161-in-1 Game Breakdown

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
OK, i have a 161 in 1 cart. The problem i'm having is i keep getting error messages like illegal instruction or address error. It happens on most games. I typically make it happen on Metal Slug 2 within a minute. Though my son and i played king of monsters for an hour and didn't have a problem. I have 2 MV-1 boards but i only have 1 cab to test them in (i want to consolize one of them eventually). I have unibios 3.1 in both of them, though i had the same basic problem when i had the stock bios in. The stock bios would just reset the cart, but the unibios shows me the error message. When i had MS2 up i tested the voltage and my power supply is giving off over 5v. I guess i'm just wanting to know if my problem is the cart, my power supply, or my boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Links to pictures of errors:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/quhlwlbhp3raj4d/AADfB7IvMUK1aKnew-cl6NCpa
What power supply are you using, and how much over 5V is it giving? Have you tried different power supplies?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
OK, i have a 161 in 1 cart. The problem i'm having is i keep getting error messages like illegal instruction or address error. It happens on most games. I typically make it happen on Metal Slug 2 within a minute. Though my son and i played king of monsters for an hour and didn't have a problem. I have 2 MV-1 boards but i only have 1 cab to test them in (i want to consolize one of them eventually). I have unibios 3.1 in both of them, though i had the same basic problem when i had the stock bios in. The stock bios would just reset the cart, but the unibios shows me the error message. When i had MS2 up i tested the voltage and my power supply is giving off over 5v. I guess i'm just wanting to know if my problem is the cart, my power supply, or my boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Links to pictures of errors:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/quhlwlbhp3raj4d/AADfB7IvMUK1aKnew-cl6NCpa

This happens in my MV-1 CMVS (UniBios 2.0) on my 120-in-1 cart. Strikers 1945 barely works, and a lot of the other games are hit or miss. The problem seems to only become more apparent (if it happens at all) when i put it into "console" mode - In "arcade" the problem disappears in all but a few of the games. The games that i actually have the carts for that are also on the multicart give me no problems whatsoever.

Funny thing is, i tried a 160-in-1 in that same CMVS and I had no problems with strikers in "console" mode. Maybe these are just truly built like shit?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Don't confuse the 120-in-1 and 161-in-1, they're different. The 161s seem to be well built from what I've seen. I had occassional error messages when I was using a bad power supply, but since moving on to this model I've had zero errors. I did add do the caps mod and added a voltage regulator to my 161 though.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Don't confuse the 120-in-1 and 161-in-1, they're different. The 161s seem to be well built from what I've seen. I had occassional error messages when I was using a bad power supply, but since moving on to this model I've had zero errors. I did add do the caps mod and added a voltage regulator to my 161 though.

sry, i was referring to the 120-in-1. like i said, i didnt have a problem with the 161

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The issue with the 120 in 1 is its missing tonnes of 100nF bypass caps, needs 2 x 47pF caps to fix sound glitches and ideally you should swap out the diodes for a voltage regulator. I've done videos on this recently. The lack of those caps, coupled with a poor PSU or bad caps on your MVS will result in random crashes, sound glitches etc.

As SmokeMonsters says - the 161 in 1 tends to be better, but even that can suffer sound glitches, albeit a lot less than any of the other multicarts, but you can also improve that by adding 2 x 47pF caps, and you can (and probably should if you want it to last, swap out the 2 diodes on the prog board with a 3.3v regulator.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Can anybody confirm if the pcb can fit into the original snk mvs case? I don't like the yellow case at all.

keilmillerjr

New Challenger
Hello. I picked up an mvs-2-25 last weekend. Ordered the 161 in 1 cart from who I thought was a reputable seller. Holland Computers had it shipped to my home in 2 days free shipping!

The cart arrived. I inspected the PCB and it appears that the slot connector area is the same width as my puzzle bobble cart, and not slightly larger like some others experienced. I noticed a sticker on the cart saying 6/8/2015, so maybe newer carts have been revised?

Inserted the cart next to my puzzle bobble and it worked. I noticed that some games the sound fx would studder but background music played fluently. I removed the puzzle bobble cart and the 161 started playing perfect. I have no issues with strikers or aero fighters like some others had experienced.

