161-in-1 Game Breakdown

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I wonder why nobody created a cartridge emulation by using SD card or something, so you could just upload the games you wanted to play on SD cards.

Of course, a SD would fit ALL games on it.

It would sell better than water in the worst desert ever.
Why do that when they can get 1000's of people to buy the 170-1,185-1,200-1 first? it's about cash i guess :-)

DavidG

I can confirm the 150 and 161 (same boards) have enough room to hold every game plus every hack with room to spare.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
can you run more than 1 multicart in a multi slot MVS?
Maybe the 161 and the older multicart with PCB switch?

valgalder

Kula's Candy
doubt it. I my 2 slot couldn't even handle 1 multi-cart and 1 original MVS game without massive sound issues.

Elbardo

Banned
Interesting.... I have the 150-in-1 (came with my shiny new cab), and it's glitchy as hell with my 2-slotter.... I'm guessing they all are? The issues I have been having:

-sound is super glitchy if 2 carts are inserted, removing the other one fixes this

-sometimes, when switching games through the menu, the screen goes all wibbly-wobbly. Powering down and on doesn't fix it, but removing the multi and booting with a genuine cart remedies this. Having only one cart inserted helps, but the problem still occurs randomly.

The 138-in-1 sounds way better than the cart I have (NAM 1975!), but I don't want another glitchy mess.... one's enough for me.

Any tips to improve performance? The cab seller is willing to trade my 2 slotter for a 1 slot.... but I'm almost positive the board I have is the original one for this cab, and, all of my happy childhood Neo Geo memories revolve around a shiny red MVS-2 cab ^_^

Can someone explain please what's the thing with these XXX-in-1 carts, how come there are problems and glitches? I know they are bootlegs, but aren't those games still "original" ROMs, or do these boards run some kind of emulator? In any case what's wrong with them, and just how bad they are?

comatsu

n00b
Anyone know of any reliable places where I can buy a Super 138-in-1? All the shops I'm trying seem to be out of stock

OldTony

New Challenger
Can someone explain please what's the thing with these XXX-in-1 carts, how come there are problems and glitches? I know they are bootlegs, but aren't those games still "original" ROMs, or do these boards run some kind of emulator? In any case what's wrong with them, and just how bad they are?

Just brought my 161 in 1 for my MV 1FZ, it works perfect, just only problem is you must set soft dipswitch for each game when you power off the system. I've linked service button on my joystick so I can do it easily.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I was playing KOF 94 & the Hard Punch button (C) changed to Terry tipping his hat (Select Button I think)

Anyone else had that?

Hawk

Crossed Swords Squire
So whats the verdict with this cart? I was thinking of getting it just to tide me over while I try and find all the MVS games I want to own which could be awhile?

It will be running in a 4 slot board. Does it play nice with the Unibios?

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
What are the differences between the prototype of Garou: MoTW (as is the multicart version) and the final version?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Missing options in the multicart version, like the survival mode.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
So whats the verdict with this cart? I was thinking of getting it just to tide me over while I try and find all the MVS games I want to own which could be awhile?

It will be running in a 4 slot board. Does it play nice with the Unibios?

here's my verdict:
I've got an mv-1fz and it works perfectly, just a few set glitches in a few games, as per mentioned earlier in the thread. All games boot up fine, the only ones I really found unplayable were aerofighters 3, weird glitch where the enemies don't shoot at you, kinda unfun for a shmup, and also legend of success joe, because it just plain sucks.:oh_no:

I haven't tried it on a 4 slot, only a 1 slot and a cmvs so far. The cart is nice to get you a good selection of the harder-to-come-by titles, until you can hunt them down later on, I've found myseslf building my library around it by focusing on getting the games that aren't on it first, then the other stuff as it comes up. All in all though it works well for me.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Missing options in the multicart version, like the survival mode.

But the main "story" game mode plays just like the finished version? And a basic vs mode works just the same?

In other words: can I decide by playing this version if the playability of this title is worth buying this as a separate cart? :)
I really want to purchase a real shockboxed version of one fighter game, possibly with a kit and marquee and what not... and if I can compare between nice versions of Garou and various versions of KoF with this multicart then it would be nice!

Last edited:

Hawk

Crossed Swords Squire
Does this cart work ok with Unibios?

