Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: 161-in-1 Game Breakdown

Zero's Tailor

Quote Originally Posted by MtothaJ View Post
    Thanks for the insight, finally some proper info aiming to resolve this problem. I will open up my cart and investigate whether the length of the connector is also the problem in the case of my cart.
    Just to confirm that this resolves the problem 100% - just filed the edges of both of the boards with a small metal nail file and now I have absolutely no problems in inserting / removing the cart. Many thanks BladeDancer314!
    Regards, MtothaJ

Street Hoop Star

Just to confirm that this resolves the problem 100% - just filed the edges of both of the boards with a small metal nail file and now I have absolutely no problems in inserting / removing the cart. Many thanks BladeDancer314!
    no problem guys, happy to help.

hopefully everyone else that's running into this issue finds out about this simple fix.

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Quote Originally Posted by BladeDancer314 View Post
    I measured the thickness of the multicart PCB and compared it to a legit SNK MVS cart and the difference was never more than .005 of an inch, so personally I wouldnt worry, but thats just my opinion.

This is where I would worry, check out these pics.

Attachment 9549

Attachment 9550

The picture on the bottom, the one that reads 6.1075 inches is AFTER I filed it down, it was extremely difficult to insert and remove my 161-1 multi cart before this, I had to use a couple of t-shirts to hold down the 2-slot PCB because it was flexing so much, its fine now.
    Do you happen to have a Japanese copy of Metal Slug 4 you could measure too? I find that cart just as hard to remove as the 161 and 1 and its not a boot. anyone else have this issue?

Street Hoop Star

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjainspandex View Post
    Do you happen to have a Japanese copy of Metal Slug 4 you could measure too? I find that cart just as hard to remove as the 161 and 1 and its not a boot. anyone else have this issue?
    I'm sorry,I do not have MS4

one easy way to see if it's the same issue is if the cart seems to want to go in in a diagonal way at times.

my multicart used to do this before I filed down the board.

Zero's Tailor

I noticed last night that when I used my 161-1 cart all the games had the same neo-geo splash screen, the original one.

I was expecting the newer titles to have the gigapower splash.

am I totally crazy here guys?
    I think that the splashes are there - just this morning I was playing 3 Count Bout and there is a 100 Mega Shock splash right after the standard one. I am pretty sure that i have also seen the Giga Power one - maybe check out the newer titles e.g. SSVS or SVC Chaos or Sengoku 3.
    Regards, MtothaJ

Street Hoop Star

I think that the splashes are there - just this morning I was playing 3 Count Bout and there is a 100 Mega Shock splash right after the standard one. I am pretty sure that i have also seen the Giga Power one - maybe check out the newer titles e.g. SSVS or SVC Chaos or Sengoku 3.
    disregard my post LOL.

I tried other games and like you said they are there.

Benimaru's Hairdresser

no problem guys, happy to help.

hopefully everyone else that's running into this issue finds out about this simple fix.
    I can also report that this made my 161-in-1 cart easier to insert and remove.

I no longer feel like I am destroying the board when I insert it.

Still tougher than a normal cart.

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Filing the edges of my 161 in 1 worked like a charm! now I have no fear using it on my CMVS. now I wonder if I should do the same to my Metal Slug 4 cart

Benimaru's Hairdresser

Filing the edges of my 161 in 1 worked like a charm! now I have no fear using it on my CMVS. now I wonder if I should do the same to my Metal Slug 4 cart
    Or you could just play it on the 161 in 1

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Quote Originally Posted by Nickrb View Post
    Or you could just play it on the 161 in 1
    I only resort to the 161 in 1 for games that are out of my price range or games I have no interest in owning. If I own the legit cart I'd rather play it on that

Timid Neo Newbie

Good tip about the 161 in 1, so I know what to do when I get mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigormortis View Post
    I'd like to add that if you're planning on owning only one multicart, you may want to give the 120 serious consideration over the 161. It has Twinkle Star Sprites and Shock Troopers, and I believe it has a perfectly working final version of Garou Mark of the Wolves.

edit: I just saw in your previous post that you have the 120 in 1. Can you check Aero Fighters 3 (game #65) to see if it suffers from the freezing bullets glitch that plagues the version on the 161 in 1 cart?

That's a really useful list, but it needs a little editing. It lists Art of Fighting on the 120 and the 161, and I'm pretty sure neither of them has that game.

Hey Vigormortis, I checked and Aero Fighters 3 plays perfect on the 120in1 cart. Played to level six on my Omega VMC with no freezing bullets.

Geese's Thug

Cool, thanks for testing this out. So yeah, for anyone looking for a multicart, you may wanna consider the 120 in 1 over the 161 in 1 if Garou Mark of the Wolves, Aero Fighters 3, and Samurai Shodown II are important to you, heh heh. Last Blade 2 *might* also be a reason. I've seen reset glitches on the 161, but haven't tested it on anything else. I have the 138 in 1, which seems to use the same rom set as the 120 plus additional games (autobahn's Aero Fighters 3 test on the 120 has convinced me of this). The 138 actually has the biggest game library on a single cart, but it uses that awful daughterboard for its menu system (which I replaced with dip switches), so I only use it for games that don't exist or don't work right on the 161.