Happy customer of this cart. If I could turn off all the hacks I'd be 100℅ satisfied.IMG_20150620_051037.jpgIMG_20150620_050617.jpg

MsG

n00b
I'm wondering, do you need some adapter to connect the Pandora 3 box or other of those bootleg boxes to a MVS neo-geo cab? Because for regular JAMMA PCB you must. I'm doubting between a bootleg multi in 1 MVS cart for my Neo-geo motherboard, or a separate bootleg box.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Yes it's the standard mvs pcb size. I moved mine to a frosted clear case and printed a better label that I found through Google images.

The problem I've had with mine is that the boards are slightly thicker then legit carts. This makes for needing to muscle it out more than real carts. I get nervous every time I yank it out of my Omega. Luckily my legit collection is slowly growing so I don't use it quite as often as I have in the past.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The problem I've had with mine is that the boards are slightly thicker then legit carts. This makes for needing to muscle it out more than real carts. I get nervous every time I yank it out of my Omega. Luckily my legit collection is slowly growing so I don't use it quite as often as I have in the past.

My 161 had the same issue, but I solved it by shaving a bit of each side of the PCBs. Use an original SNK PCB to get the correct width and cut it with an exacto knife.

Regards.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I just used some 100 grit sandpaper to shave the edges down. Now it feels just like a legit cart.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it! I think I'll give it a go once I have some free time.

djscompton

n00b
Huh. Maybe you actually have a defective cart? I put a lot of hours on mine, including playing Metal Slug 1 & 2 and I'm using an MVS-2 board with the original BIOS. Are you sure you get the same error mesage with stock bios? Because the error messages in your pictures all mention the unibios webpage.

With the normal bios, i do not get a message that pops up. Instead it resets the game. It doesn't take me back to the main menu of the cart, but the beginning of that game. I'm afraid it's a bad cart.

As for power supplies, i'm getting 5v with load, and i did try to over power and under power slightly to see if it made a difference, and it didn't. I have not yet tried a different power supply.

ptbnl

n00b
I got mine from Suzo Happ, but if you're running a CMVS or AES, I can't provide any advice on that. I'm only familiar with what's needed for a big red cab.

It wouldn't hurt to get an upgrade for your UniBIOS as well. 3.2 is out and has a lot of bug fixes and features that aren't in 2.3.

Could you tell me please which power supply did you buy from Suzo Happ? Thank you.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Could you tell me please which power supply did you buy from Suzo Happ? Thank you.

I have a power supply from MeanWell, an RT125A. I use it with a supergun, very nice PS. Only problem is that it requires a minimum load to work, so boards that use low power (like NeoGeo MV1C) do not power on with this PS.

Regards.

Coleridge

Pleasure Goal
The issue with the 120 in 1 is its missing tonnes of 100nF bypass caps, needs 2 x 47pF caps to fix sound glitches and ideally you should swap out the diodes for a voltage regulator. I've done videos on this recently. The lack of those caps, coupled with a poor PSU or bad caps on your MVS will result in random crashes, sound glitches etc.

As SmokeMonsters says - the 161 in 1 tends to be better, but even that can suffer sound glitches, albeit a lot less than any of the other multicarts, but you can also improve that by adding 2 x 47pF caps, and you can (and probably should if you want it to last, swap out the 2 diodes on the prog board with a 3.3v regulator.

Do you have a link for your vids? My 120 has the sound issues. Thanks man.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Can anyone test Blue's Journey, just noticed I don't get sound on it on the 161-in-1 for some reason, all other games are fine, but I remember this one working on my MV-1C, using a different board now.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Can anyone test Blue's Journey, just noticed I don't get sound on it on the 161-in-1 for some reason, all other games are fine, but I remember this one working on my MV-1C, using a different board now.
That's a know bug, but you can get around it. Blue's Journey will boot with sound after loading any game and then returning to the menu (hold P1 start for 5 seconds, as long as a memory card isn't inserted) to start it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

I actually have the same bug, will try SmokeMonster's tip to see if it works.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Yeah it works. I noticed the bug too and GadgetUK game me that workaround in another thread. You need to have a Unibios installed, which allows you to reset. You just can't have a memory card inserted or reset doesn't work.

Is it normal for metal slug to have a tiny bit of slowdown ?

Also it sounds bad through my tv it's only mono mind ,I am playing through a 2 slot console mvs

Any one else had these issues

Last edited: