161-in-1 Game Breakdown

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
AES multicart is made by DavidG/Jason Young, creater of English Aero Fighters 3. And the price you see in the neostore is with a 25% consignment fee on top of the actual price.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
AES multicart is made by DavidG/Jason Young, creater of English Aero Fighters 3. And the price you see in the neostore is with a 25% consignment fee on top of the actual price.

He's still not making money off of that, is he?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Chamane has already been refunded, so what comes after obviously goes to profits.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
you have a point there SWM but keep in mind that AES multicarts from the neostore cost pretty much 500$ or above and they are coming always randomly in a limited supply. This and the fact that the MVS only got recently more popular than the AES gave and still give people plenty of room to come up with a multi cart on the AES to make money out of it.

Funnily enough, He is only moving the banana yellow cart to a AES cart. So I'm sure his profit is grand.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Funnily enough, He is only moving the banana yellow cart to a AES cart. So I'm sure his profit is grand.

So that AES cart has the same bugs that the MVS cart has? does at least the start-to-menu trick works?

Regards.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
these multi cards arent being produced anymore you make it sound like they are which they are not. If so, you would already see a 200 in 1 cart or an everdrive, especially as it would free the chinese from any legal issues instead uploading the roms directly into the carts.
Do you have a source for your claim that mulitcarts are no longer produced?

A Flashdrive is technically more demanding (both in terms of development as well as in hardware parts) than a "static" rom cart like the multicarts present now. The reason why there is no "200 in 1" might be that they have already covered most roms with the carts available to date and just keep selling what they have instead of investing further time in developing another compilation of roms/hacks (there will be no cart with all games on it, because then all previous multicarts will become obsolete - the way things are people buy 2 or more of the multicarts to cover all the games they want).

PSICODROMO

Crazed MVS Addict
I think the best solution is a set of 2 or 3 multigames cartridges with a full set, without hacks, then a flashcard is not necessary. Obviusly ii better solution if is possible put the full set in one cartridge, but without glitches, sound issues, hacks... and a good menu, with logo titles or screenshots of each game like the 138in1.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I keep bashing the multicarts aggressively because people tend to forget they are bootlegs (of low quality) which are in a lot of regards inferior to the original cartridges. I don't have any problem with people buying/playing multis at all as long as they keep that in mind and don't treat multis like legit releases. I have stated that many times before and sure multis are a good option if you don't have the money for a certain release or want to test games before buying.

I find that the multicarts apart from being an economical way to play some of the rarer / more expensive games are also pretty convinient by way of the 'hold 1P Start to return to menu' feature. As for the lower quality - here I am not so sure. I have no problems with my multicart and have not really heard of any such problems amongst friends or when reading the forums and in any event OEM SNK hardware / software wasn't exactly of sterling quality - dodgy traces, failing backup ram etc.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I find that the multicarts apart from being an economical way to play some of the rarer / more expensive games are also pretty convinient by way of the 'hold 1P Start to return to menu' feature. As for the lower quality - here I am not so sure. I have no problems with my multicart and have not really heard of any such problems amongst friends or when reading the forums and in any event OEM SNK hardware / software wasn't exactly of sterling quality - dodgy traces, failing backup ram etc.

The problem with the return to menu feature is that the cart then becomes like MAME; it's far too easy to switch between games too often without really sinking your teeth into a particular title. Bugs aside, I will always prefer a dedicated cart that I can keep in my cab for extended periods of time and thoroughly enjoy.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I find that the multicarts apart from being an economical way to play some of the rarer / more expensive games are also pretty convenient by way of the 'hold 1P Start to return to menu' feature.

The feature doesn't work with the 2-in-1 Jamma switcher that Mike's Arcade sells since that switcher requires you to push both P1/P2 start buttons at the same time to switch between two PCBs.

Plus, most of the multicarts don't allow you to remove games you don't want (only the 138in1 could), and some have the difficulty locked (like the 120in1, which is set to Level 8 and unchangable).

So, I'm with Kuze on this one... nothing beats a dedicated cart that you can just turn your machine on and play right then. If the N-in-1 carts worked more like Darksoft's ST-V multi cart, then this would be far less an issue, of course.

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
The problem with the return to menu feature is that the cart then becomes like MAME; it's far too easy to switch between games too often without really sinking your teeth into a particular title. Bugs aside, I will always prefer a dedicated cart that I can keep in my cab for extended periods of time and thoroughly enjoy.

I guess the possibility of switching between games is really nothing more than an extension of the multislot board idea - just instead of switching between e.g. 6 slots / games, here you have the option of switching between c.a. 90-something titles. Whether one decides to jump in and out of games or focus on one is entirely up to the individual.
The other nice feature of the 161-in-1 is no load Times, which were present on the 138-in-1 and are would no doubt be present on any flash cart, should one ever be made.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I have no problems with my multicart and have not really heard of any such problems amongst friends or when reading the forums and in any event OEM SNK hardware / software wasn't exactly of sterling quality - dodgy traces, failing backup ram etc.
you haven't heard of those problems YET ;) The parts used are definitely questionable, no comparison to the mask chips SNK used... but quality wise, you really can't trust the software either, e.g. Garou beta.

I guess the possibility of switching between games is really nothing more than an extension of the multislot board idea
How? The multislots were made so that arcade operators could have more than one game in a single machine... as a player you would still have only a finite amount of credits to a limited number of games. The "time to game ratio" would still be very different to that of a multicart... but, well, it's up to people what to spend their time on and how to spend it. I also think multicarts are convenient.

Slugger

Marked Wolf
I don't mind people playing neo games on multicarts since mvs prices on some games are far too expensive nowdays. Not everybody has the money to buy SSVS, Pulstar etc. As long as mvs prices go up multicarts are ok. Btw. I don't own a multicart.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Does anyone know how to get back to game menu list screen for 161in1 cart? I tried to hold down start button on P1 foe 5s to 10s but it's not working. Maybe it's something to do with multicart?

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Does anyone know how to get back to game menu list screen for 161in1 cart? I tried to hold down start button on P1 foe 5s to 10s but it's not working. Maybe it's something to do with multicart?

More to do with what hardware you are playing on. Check the previous page (no. 36) of this thread, this has already been covered.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
For this to work, you have to meet some requirements:

- You have to be using an MVS board, as the trick does not work on AES+converter.
- You cannot have a Memory card inserted.
- If your CMVS has an internal memory card (Omega or AI) trick also fails.

Other than that, you should be fine.

What if my CMVS has internal memory card, can I disable it?

Anyway i can get it to work?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
In my cab, I was having a problem with my MVS-1FZ not being able to do the "hold start to get back to the menu" thing as I'm running it on a 2-in-1 jamma switcher. What I did was wire a button/microswitch at the MVS where it connects to the Jamma connector (pins 17 and 28). So I basically have my normal start button (can't change games), and also a back-up start button that's at the actual MVS (can hold to change games).

Not sure if this will help you with a CMVS or not, but thought I'd post this info in case anyone else happened to be having this problem in a cab.

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
The problem with the return to menu feature is that the cart then becomes like MAME; it's far too easy to switch between games too often without really sinking your teeth into a particular title.

Sounds like more of a problem with the player to me, if they are indeed even trying to learn a game seriously. Nothing particularly wrong either with people who enjoy bouncing from game to game to get their ya-yas. Most of the best shmup players outside of Asia use MAME. I also enjoy owning a dedicated game, but claiming the ease of dilly-dallying is a problem with the cart sounds silly to me.

PSICODROMO

Crazed MVS Addict
in the 120in1 you can change the dificult level using the dips to acces a internal menu in the cartridge, is possible select the dificult and lives of each game, and then is saved in the cartridge.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Sounds like more of a problem with the player to me, if they are indeed even trying to learn a game seriously. Nothing particularly wrong either with people who enjoy bouncing from game to game to get their ya-yas. Most of the best shmup players outside of Asia use MAME. I also enjoy owning a dedicated game, but claiming the ease of dilly-dallying is a problem with the cart sounds silly to me.

Agreed. Convenience between switching games shouldn't affect your ability to enjoy it. Just play it.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
in the 120in1 you can change the dificult level using the dips to acces a internal menu in the cartridge, is possible select the dificult and lives of each game, and then is saved in the cartridge.

I finally got it to work and the difficulties changed. Weird that I missed this months ago.

I also wired a dedicated start button at my MVS so that the hold to get back to the menu would work, as that wasn't working with my 2in1 switcher.

I've bought the 161-1 cart and and I'm generally pleased with it to quickly build up my library but I noticed the music on some games is just static sounding like it's not loading, I recall it seem this way on NEO BOmberman, puzzle bobble 2, Capcom vs SNK, is this just me or do other people see this? is this a bad connection, I"m usinjg a 4 slot. Not sure if it's suppose to work fine or it's just flaky based on what you have in other slots etc.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I've bought the 161-1 cart and and I'm generally pleased with it to quickly build up my library but I noticed the music on some games is just static sounding like it's not loading, I recall it seem this way on NEO BOmberman, puzzle bobble 2, Capcom vs SNK, is this just me or do other people see this? is this a bad connection, I"m usinjg a 4 slot. Not sure if it's suppose to work fine or it's just flaky based on what you have in other slots etc.

Make sure the contacts on the cartridge and board are clean and secure. Also remove any extra carts you have in the board. I had a lot of issues with sound before I did that, as the other cartridges were causing odd power issues.

Last edited: