161-in-1 Game Breakdown

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Yeah i heard also to use really light grit sand paper and go up and down in the slots . blow it out with compressed air then do the alcohol cleaning.
Definately try the games in the cab and going past the demo screen.... and let me know what you find.

I don't know how one would go about using sandpaper in their cart slot, and even if I did, I wouldn't try it.

Will try to get down on some SDB tonight....just depends on if I get wrapped up in working on my VO twin sticks again. I'm building a pair for xbawks.

Last edited:

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
For the voltage thing, you don't just "turn up the voltage", of course. You need to test with a multimeter at the jamma edge, while the game is running, and make sure you're getting 5v. I believe the acceptable range stated in the manual is anywhere from 4.5v to 5.5v, no higher, but don't quote me on that. Some titles may draw more power than others?

Here is a noob question, So how would i check the voltage while the game is running with the mulitmeter?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Here is a noob question, So how would i check the voltage while the game is running with the mulitmeter?

You touch the contacts on the board, that extend past the jamma harness, with your leads. The metal strips that look like the cart contacts that the jamma harness plugs onto.

MV-1frontSm.jpg

(down at the bottom/middle & toward the right)

You will need to look up the jamma pinout to know which is voltage and which is ground or whatever. I think the 4th one from the right is your voltage, and like the 6th or 7th one is ground......not sure.

It's ok, a month or so ago I didn't know how to do it either.

Last edited:

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
You touch the contacts on the board, that extend past the jamma harness, with your leads. The metal strips that look like the cart contacts that the jamma harness plugs onto.

MV-1frontSm.jpg

(down at the bottom/middle & toward the right)

You will need to look up the jamma pinout to know which is voltage and which is ground or whatever. I think the 4th one from the right is your voltage, and like the 6th or 7th one is ground......not sure.

It's ok, a month or so ago I didn't know how to do it either.

Thanks man

In the manual it just says that it needs +5, can it not go any higher than that? Or am i reading that wrong lol

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Thanks man

In the manual it just says that it needs +5, can it not go any higher than that? Or am i reading that wrong lol

I believe it can be a hair above 5. I can't remember if it was 5.5 or 5._0_5 that was considered within tolerances. I heard 5.1 recommended at least once.

Also, read/watch this:
http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2009/07/22/checking-and-replacing-a-power-supply/

It may be useless, but it's there.

Edit: Also, you know power supplies are capable of putting out +5 and -5 right? They're like 2 different wires. I still don't fully understand it, but I wanted to make sure you weren't reading it as "Yeah, uh, 5 volts PLUS some other volts". LOL ;)

Don't want you cranking the knob and burning out your board.

Last edited:

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
I believe it can be a hair above 5. I can't remember if it was 5.5 or 5._0_5 that was considered within tolerances. I heard 5.1 recommended at least once.

Also, read/watch this:
http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2009/07/22/checking-and-replacing-a-power-supply/

It may be useless, but it's there.

Edit: Also, you know power supplies are capable of putting out +5 and -5 right? They're like 2 different wires. I still don't fully understand it, but I wanted to make sure you weren't reading it as "Yeah, uh, 5 volts PLUS some other volts". LOL ;)

Don't want you cranking the knob and burning out your board.

Yeah man i hear ya lol yeah i definately have it plugged into the +5.
I cleaned all the contacts , cleaned the jamma harness contacts and everything and cleaned the cart. And it still reset on MS3 and SVC, well i got impatient
i have't had a chance to pick up my multimeter from the office. So i turned the voltage knob a "tad" and i mean a "tad" clockwise, and presto it worked. I played 1 full level of MS3 and and SVC worked perfect. I turned it off and on again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it still worked. So I just unplugged it and am now heading back to work and this evening i will bring my meter home to test it. So on the board , with the jamma harness plugged in, i am touching my leads to the contact strips or the little dots right directly below the jamma contact strips?

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
I use "weiman brass polish" and a microfiber cloth to clean contacts on carts, for the mobo pins I use a broken cleaning kit for NES, I tried to look for the thick felt that comes with those carts with no luck but if you can find one they work awesome!

I am just speculating but after seeing some bootlegs that come from the country of origin of the banana carts, seeing that they leave contacts shorted and soldering paste and flux still on the boards that needs to be cleaned, I guess you can have similar problems with banana carts, I assumed that because of the problem when trying to play fat megs games!

I don't know anything about the banana cart but I guess that it haves a bank ram to store the cart data and then load from there and probably the connection to that ram on bigger games is shorted or with a cold joint so you experience the reset on big games, try playing fat games like KOF99 and up or anything above 500 meg then start going down on megs so you can narrow down what is the problem! because all the games that worked for you are bellow the 100 meg count, this is just a guess but anything is worth a try for me!

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Mine has a digital display and is always set to 5.1

Your surround receiver?

Yeah man i hear ya lol yeah i definately have it plugged into the +5.
I cleaned all the contacts , cleaned the jamma harness contacts and everything and cleaned the cart. And it still reset on MS3 and SVC, well i got impatient
i have't had a chance to pick up my multimeter from the office. So i turned the voltage knob a "tad" and i mean a "tad" clockwise, and presto it worked. I played 1 full level of MS3 and and SVC worked perfect. I turned it off and on again to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it still worked. So I just unplugged it and am now heading back to work and this evening i will bring my meter home to test it. So on the board , with the jamma harness plugged in, i am touching my leads to the contact strips or the little dots right directly below the jamma contact strips?

You're a wild man what lives on teh edge.

The strips are what I did. Lemme know what voltage you get. Mine may still need adjustomundo. I'm using a cheap radio shack multimeter, so Darwin may sort me out.

I use "weiman brass polish" and a microfiber cloth to clean contacts on carts, for the mobo pins I use a broken cleaning kit for NES, I tried to look for the thick felt that comes with those carts with no luck but if you can find one they work awesome!

I am just speculating but after seeing some bootlegs that come from the country of origin of the banana carts, seeing that they leave contacts shorted and soldering paste and flux still on the boards that needs to be cleaned, I guess you can have similar problems with banana carts, I assumed that because of the problem when trying to play fat megs games!

I don't know anything about the banana cart but I guess that it haves a bank ram to store the cart data and then load from there and probably the connection to that ram on bigger games is shorted or with a cold joint so you experience the reset on big games, try playing fat games like KOF99 and up or anything above 500 meg then start going down on megs so you can narrow down what is the problem! because all the games that worked for you are bellow the 100 meg count, this is just a guess but anything is worth a try for me!

I have one of those cleaning kits made by Nuby or somebody. It's like a universal one. On carts I use a pink eraser. As for the bank ram I believe you're right, but the multicarts I saw on the MVS scans site looked fine IIRC

DavidG

On the 150-in-1 I've been able to confirm the SS2 music issue as being a cart issue not the system. Must be a bad rip of the roms. I have the same issue showing up on 6 different MVS boards and on all AES systems.

Ckd N Lkd

Smoking Gun!,
On the 150-in-1 I've been able to confirm the SS2 music issue as being a cart issue not the system. Must be a bad rip of the roms. I have the same issue showing up on 6 different MVS boards and on all AES systems.

On the 161 in 1 I have no issues whatsoever - guess I'm lucky

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug

Man! maybe you are, I am going to give mine a full testing this evening. I could have sworn i read though that the MV-1 works with the 161-1 with no issues. Thats a nice freaking PSU where did you get that and what type is it?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member

Thanks for confirming my sanity. I knew knew KNEW there was something up with SS2 on the 161. After all, I've been playing it religiously for years, so I know what it's supposed to sound like by now. I tested it on the home cart system with my converter as well.

Glad you popped up. That reminds me I haz to reply to your very interesting PM. I was just busy when I got it and didn't have time to give it the attention it deserved.

Or maybe you just don't notice? :p

That power supply amuses me. Still, that display would read differently than the edge, due to it being under load, right?

Last edited:

Ckd N Lkd

Smoking Gun!,
Man! maybe you are, I am going to give mine a full testing this evening. I could have sworn i read though that the MV-1 works with the 161-1 with no issues. Thats a nice freaking PSU where did you get that and what type is it?

d1a223f2-0232-0935.jpg

I have measured it at the edge connector and it's always matched the reading on the power supply also.. I have tested all the games and considering I have had a full mvs collection a few times I think I would notice? Maybe your right, but I'm happy no issues here :-)

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
I have a 161-in-1 and no problems here. Using a MV1-FZS board with mini supergun powered by ATX PSU

Problem be due to dirty power input +/- few milliwatts

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
OK guys just tested with multi meter, LOL , earlier when i thought i was turning the voltage up, I was actually turning it down. At the board it tested at 4.78 and at the PSU 4.81, and the 11.95 on the 12 volt lines. And so i tested it where it was at originally and it it was at like 5.25 so WAYYY to high. I am guessing that it didn't like it too much and it wouldn't work. So its working like a champ at 4.78 volts.

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
4.78 is too low. You should set it for 5.0 to 5.1.

5.25 is way too high (as you pointed out).

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
4.78 is too low. You should set it for 5.0 to 5.1.

5.25 is way too high (as you pointed out).

Ok I just set it to 5.0 exactly, but the 12 volt reads 12.33, everything to be working good. What exactly is the 12 volt feeding too?

Antinull

n00b
I ordered my 161 in one from aliexpress
still waiting on shipping
I have a 6 slot euro system i got recently

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
The marquee light was noisy and i unhooked it anyway lol

I don't have bulbs in mine either. I could see where the SS4 marquee that was in there originally was warped and scorched over the bulb area, and I don't want that happening with my original 1 slot marquee.

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
Well guys the weirdest thing happened, with it running at 5.0 or 5.1 at the board , SVC, MS3, KOF99, Kizuna Encounter will keep resetting and crashing. I dropped it back down to 4.8 volts and they all worked again along with every other one i tried, and I went through about 30 games last night through at least the first levels or first fight. And for some weird reason 4.8 seems to be the magic number.......any ideas or comments why lol

On my 161-in-1 cart, I can't get past the first few seconds of a level in Pulstar without the game freezing up. Can anyone else confirm this issue?