161-in-1 Game Breakdown

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
How do Pulstar, and Blazing Star run on this thing? Any issues at all?

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
@greedostick ill let you know later tonight. Ive never played the originals tho......

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,

I haven't noticed any issues, but haven't played both all the way though. Where there are issues on any of the games in the 161 it's with moderate sound glitching, which can be fixed with an easy soldering job -- guides are out there.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
@Greedostick Well Blazing star plays alright the sound does seem off but beyond that its fine. Pulstar on the other hand had slowdown and the game crashed on the first boss. I didn't play much of Pulstar beyond that though. Again I repeat I haven't played these games prior, so take my review with a giant grain of salt.
@Tenfresh I will look into the sound fix. Have you tried it yourself?

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
@Greedostick Well Blazing star plays alright the sound does seem off but beyond that its fine. Pulstar on the other hand had slowdown and the game crashed on the first boss. I didn't play much of Pulstar beyond that though. Again I repeat I haven't played these games prior, so take my review with a giant grain of salt.
@Tenfresh I will look into the sound fix. Have you tried it yourself?

Haven't got around to doing it yet, but the original thread is here:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ticarts-120-in-1-138-in-1-161-in-1-and-others

Does say that Pulstar is one of the games it fixes!

Digmac

Leona's Therapist

I have an OG Blazing Star, and the 161 in 1, and I can say I'm impressed with how Blazing Star runs on the 161. Not really any noticeable differences to report and all gameplay and sound seems fine from my eyes/ears. I don't have an original Pulstar, but I haven't gotten any crashes on it. I think quality control can vary from cart to cart.

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
I have an OG Blazing Star, and the 161 in 1, and I can say I'm impressed with how Blazing Star runs on the 161. Not really any noticeable differences to report and all gameplay and sound seems fine from my eyes/ears. I don't have an original Pulstar, but I haven't gotten any crashes on it. I think quality control can vary from cart to cart.

Graphically I think it's on par with the original, but yeah there is a bit of odd musical changes that make it feel a bit off , but it doesn't take you completely out of the experience.

I've had an issue with a few of the KOF games and any of the SVC Chaos games where it will just randomly reset itself back to the title screen, which I wonder is because of my settings?

I'm set up with an older Jamma cab (Side Arms '86) and a 1 slot MVS board. All the other legit MVS carts I have never gave me any trouble, but I'm having this one minor issue with the 161 in 1. Otherwise, most other games work great!

Also, the Blue's Journey trick described in this thread works too! Thanks guys!!

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I don't know why it didn't dawn on me before, but this doesn't limit itself to the regular run of the mill hacks that already exist and are being sold on individual bootleg carts. A bunch of these are from somewhat recently done fan-made hacks done by individuals like the KoF '96 with restored deleted moves and AoF2 & FHD with playable bosses. Maybe whatever multi-cart comes out next will include the KoF '98 Anniversary Edition hack that restores the boss team and other characters found in 98UM.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I wouldn't hold my breath for another multicart. For a while, it seemed like they kept on coming out with bigger and bigger multicarts, but that stopped after the 161 came out. This thread is almost 5 years old.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I just compiled lists of games that are exclusive to either the 161 in 1 or the 138 in 1 (relative to each other)

161 Only
2020 Super Baseball
Battle Flip Shot
Crossed Swords
Fatal Fury
Football Frenzy
King of Fighters 2003
King of the Monsters
Kizuna Encounter
Legend of Success Joe
Master of Shougi
Metal Slug X
Pleasure Goal
Pulstar
Puzzle de Pon! R!
Samurai Shodown
Savage Reign
Soccer Brawl
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner 2
World Heroes

138 Only
Art of Fighting 3
Aero Fighters 3
Cyber-Lip
Ghost Pilots
Ghostlop
Goal!Goal!Goal!
League Bowling
Metal Slug 5
Nam 1975
Ninja Combat
Ninja Masters
Pop’n Bounce
Power Spikes II
Puzzled Joy Joy Kid
Sengoku 2
Shock Troopers
Super Sidekicks
Tecmo World 96
Twinkle Star Sprites
Waku Waku 7
World Heroes Jet
World Heroes Perfect

Other interesting stuff
The 161 actually has Aero Fighters 3, but it's so broken that I listed it as a 138 exclusive.

Samurai Shodown on the 161 has a very glitchy sprite for Kyoshiro. All other characters are fine.

