161-in-1 Game Breakdown

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
The reset is working fine now. I think it's the memory card. I'll have to test that next.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I seem to have found an odd bug with the 161 multicart. I have an analogue interactive CMVS with 3.1 unibios. so I was trying to play metal slug 4 in US AES mode and the game works fine in the menus but once I get into the game none of the buttons work but the joystick movement works, when played in MVS mode it plays flawlessly. Can anyone else confirm this?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
Confirmed lol. I tried it on both my 161 and 138 carts, and it exhibited the same behavior. I did the unibios CRC check on my 138 version, and everything checked out OK (crc check is pointless on 161 versions since they have all been patched to interact with the menu). Maybe there are different AES and MVS romsets for MS4? Could someone with a legit MVS Metal Slug 4 and unibios please try playing it in AES mode to check if this bug occurs?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I tried the genuine MS4 cart, as well as both MS4 and MS4+ in the 100-in-1 multicart using Phantom-1 converter and Unibios 2.3 in US console mode. All of them work flawlessly.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Confirmed lol. I tried it on both my 161 and 138 carts, and it exhibited the same behavior. I did the unibios CRC check on my 138 version, and everything checked out OK (crc check is pointless on 161 versions since they have all been patched to interact with the menu). Maybe there are different AES and MVS romsets for MS4? Could someone with a legit MVS Metal Slug 4 and unibios please try playing it in AES mode to check if this bug occurs?
I figured it out! for some reason you have to go into the ingame options and rekeybind all the buttons, every time you start the game in AES mode. it's annoying but it works now.

jessiewonka

New Challenger
I have the 120-in-1 and for the most part it seems solid. I picked it up after hearing about its good reputation here and elsewhere. It's saving data on the Omega no problems, and no resets or majorly obvious glitches.

Small in-game glitches? Maybe...I don't know the originals well enough to say. I've seen some questionable visual quirks, but that could just be the game. I'd love to see some side-by-side comparison videos. In the end it's good enough as a sampler.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
This has probably been discussed before, but what's stopping someone from making a proper MVS Multicart with good versions of all the Neo Geo games? I'm not talking about a flashcart that can be updated and reloaded, just a multicart like the 161-in-1 with all the missing games and without all the stupid hacks.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If a multicart with every game is ever made, no one would be able to build another that would sell. As Steve Jobs have envisioned, planned obsolescence is the way to go. XD

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Its not just about planned obsolescence. Manufacturers are leveraging game size vs. total bang for the buck. By skipping some rom dumps/images, they are able to add/include many others. Making the total package more attractive to the prospective owner. I don't see a total solution ever coming unless Krizz changes his mind and releases a AES/MVS Everdrive. To say this is an unlikely event is an understatement, given his expressed views on the subject coupled with the price of such a devices creation.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Considering that the SD mod of NGX can hold everything that's been released on the neo (as well as gameboy and playstation), I don't think a tradeoff due to memory size is the issue at hand.

Evanc

n00b
I just received my cart in the mail. Have a four slot. I shaved down the sides to get it inserting easier, thank you guys for that tip. I can't seem to get it working properly though. It's the only cart I have loaded. Seems to work best in my third slot, but I am getting bad sound issues with every game. I can hear the music/effects, but there is an extremely loud high pitched hum. Any ideas what could cause this, or how I can fix it?

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave
Anybody else have problems with KOF 2003 on your 161-in-1? My actual KOF 2003 cart works fine, but on the 161-in-1 some of the backgrounds in the game are a little odd. I am able to move my fighters past the edge of the screen on certain backgrounds.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I just received my cart in the mail. Have a four slot. I shaved down the sides to get it inserting easier, thank you guys for that tip. I can't seem to get it working properly though. It's the only cart I have loaded. Seems to work best in my third slot, but I am getting bad sound issues with every game. I can hear the music/effects, but there is an extremely loud high pitched hum. Any ideas what could cause this, or how I can fix it?

it seems you are experiencing problems because you have a multi-slot.

vinnyguy

n00b
I borrowed a 161 from a friend and it wouldn't work in my unibios mv2f(just a mess of garbled graphics after selecting a game, the menu looked fine)...It works fine in his 2slot board and he doesn't have unibios. My unibios is ver 2.3, anybody know if these carts work with other versions? I ended up using it in a single slot board I've got, it was neat to be able to play a number of games I'll likely never own.
I liked andro dunos and robo army.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I borrowed a 161 from a friend and it wouldn't work in my unibios mv2f(just a mess of garbled graphics after selecting a game, the menu looked fine)...It works fine in his 2slot board and he doesn't have unibios. My unibios is ver 2.3, anybody know if these carts work with other versions? I ended up using it in a single slot board I've got, it was neat to be able to play a number of games I'll likely never own.
I liked andro dunos and robo army.

