161-in-1 Game Breakdown

autobahn3000

Banned

Here's a video of me running the steps. I'd already posted a video previously showing that removing the memory card allows you to exit to the menu when it was already inserted previously. Hopefully this proves or disproves whatever it was intended to. Let me know if there are any other tests that people would like done. I've found myself with alot of free time on my hands for a while.

Thanks for the help & the quick response!! You da man!!

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...o-CMVS-Systems-and-Kits&p=3748347#post3748347

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm not sure if anyone gives a damn, but I gambled on ordering my 161-1 in 1 from this seller on aliexpress:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SNK-...-board-SNK-pcb-game-board-for/1869038007.html

Was $66 shipped to the US... that's lowest I've seen it go w/ shipping; and I was shocked that it arrived in 6 days after ordering.

So it's a US shipper? That's interesting. Have you checked your CC statement recently?

I see anyone with Unibios higher than 3.0 is doing fine with this cart, but I do see a post that it doesn't work with Unibios 2.3. Can anyone confirm?

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
So it's a US shipper? That's interesting. Have you checked your CC statement recently?

I see anyone with Unibios higher than 3.0 is doing fine with this cart, but I do see a post that it doesn't work with Unibios 2.3. Can anyone confirm?

No, it was definitely from China; and I used a temp card for the charge.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

I have used this cart successfully with an AES with converter and also with a CMVS, both with UniBIOS 2.3. It works fine, no problems other than the ones already known.

Regards.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
No, it was definitely from China; and I used a temp card for the charge.

That's a good idea. I think I might go for it. Do you get temporary cards online or locally?

I have used this cart successfully with an AES with converter and also with a CMVS, both with UniBIOS 2.3. It works fine, no problems other than the ones already known.

Regards.

Awesome. Thanks.

Last edited:

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
That's a good idea. I think I might go for it. Do you get temporary cards online or locally?

Paypal used to do it but not anymore apparently. My bank allows me to request a specific amount online via my credit card account and then generates a random CC# and expiration with that amount available to charge. I'd imagine most major banks offer it.

mohawk33

n00b
Hey Folks,

I got an 161 in 1 and it worked fine... until now :-(

Now of a sudden i got the folowing message when i select one of these games (nightmare, metal slug 4 and sengoku 3)... the modified (+) versions of these games work. They were running perfect before but now i get this message:

"This rom cartridge is for use with original SNK boards....."

So far the other games work, but i havent tried all of them.

I am using an MV 1F (original bios) with a supergun...

Does anybody know where the problem is ? MVS or multicart?

Thanks for your help !!!:mr_t:

Last edited:

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey Folks,

I got an 161 in 1 and it worked fine... until now :-(

Now of a sudden i got the folowing message when i select one of these games (nightmare, metal slug 4 and sengoku 3)... the modified (+) versions of these games work. They were running perfect before but now i get this message:

"This rom cartridge is for use with original SNK boards....."

So far the other games work, but i havent tried all of them.

I am using an MV 1F (original bios) with a supergun...

Does anybody know where the problem is ? MVS or multicart?

Thanks for your help !!!:mr_t:

I doubt there's clone PCB of MV-1F (I've seen the 1C and 1FZ on mvs scans), but you could always look up pics and compare with yours. I know multicarts on my 1C were very fussy. To the point where I was always getting an error on boot (prior to the menu selection screen) if I kept the official bios in. That issue went away as soon as I installed a Unibios. If you know someone with a Unibios, might be worth a shot to try it in and see how it fares.

mohawk33

n00b
Thanks genetik for the quick reply!

I think the MV-1F is an original one. The chips all have Company labels (Toshiba, Sony, Z80 etc.). There is also an SNK sign everywhere including an original seal with serial number.

The funny thing is that metal slug 4 worked once yesterday. But after a reboot of the machine its the same problem. When i bought the mvs and multicart every game was working but now (2 years later) i get this message.
I removed the battery from the MVS a while ago, but i dont think thats an issue, or is it?

Could it be that some eproms or other stuff inside the Multicart have gone bad after time?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
or just get a unibios - it's 30€ well spend.

Ever wanted to play in AES mode? Change the region? Pause your games? Reboot without having to get up from the couch? Use cheats?
The UNIVERSE BIOS has all that and more.

//EDIT: the multicarts are bootlegs made from scrap parts... issues are part of their nature. Get used to it or buy the real deal.

Last edited:

mohawk33

n00b
Allright ;-)

I am going to check out that UNI BIOS ;-) Does it work with the 161 in 1 multicart properly?

mohawk33

n00b
I think i found the problem...