Garou Mark of the Wolves is a proto version on both carts. However, the 161 has an older proto which crashes when you use Kim Jae Hoon's TOP move. Both versions don't play the full character endings in MVS mode. In AES mode, they play the full endings, but some of the text is messed up - more on the 161 than the 138. In the 161, Hokutomaru's mini portrait has a yellow scarf instead of red. In MVS mode on both the 161 and 138, the title screen has a grey background. The official version has a blue background.

Samurai Shodown V Special seems to be the MVS version on the 161 and the AES unfixed version on the 138. You need the Unibios to uncensor 138 version.

The games in the 161 cart have had their code modified to return to the menu when the start button is held, so they all fail Unibios CRC checks. Since the 138 in 1 uses a daughterboard to handle the menu system, the game code is unaltered and games generally pass the Unibios CRC checks.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I've recently played a bit of Aero Fighters 3 and saw the bullets weren't disappearing. Then I bombed and died, and the bullet glitch stopped for the rest of the level and the next level. I'm going to play it more thoroughly soon and see if there's a "fix" for it, but has anyone else seen that the bullet glitch stopped? What else do I need to note down besides my Unibios settings, characters and actions in game?

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
I wouldn't hold my breath for another multicart. For a while, it seemed like they kept on coming out with bigger and bigger multicarts, but that stopped after the 161 came out. This thread is almost 5 years old.

Totally — my impression is that, at the end of the day, the intended market for the mulitcarts was venders/arcades around the world, not home mvs collectors and the like. So fewer and fewer cabs in the wild and that market dried up we'll not see another out of China.

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,

Totally, my impression is that, at the end of the day, the intended market for the mulitcarts was venders/arcades around the world, not home mvs collectors and the like. So with fewer and fewer cabs in the wild and that market dried up we'll not see another out of China.

tenfresh

Mega Shock!!,
I just compiled lists of games that are exclusive to either the 161 in 1 or the 138 in 1
Garou Mark of the Wolves is a proto version on both carts. However, the 161 has an older proto which crashes when you use Kim Jae Hoon's TOP move.

Funny that I *just* hit that exact crash a few days ago by accident — now I know what happened!

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Isn't Aero Fighters 3 on the 120-in-1 as well?

I should have clarified that this was only a comparison between the 138 and 161 carts, ignoring previous multicarts.

The 120 in 1 seems to be similar to the 138 in 1. I think it has a working Aero Fighters 3 and a non crashing Mark of the Wolves proto. I've never actually used it myself though.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I just compiled lists of games that are exclusive to either the 161 in 1 or the 138 in 1 (relative to each other)

Good information there. Also, nice to see another person from Las Vegas here.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
hi

i would like to buy a card for my consolized mvs. Which is the best choice in your opinion? I only have Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special now. It isn't available a card with all the games, am I right?

thanks!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
hi

i would like to buy a card for my consolized mvs. Which is the best choice in your opinion? I only have Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and Fatal Fury Special now. It isn't available a card with all the games, am I right?

thanks!

i would say 138 or 120 cart. I have the 161 cart, it came with my cab so i cant complain. Thinking about getting the 138 and doing the dipswitch mod since i have a 2 slot

138 cart
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...set-Game-Board-Game-PCB/707142_545849579.html

120 cart
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ard-Game-PCB-for-Arcade/202692_375859464.html

161 cart - great shop in the US that give you reward points towards discounts on next purchase this will give you atleast $5 if not $10 off your next purchase. I buy from them alot lol
https://www.focusattack.com/161-in-...cusattack.com/161-in-1-neo-geo-mvs-cartridge/

edit, saw your in italy, so the focusattack store isnt as beneficial for you.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I wonder why non of these Multi Carts include the Real Bout series in them. Also, is Alieexpress a pretty good seller?

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
ive never ordered from them, but alot of ppl i know have and besides taking abit of time to get to you, no issues.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I wonder why non of these Multi Carts include the Real Bout series in them. Also, is Alieexpress a pretty good seller?

Keep in mind that Aliexpress is a marketplace, not a store, so individual sellers vary. I've ordered several things from the site and everything has come through just as expected. Sometimes it takes forever coming from the slow boat from china, but I've always received what I ordered, and most sellers have a FedEx/DHL option if you want to pay for it and want an item sooner.

The biggest risk is getting a bootleg of something, which is kinda hilarious considering most of us use it to buy bootlegs. Like the Pandora 3, the "real" P3 runs pretty well but a lot of sellers sell a fake one that is shit, so you have to take care to get the thing you actually want. In the realm of Neo multicarts that's not really a problem.

Last edited: