161-in-1 Game Breakdown

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
What's the difference in the AoF2 and Double Dragon hacks? I never saw them on individual cartridges before.

I checked AOF 2 and it is indeed a Geese hack. If you hit right on Ryo, Geese's name pops up. It's not a particularly artful implementation, but it works. In the opening custcenes, it always shows Ryo vs Ryo, and when you're on the continue scene, it shows one of Temjin's moves. The gameplay was glitch-free.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Hmm, very interesting. If I'm not mistaken the game always crashes after the first fight if you use the Geese code with Unibios or MAME.

I'm assuming the SvC hacks just have the bosses unlocked, and possibly an infinite super bar? Besides Double Dragon+, I'd like to find out about Fighter's History Dynamite+.

On an unrelated note, the only multi-game cart I have is a 8-in-1 from years ago. I've noticed a lot of discussion about how these work better (only?) with single slot boards. Do they perform any better if they are the only cartridge inserted in a multi-slot board?

Oeps i received an invoice today i have to pay 21% tax to DHL courrier.
I forgot to add this cost.. so now the price becomes equal when i had ordered through ebay from french seller
Could i have avoid this import tax?

thanks

Lifespan

n00b
Just got mine last week and it works incredibly well. It's in my 4 slot with 3 other games and working perfectly.

DavidG

My 161-in-1 seems to be acting very odd...I think it may have something to do with the custom clear case I put it into:

:eek:..........:lolz:

Some things of interest about the multicarts - this will be for the 150 and 161 versions and a few others from the same group.

1) All chips from the roms to the Max chips are recycled from other boards - none of them are new.
2) All chips from the roms to the Max chips are coded before then dropped down on the boards.
3) All 150/161's are soldered by hand.
4) The boards were made to allow the CPLD's (Max chips) to be recoded however they were not made to allow the roms to be reflashed.
5) The 150/161's boards have room to hold every neo game ever made with a lot of room to spare.
6) The 150 and 161 use the same amount of memory. On the 161 they simply took the time to use more of the space they have.

I just ordered mine from aliexpress.com for $86 including EMS shipping to Sweden. I got a 6-slot MVS and my plan is to have the multicart in the first slot and 5 other games that I will pretty much have there permanently because the MVS unit and cart are probably taking damage in the long run from exchanging games too often.

$86 is not bad considering the exchange rate is damn good for US dollars -> Swedish Kronor

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I just ordered mine from aliexpress.com for $86 including EMS shipping to Sweden. I got a 6-slot MVS and my plan is to have the multicart in the first slot and 5 other games that I will pretty much have there permanently because the MVS unit and cart are probably taking damage in the long run from exchanging games too often.

$86 is not bad considering the exchange rate is damn good for US dollars -> Swedish Kronor

By nature, an MVS should theoretically have much less wear and tear on the cart slot than a home cart which has had the cart slot pulled and pushed on hundreds or thousands of times.......rather than a machine that stays locked up 24/7 under arcade conditions. Still, if you've got Ninja Masters, Waku Waku 7, Galaxy Fight, etc in there, you'll prolly never need to open it again. LOL

juxtapoz15

n00b
So I ordered my 161 in 1 cart Sunday. I was doing some research and stumbled across this thread. I decided to check the +5v leads on my power supply since some people were having problems. The LOWEST I can get mine to go is 7.2V on the 5V lead!! I can get the 15V lead to go down to 14.5V. I am going to confirm this with another multimeter. BTW, this isn't the original PS for this game, I had to replace the original with a HAPP 80-0015-00 after a flood in my basement.

Any suggestions on how to get the +5V lower or should I just buy a new PS.

EDIT: OK, so I reread the thread and I think I was testing wrong. I was testing directly from the JAMMA connector with it unplugged from the MVS board. Would there be much difference between testing from there and testing from the MVS board?

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
So I ordered my 161 in 1 cart Sunday. I was doing some research and stumbled across this thread. I decided to check the +5v leads on my power supply since some people were having problems. The LOWEST I can get mine to go is 7.2V on the 5V lead!! I can get the 15V lead to go down to 14.5V. I am going to confirm this with another multimeter. BTW, this isn't the original PS for this game, I had to replace the original with a HAPP 80-0015-00 after a flood in my basement.

Any suggestions on how to get the +5V lower or should I just buy a new PS.

EDIT: OK, so I reread the thread and I think I was testing wrong. I was testing directly from the JAMMA connector with it unplugged from the MVS board. Would there be much difference between testing from there and testing from the MVS board?

Yes. The PS needs to be under load to give an accurate reading.

Meaning, the board needs to be drawing power when you test. Very important.

juxtapoz15

n00b
Yes. The PS needs to be under load to give an accurate reading.

Meaning, the board needs to be drawing power when you test. Very important.

Wow, is this a pain in the A$$ on a 4 slot system. There are two boards for this PCB, the top one is for the game slots and the bottom one has the JAMMA connection. I need to get longer leads for my multimeter to reach down between boards. I guess I might be able to test from underneath the bottom board as well. I'm not running into any problems so I might not worry about it.