In the Hardware test menue is saw that there was a conection problem with the 1 Player Button C (Pin 12). I cleaned the coresponding supergun contacts and the contacts on the MVS Jamma connection and now all the mentioned games are working again :-)

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Is it normal for all the games to default to level 8 difficulty? I've tried using the hard dip, setting the software to a lower level, works fine. But if I turn it off and back on it's back to 8.

Anyone know a way around this? I'm using a MV-1C if it matters.

Yeah. It's normal for multicarts to default to the hardest difficulty level.

On my 120in1, the game defaults to Level 8 when powered up... I'll go into the service menu and change it down to Level 4, but when I go back into the game, it'll still say Level 8! Check the service menu and it'll say Level 4. The game would even feel like the difficulty had changed, but it wouldn't reflect it on the screen (which still said Level 8).

Combine that with some annoying audio problems and I took all this as a sign that my MVS wanted me to buy actual carts for each of the games I liked playing.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I already answered how to fix this. Set the software dips after the game is loaded. Then hold 1P for 5 seconds and reset back to menu, the settings will be saved.

I don't have any audio issues. I have seen graphical glitches in samurai shodown I and the Aerofighters 3 bullet glitch making it basically unplayable. Other than that, no issues on any of the games.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I don't have any audio issues. I have seen graphical glitches in samurai shodown I and the Aerofighters 3 bullet glitch making it basically unplayable. Other than that, no issues on any of the games.

Check the music in the attract mode of KoF 95. On my 161, there are missing instruments, compared to the original KoF 95. That's the one I remember because I play this game a lot, but I am pretty sure there are other audio issues in other games.

Regards.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Check the music in the attract mode of KoF 95. On my 161, there are missing instruments, compared to the original KoF 95. That's the one I remember because I play this game a lot, but I am pretty sure there are other audio issues in other games.

Regards.

Regarding the audio on the 161-in-1 one thing which got me thinking is how the SNK startup logo theme sounds different / distorted on some of the games. That kind of points to the possibility that there may be audio issues in the actual games too, although I can't really say I noticed anything blatantly out of place when actually playing the games.

Pasky

The startup wasn't a part of the bios, so each game added it in. No idea if SNK ever made a standard that it sent to developers or part of a SDK or something. Pulstar comes to mind and it's tone was intentionally different iirc. Might have been blazing star I'm thinking of.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm curious as to why there hasn't been any newer editions of this bootleg. Its been about three years since it came out. Anyone heard anything?

I'm very, very tempted to buy this, but with my luck a new 200-1 cartridge will hit the interwebz the day after.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'm curious as to why there hasn't been any newer editions of this bootleg. Its been about three years since it came out. Anyone heard anything?

I'm very, very tempted to buy this, but with my luck a new 200-1 cartridge will hit the interwebz the day after.

If you like the games on the 161 I would say there is little point in waiting since even if e.g. a 200-in-1 comes out you can be quite certain that at least half of the games will be hacks anyway. You can also check out the 120-in-1 and every so often a 60-in-1 also pops up which has primarily authentic titles saving time scrolling through the hacks.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

The more games it boasts, the more hacks and boots its gonna have. It still will not, nor probably ever will, have every legit ROM. I'd jump on it now, the only reason people have various multicarts is due to one or two diff games on them and not for the quantity.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I already answered how to fix this. Set the software dips after the game is loaded. Then hold 1P for 5 seconds and reset back to menu, the settings will be saved.

Sorry, missed your post on the previous page about this. Such a convoluted way to just get the service menu settings to accept. >_>

I've tried to get this to work, though, on my 120in1 and the Level setting still won't take. Granted, I am using a 2in1 Jamma Switcher in my cab which prevents me from doing the "hold P1 start for 5 seconds to get back to the menu" thing, so that's probably why. I'll have to take my MVS out of my cab and try it on my supergun at some point to see if I can get anything to take.

Pasky

Ya, I don't think the 120-in-1 saves it, I haven't played mine much but I do remember trying and it wouldn't save.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The more games it boasts, the more hacks and boots its gonna have. It still will not, nor probably ever will, have every legit ROM. I'd jump on it now, the only reason people have various multicarts is due to one or two diff games on them and not for the quantity.

Understood, but I figured there would be a few more legit games in the library should they make a new one. They seem to add more with each release.

Oh well, I can always sell it later if I want to. I'll grab it up.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Understood, but I figured there would be a few more legit games in the library should they make a new one. They seem to add more with each release.

Oh well, I can always sell it later if I want to. I'll grab it up.

I hear you, but they all seem to miss a couple of high value games or have a bad version of a high value high demand game (NAM and magicians lord come to mind as well as the 161 having a beta version of Garou)