I've got an mv2f with unibios 3.0 and the 161 works with it

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I have an Omega (Unibios 3.1) with AES stick and the 161 works flawlessly.

Protip: After launching your game from the 161 menu, press Start+Select to access the Unibios menu, select "soft reboot" then hold B+C+D to set options (blood for example in Metal Slug) for each game.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Its not just about planned obsolescence. Manufacturers are leveraging game size vs. total bang for the buck. By skipping some rom dumps/images, they are able to add/include many others. Making the total package more attractive to the prospective owner. I don't see a total solution ever coming unless Krizz changes his mind and releases a AES/MVS Everdrive. To say this is an unlikely event is an understatement, given his expressed views on the subject coupled with the price of such a devices creation.

i am not so sure if its really possible to release an everdrive for the neogeo, unlike other rom cartridges based systems the neo geo used different parts as time went on. I if i am not mistaken some chips even improved the graphics by giving the console faster access to the data. So a variety of these chips would have to be implanted to give perfect support and not to emulate the roms.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I have seen the following issues on my 161-in-1 using Omega CMVS with original BIOS (no UniBIOS at all):

1. Garou and Garou+ reset when using Kin Jae Hoon's TOP movement (but Hokutomaru's scarf is red on both pictures of select screen, that suggests the ROM is of full game?)
2. Both Aero Fighters are missing the attract screen's audio
3. Aero Fighters 3 issue with bullets floating
4. King of Fighters 95 has bad music on the attract screen (compared to original MVS cartridge)
5. Some of the games do not play the Neo Geo startup screen (Metal Slug 3 for instance) but on my AES with converter plays it fine
6. Game shell is bigger than original MVS games (not easy to fit on the Omega CMVS)
7. PCBs are wider than original MVS games (fixable with an exacto knife)
8. Not an issue, but mine returns to menu holding start 5 seconds even tough is set to free play (DIP switch 7)

Regards.

jessiewonka

New Challenger
Hi

I have seen the following issues on my 161-in-1 using Omega CMVS with original BIOS (no UniBIOS at all):

1. Garou and Garou+ reset when using Kin Jae Hoon's TOP movement (but Hokutomaru's scarf is red on both pictures of select screen, that suggests the ROM is of full game?)
2. Both Aero Fighters are missing the attract screen's audio
3. Aero Fighters 3 issue with bullets floating
4. King of Fighters 95 has bad music on the attract screen (compared to original MVS cartridge)
5. Some of the games do not play the Neo Geo startup screen (Metal Slug 3 for instance) but on my AES with converter plays it fine
6. Game shell is bigger than original MVS games (not easy to fit on the Omega CMVS)
7. PCBs are wider than original MVS games (fixable with an exacto knife)
8. Not an issue, but mine returns to menu holding start 5 seconds even tough is set to free play (DIP switch 7)

Regards.

On the 120-in-1 I have there's no issue with missing audio on attract for Aero Fighters 2.

Going to buy a super mvs converter and this hack this week. Any suggestions or things I should be aware of? Do you guys think I should hold off because a hack will come out with all games or is that just wishful thinking? I'm going to be using a console that hasn't been modded in any way

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
For me the 161-in-1 Reboots on Pulstar, Sound is off in SNK vs Capcom, and the cart got stuck in my MV-1. I had to slowly pry it out of the cartage slot with a screw driver, being careful not to damage the riser board.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you're using an unmodded console, you might want the Magic Key converter instead for the built in Unibios.

There are so many 161 carts, are they all made by one person or are there knock offs and cheaply made ones?

Someone suggested holland computers. Any experience with them?