms of an opportunity cost:

How much food could you buy with $300 dollars?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Aren't you the dude that sent your wife into the ghetto to get your ass some Popeyes cause you were sick?

starscream615

Aren't you the dude that sent your wife into the ghetto to get your ass some Popeyes cause you were sick?

And??? I'm not eating that stuff anymore in an effort to be healthier. Currently doing the workout thing and eating better (and 20lbs lighter I might add).

I HOPE THEY BURY YOU WITH YOUR GAMES

Actually, I would hope my wife and/or children (who don't exist yet and may never) would sell them and have a nice chunk of change to do something cool with.

So, seems like most folks see it as not really a great opportunity so I will probably just pass it by once again (I don't think it's going anywhere) since no one seems to be thrilled with this offer. I'll just wait and see if an AES pops up again in my path. I really just wanted the cd for collection purposes but it seems no one really cares for it so I won't mind it not in my collection.

I did score a new in the box copy of virtua cop of the sega saturn with stunner from the same place today so I don't feel as though I missed much of an opportunity.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
And??? I'm not eating that stuff anymore in an effort to be healthier. Currently doing the workout thing and eating better (and 20lbs lighter I might add).

I was just being OT and genuinely curious if that was indeed you, because I forgot. That's one of the best stories I've ever heard on this site.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member

Actually, I would hope my wife and/or children (who don't exist yet and may never) would sell them and have a nice chunk of change to do something cool with.

So, seems like most folks see it as not really a great opportunity so I will probably just pass it by once again (I don't think it's going anywhere) since no one seems to be thrilled with this offer. I'll just wait and see if an AES pops up again in my path. I really just wanted the cd for collection purposes but it seems no one really cares for it so I won't mind it not in my collection.

I did score a new in the box copy of virtua cop of the sega saturn with stunner from the same place today so I don't feel as though I missed much of an opportunity.
Avoid AES go CMVS. The AES is such an awful money pit. If $300 is a head scratcher for 15 games and system you'll love spending $300 for half a game.

I bought an AES and one game and never got past it because I never had money (To be fair I've been in college so not exactly prime game collecting funds).

starscream615

I was just being OT and genuinely curious if that was indeed you, because I forgot. That's one of the best stories I've ever heard on this site.

Yea, I was super happy when the guy just flat out told our insurance lady that there was no claim and that he wasn't hurt. They (the insurance company) were pretty confident that he was lying or at least exaggerating because his story wasn't staying the same between statements. I now make sure we stay as far away from the ghetto as I can which is getting hard now that it basically is all of Jacksonville less some gated communities.

starscream615

Avoid AES go CMVS. The AES is such an awful money pit. If $300 is a head scratcher for 15 games and system you'll love spending $300 for half a game.

I bought an AES and one game and never got past it because I never had money (To be fair I've been in college so not exactly prime game collecting funds).

Well see, I already have a real MVS in my dinning room. It's a six slotter big red. I have most of the games I would want for it (Last Blade, NitD, puzzle bobble, Sam showdowns, king of fighters, ETC). In fact, other than pulstar and sam showdown rpg, I'm pretty sure that all the other games would just be copies of MVS carts I already own so that's why I didn't just jump at any offer. I have gotten away from my quick collecting like I used to do. Now I really think about stuff before I buy unless it's just stupid cheap. It also helps that most things that I've wanted for such a long time I already have. There are some rare and really hard to find things that I would really, really want but won't waste money on. Now, I really only buy great deals or things that I will never see again.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
$300 is a good deal for all of that.

KoF 99 is the major offender for load times there. If it's not a fighting game, most of the load times are very tolerable. And if it's an older Fighting game the loading times are fine.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Go in the store with $250 cash, put it on the table and tell him you'll buy it NOW for that much -- or not at all.

Seriously, I doubt anybody else in your area would even think about buying a NGCD. So it's not like he's got 20 other guys beating down his door to buy it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That deal is terrible...

Buy my CMVS with Unibios for $275 instead...it comes with a NEO joystick and even a PS controller to Neo converter...

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Back on topic, since it's in the right place.... Man, Neo Geo CD games are pretty much glorified soundtracks now. You won't be playing them. It's pointless to even have the machine. Collect the games, listen to the soundtracks, don't worry about the console, and get a home system or a consolized thingy if you want to play.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
I don't think it's worth $300. If you are patient you can get Neo CD for practically nothing. There's no market left in CD stuff, it all just rots on ebay and eventually someone will just dump a big lot of games for next to nothing. I have 30 Neo CDs and I think my average price was about $10 per game, and that includes the few CD games that I bought that do have some demand like Pulstar and Metal Slug. Take those out and I'm more like $6 per game.

As a side note, I have RB2 on CD and I'm amazed at how quickly it loads. SNK really figured something out with that game.

starscream615

Go in the store with $250 cash, put it on the table and tell him you'll buy it NOW for that much -- or not at all.

Seriously, I doubt anybody else in your area would even think about buying a NGCD. So it's not like he's got 20 other guys beating down his door to buy it.

That's what I was thinking of doing. He kept saying he might put it might put it on ebay. I'm just trying to justify the purchase I guess.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
That deal is terrible...

Buy my CMVS with Unibios for $275 instead...it comes with a NEO joystick and even a PS controller to Neo converter...

If I had that money right now I so would.

Off topic, but is there any work on making USB ports for CMVS? I'd love too hook up my PS3 to it, since it works on my computer with no thought added