Do the shooters work well like Blazing Star etc?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
if you just wanna sample games just play mame mang, costs less and if you have a cab you will be less tempted to soak up all the fun out of the game untill you have it on legit hardware. I personally don't really give a shit about piracy of the neogeo at this point, but if you get 161 new games in one shot you will likely just jump around the game list and not really dig into one game and really soak up the experience. If you buy one game now and then, you get excited for that game, then you play it like a mofo because it's all you got, then eventually you get your 1cc or you get bored or whatever, then you grab another game :) The neogeo doesn't have a huge library, but it has alot of games that are really deep, no reason to rush through them and waste em if you went this far to get a nice cab and everything :)

but that's just me, many people have indeed spent the years putting real time into almost all the neogeo games, and having a multicart is just real convenient or cost effective.. I hear that... but for sampling? i think it will just oversaturate you with games.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Yeah, the cable tv phenomenom. That´s a good point. I can´t really start using neo geo with only one or two games though, I can´t really enjoy the system like that. But, as it turns out, I have found a local seller who has offered a lot of 12 shockboxed games to me for a really reasonable price of 200 euros. He apparently sold his cabinet 2 years ago and he hasn´t been able to get rid of them games and they took too much shelf space for him. :)
I think this will get me started a whole lot better than a multi cart!

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Does this cart work ok with Unibios?

Do the shooters work well like Blazing Star etc?

yes it works fine with unibios, as mentioned before pretty much all games run fine, except for aero fighters 3.

complexz is right though, I agreed with him earlier in this thread, this cart throws too much goodness at you all at once, and you do tend to jump around alot with it without really diving deep into any games. As he also stated, mame is an even better way to "Try-Before-You-Buy" because it's free. The cart is convenient though, and much more reliable than most other Multi-jamma type games. Truth is, and I think pretty much everyone agrees, that you will get more enjoyment out of collecting the real carts, but at least with some of the more uncommon games like Pultar and Samurai shodown 5 Special, you will get to play them on Neo hardware with this cart, instead of hoping they show up for sale on here and no one beats you to them:)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Have of any of guys seen the audio stop working on the 161 cart?

Borrowed one from someone and audio was fine for a while then suddenly while playing Blazing Star the audio just cut out. Power the mvs off and on and it would come back temporarily.

Now audio on all games is completely gone. Regular carts are fine, just this 161 seems to have issues.

Ideas?

Looks like i am going to owe the person I borrowed it from a new cart since it started having these issues in my possession.

Hawk

Crossed Swords Squire
if you just wanna sample games just play mame mang, costs less and if you have a cab you will be less tempted to soak up all the fun out of the game untill you have it on legit hardware. I personally don't really give a shit about piracy of the neogeo at this point, but if you get 161 new games in one shot you will likely just jump around the game list and not really dig into one game and really soak up the experience. If you buy one game now and then, you get excited for that game, then you play it like a mofo because it's all you got, then eventually you get your 1cc or you get bored or whatever, then you grab another game :) The neogeo doesn't have a huge library, but it has alot of games that are really deep, no reason to rush through them and waste em if you went this far to get a nice cab and everything :)

but that's just me, many people have indeed spent the years putting real time into almost all the neogeo games, and having a multicart is just real convenient or cost effective.. I hear that... but for sampling? i think it will just oversaturate you with games.

Alrighty man! I appreciate it. I still intend to collect the real deals. Just wanted something to tide me over.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
But the main "story" game mode plays just like the finished version? And a basic vs mode works just the same?

In other words: can I decide by playing this version if the playability of this title is worth buying this as a separate cart? :)
I really want to purchase a real shockboxed version of one fighter game, possibly with a kit and marquee and what not... and if I can compare between nice versions of Garou and various versions of KoF with this multicart then it would be nice!

Yes. In terms of actual gameplay, the multicart version of MotW is definitely representative of the legit version.

valgalder

Kula's Candy

Borrowed one from someone and audio was fine for a while then suddenly while playing Blazing Star the audio just cut out. Power the mvs off and on and it would come back temporarily.

Now audio on all games is completely gone. Regular carts are fine, just this 161 seems to have issues.

Ideas?

Looks like i am going to owe the person I borrowed it from a new cart since it started having these issues in my possession.

Only sound issues i've ever experienced with the multi-carts were a result of having a 2nd MVS cart on the board at the same time.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Now I am again seriously thinking about getting this multi cart for the sake of being able to play Mark of the Wolves on real hardware at all. There are several wtb threads for Garou with no replies. :(

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member

Audio turning to shit happened to me on a multi-game boot (8-in-1) and the audio totally quit working on a KoF 2k2 hack I had. Guess it's a common thing with shoestring budget bootlegs.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Yes. In terms of actual gameplay, the multicart version of MotW is definitely representative of the legit version.

No entirely true. Some of the moves are different in terms of what combos can/can't be done, that sort of thing. I can't elaborate, but a fellow member and Garou expert demonstrated this in front of me.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
No entirely true. Some of the moves are different in terms of what combos can/can't be done, that sort of thing. I can't elaborate, but a fellow member and Garou expert demonstrated this in front of me.

Yup, there are other subtle differences, the version included is based on a beta of the cart and this version has been floating around for over a decade.