I actually did receive my 161 in 1 yesterday and everything appears to be working great. SBD, SS1 and several other games I tested work flawlessly.

I did run into one problem though. On the instruction it says to hold in player 1 start for 5 seconds to get back to the main menu. This doesn't work for me. Maybe this has something to do with me using a 4 slot system. I've already read the thread once and don't have time to read again so if this has already been answered I apologize.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I guess I might be able to test from underneath the bottom board as well. I'm not running into any problems so I might not worry about it.

Well, didn't you say you turned the voltage all the way down? If you didn't mark it and return the knob to its original location, I think you pretty much have to test it now. Maybe try some wires and alligator clips attached to your leads? It doesn't have to be pretty, but you don't want to possibly damage your board due to it being underpowered.

As for holding start not working, I know it doesn't work on home cart with a converter, but I can't remember if I heard any reports of it not working on a real MVS. Maybe try clearing your backup ram? It can't hurt.

Maybe you have a bootleg board made by Santa's elves? :p

DavidG

The new 161-in-1 will be making it's way around very soon.

It's real, it works and it rocks!

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
The new 161-in-1 will be making it's way around very soon.

It's real, it works and it rocks!

Owning both an MVS and a home cart system, this fills me with conflicted feelings lol. Did you make it?

P.S. Sacs are baaad, mmmkay? :p

I got my copy today. They sent it from Guangzhou, China, Thursday and I received it in Sweden today, monday. That's pretty fast, eh? Works like a charm too. The abscence of Sengoku 2 is bothering me though. And Metal Slug 5... and a bunch of others...

Where's Ironclad? That would rock.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I got my copy today. They sent it from Guangzhou, China, Thursday and I received it in Sweden today, monday. That's pretty fast, eh? Works like a charm too.

So it's from China. This is a beautiful thing. Ohhh man, the collector/hoarder/profiteer types are gonna looooove this. So awesome.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Is there a switching mechanism built in, or do you have to turn off the power and turn it back on again to change games?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is there a switching mechanism built in, or do you have to turn off the power and turn it back on again to change games?

Pretty sure it's the same as the other where you just hold start for 5 seconds.

DavidG

You have to turn off the system and back on to switch games. I've done some test with this and the issue is the system and not the game. I have a AES converter which is not fully working yet but will play an AES cart on the MVS boards and this cart does reset if you hold start for 5 seconds. So the cart can do it but on the aes it won't by default. In the end when I find out what is missing it will be a small mod to your home system.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You have to turn off the system and back on to switch games. I've done some test with this and the issue is the system and not the game. I have a AES converter which is not fully working yet but will play an AES cart on the MVS boards and this cart does reset if you hold start for 5 seconds. So the cart can do it but on the aes it won't by default. In the end when I find out what is missing it will be a small mod to your home system.

Maybe something in the coding. What does holding down start do in MVS mode?

steve8091

n00b
I found my way here from Google - excellent thread. I'm an avid retro-gamer, but a relative newcomer to Neo Geo (outside of playing in the arcade as a teenager). Next week I'm having delivered a 2-slot MVS cabinet, and I'm interested in picking up a multi-cart. Outside of the 2 slots, I know nothing yet of the cabinet. After some basic research, I plan to purchase the 161 game cart from excellentcom.

Anyone have any watchouts (use of this cart in this cabinet, BIOS, problems with the supplier, etc.)?

SePh1r0tH

n00b
I found my way here from Google - excellent thread. I'm an avid retro-gamer, but a relative newcomer to Neo Geo (outside of playing in the arcade as a teenager). Next week I'm having delivered a 2-slot MVS cabinet, and I'm interested in picking up a multi-cart. Outside of the 2 slots, I know nothing yet of the cabinet. After some basic research, I plan to purchase the 161 game cart from excellentcom.

Anyone have any watchouts (use of this cart in this cabinet, BIOS, problems with the supplier, etc.)?

I ordered my 121-1 cart from excellent, had no problems with them. The cart actually did not work with my AES so I ended up getting the 100-1. They did offer me a full refund but I ended up just selling it on eBay.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member

Excellentcom lives up to their name. As for the cart itself, personally I recommend buying a standalone copy of Samurai Shodown II and maybe 1, cos of the problems I've had with the rom version(s) on the cart. To me, the sound in 2 is bunk.

I also recommend finding a copy of Waku Waku 7 & Ninja Masters. Fo reals. ;)

valgalder

Kula's Candy
nice to see an AES release.. really stupid they didn't revamp the roms and take out the useless junk and put the missing important roms in... whatever.

Zoel

New Challenger
Well I end up with buying the 120 in 1 because it doesn't have the load times of the 138. And it also got Pulstar and Twinkle Star Sprities, which imo are some of the more expensive MVS cart out there.

I really want the 161 in 1 but with no Twinkle Star Sprites, thats a no no for me.