Identifying bootleg games based on cases only

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Lets make this thread so people have a reduced chance of scoring boots when they can't see inside the case. There are some dead ringers with yellow carts and labels that are clearly not matching originating style.

So lets make a list of carts with common things.
Sometimes its a pain in the butt and you see a good buy on ebay, but can't buy it because you're not sure.

This thread is not 100% fool proof. Meaning, there is that circumstance you can be duped into buying something thats not legit anyways.
Also, if I find this thread does more damage then good, I'll make a request for it to be removed. I hate misconceptions, and don't wanna see anyone get screwed. The responsibility to gamble on ebay is yours.

So lets get some pictures of cart cases unopened, their bootleg cousins and how they faked things. A good example is KOF 2002. Their exist bootleg variations with differing text then the originals.

If you are lucky enough to own a legit and bootleg version of these games, post it up. The master list is what I use. I click the master list link, click the mvs and check the label for comparison before taking any risks.

Lets get this going =)

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Excellent idea for a thread.

I don't have a lot of experience here so I'll contribute what little that I know on the subject.

METAL SLUG 4 case should always be black. It also has a texture to it which is hard to see in a photo.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
The last few releases of English MVS carts: Samurai Shodown V, Metal Slug 5, King of Fighters 2003 and SNK Vs Capcom all have light blue labels with blue writing. All have black cases. None of these games were released with transparent cases so watch out for them as they could be boots!