Zero's Tailor

Cool, thanks for testing this out. So yeah, for anyone looking for a multicart, you may wanna consider the 120 in 1 over the 161 in 1 if Garou Mark of the Wolves, Aero Fighters 3, and Samurai Shodown II are important to you, heh heh. Last Blade 2 *might* also be a reason. I've seen reset glitches on the 161, but haven't tested it on anything else. I have the 138 in 1, which seems to use the same rom set as the 120 plus additional games (autobahn's Aero Fighters 3 test on the 120 has convinced me of this). The 138 actually has the biggest game library on a single cart, but it uses that awful daughterboard for its menu system (which I replaced with dip switches), so I only use it for games that don't exist or don't work right on the 161.
    Can you elaborate what is wrong with the menu system interface on the 138-in-1? My recollection is that it allows one to hide the hacks which in itself is a great feature. That cart also has probably the best game selection of the existing NG multi carts - its just a shame that they are no longer available to purchase.
    Regards, MtothaJ

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Can you elaborate what is wrong with the menu system interface on the 138-in-1?
    The menu is fine, I guess. It's the sub-pcb/doughterboard (which provides the menu) that most people dislike. It goes in between the jamma-harness/supergun and the MVS motherboard. For multislots a fix is required to select other slots, also the cable between the cart and the sub-pcb is short, making it hard to use on multis and the MV-1. Because the games are copied to flash ram first, there is also a loading time (20-30 sec.) before the game starts and it will reset your safes. You can read up on the dipswitch fix here btw..

Zero's Tailor

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    The menu is fine, I guess. It's the sub-pcb/doughterboard (which provides the menu) that most people dislike. It goes in between the jamma-harness/supergun and the MVS motherboard. For multislots a fix is required to select other slots, also the cable between the cart and the sub-pcb is short, making it hard to use on multis and the MV-1. Because the games are copied to flash ram first, there is also a loading time (20-30 sec.) before the game starts and it will reset your safes. You can read up on the dipswitch fix here btw..
    I am using a super gun so I would have no issues with the daughterboard. I guess the loading times thing could be a bit annoying though, that said on the Blue Elft Jamma cart one also has to wait for games to load and at the end of the day its not such a big deal - definietly not a disqualifing factor.
    Regards, MtothaJ

Geese's Thug

I suppose my bias against the 138's external menu PCB stems from the fact that I use a CMVS heh heh. It doesn't actually copy the games from flash ram though. The roms on the 138 are stored in the same way as the roms on any other multicart. The 20-30 second "load time" you see with the menu PCB is really just the menu hiding the process of switching the game selection code and resetting the MVS. With the dipswitch mod, I enter the code for the desired game on the dip switches while the system is turned off. When I turn it on, the game boots up just like a real single title cartridge.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

With the dipswitch mod, I enter the code for the desired game on the dip switches while the system is turned off. When I turn it on, the game boots up just like a real single title cartridge.
    That's pretty cool actually. Thanks for the clarification.

[Still a boot though.]

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

So when exactly do the bullets freeze in Aerofighters 3? I played through stage 3 and no freezing bullets or any glitches at all. Have later versions of this cart been fixed? Haven't noticed Garou resetting either

Geese's Thug

When you execute Kim Jae Hoon's TOP attack, the game instantly crashes on my 161 cart. To quickly check for this, pick Kim Jae Hoon (NOT Kim Dong Hwan), set TOP to the beginning of your life bar, then once the match starts, press C+D to execute TOP move. Instacrash. Another thing to check for is Hokotumaru's miniature portrait on the character select screen - not the full sized one you see when you select him, just the small one that is in a row with everyone else's portrait. If his scarf is red, you've got the release version of the game and there's nothing to worry about. If it's yellow.... bad news :P. Please check for this on your 161 cart. It would be very interesting to know if there are different versions of it out there.

As for Aero Fighters 3, I see the problems begin almost immediately on my 161 cart. The problems are most obvious with difficulty set to 8 - tons of bullets just sitting wherever they please and unkillable bosses. My 138 cart is always there to save the day though

Benimaru's Hairdresser

So when exactly do the bullets freeze in Aerofighters 3? I played through stage 3 and no freezing bullets or any glitches at all. Have later versions of this cart been fixed? Haven't noticed Garou resetting either
    I get the frozen bullets on the Stage 13 boss- everything just sits there.

Zero's Tailor

As for Aero Fighters 3, I see the problems begin almost immediately on my 161 cart.
    Same here, I also get another variation where basically apart from the bullets getting stuck you cannot get hit by enemy fire and likewise your fire goes right through the on screen enemies. Either way the game is unplayable.
    Regards, MtothaJ

Geese's Thug

I just noticed something interesting:

Samurai Shodown V Special on the 161 cart is the MVS version. There are two intros which alternate during attract mode. In one, the narrator just reads his story and some boss portraits are shown. In the other, it quickly flips through portraits of all characters. Fatalities are available in both AES and MVS modes. In AES mode, there is no practice mode available.

The 138 in 1 (and presumably the 120 in 1) has the unfixed (or shall I say "unfucked") AES version. It lacks the attract mode that features all the character portraits. It has the sound glitch (announcer says "Ippon!" after a final victory instead of "Shoubu ari!"). In both AES and MVS modes, the fatalities are censored. The uncensor and sound fix option in Unibios' cheat menu restores the fatalities and proper sounds just like the real unfixed AES cart. In AES mode, a practice mode is available.

Morden's Lackey

It's probably already been mentioned, but Viewpoint on the 150-in-1 cart is hacked to give 99 lives per credit. Most likely on the 161 as well.
    Last edited by Boredom; 01-14-2014 at 10:04 PM.

Geese's Thug

In Viewpoint, lives per credit can be set anywhere between 1-99 in the softdip settings, but on the 161 cart the default is 3.

Thread Information