161-in-1 Game Breakdown

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Is there any good lulzhack or something in any of these multicart that would make them worth buying?

Nope, only useful ones are the fighters that have all the chars already unlocked.

other than metal slug 6, i can';t think of any 'lulz' hacks.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
In KOG, some of the female characters have nude sprites.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I can confirm that. I checked last night.

It's a very odd implementation. Certain animation frames have just been turned into topless or naked frames. Definitely something I would have shown friends in middle school.

Now I really wish there was a way to take certain games off the list.

Need some advice as a noon :) I just started collecting MVS and have a 161, a Sam Shodown and a Bust-a-move cart. I'm really just into playing as opposed to seriously collecting at this point but would like to pick up some carts nonetheless.

I'm planning to start with games that aren't on the 161 or are on the 161 but have issues or aren't the final release. Any suggestions?

bdlou

Quiz Detective
Need some advice as a noon :) I just started collecting MVS and have a 161, a Sam Shodown and a Bust-a-move cart. I'm really just into playing as opposed to seriously collecting at this point but would like to pick up some carts nonetheless.

I'm planning to start with games that aren't on the 161 or are on the 161 but have issues or aren't the final release. Any suggestions?

Yep. Read through this whole thread, because it documents all of the issues with the games on this cart.

mccloud5286

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Need some advice as a noon

Auto correction can be a bitch.

But seriously though, there are issues with the cart designs as well. Sometimes the PCB is a hair longer than the official SNK MVS cart size where you may have to shave off a little of the plastic. Got to love mass production.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

To begin: NAM-1975 (not on the 161), Magician Lord (not on the 161), Garou (glitches on the 161), Aero Fighters 3 (bugs on the 161), Metal Slug 5 (if you love the series like I do), Real Bout Fatal Fury or simply the Fatal Furies (1, 2 or Special) none of them on the 161, KoF 2000 (not on the 161), Shock Troopers (not on the 161).

Regards.

To begin: NAM-1975 (not on the 161), Magician Lord (not on the 161), Garou (glitches on the 161), Aero Fighters 3 (bugs on the 161), Metal Slug 5 (if you love the series like I do), Real Bout Fatal Fury or simply the Fatal Furies (1, 2 or Special) none of them on the 161, KoF 2000 (not on the 161), Shock Troopers (not on the 161).

Regards.

Auto correction can be a bitch.

But seriously though, there are issues with the cart designs as well. Sometimes the PCB is a hair longer than the official SNK MVS cart size where you may have to shave off a little of the plastic. Got to love mass production.

Yep. Read through this whole thread, because it documents all of the issues with the games on this cart.

You can always count on auto-correct to hit below the belt :)

Much appreciated for these thoughts. I have a 161 with PCBs that are indeed too wide, I have tried filing a bit but obviously did not go far enough. I am convinced to fix that now, I don't want to damage the motherboard over it.

I have added these games to my shopping/trading list now as well :) love the the SHMUPs and remember NAM from the arcades.

Cheers!

CMS

Previously A04_msh.

Regards.

..I'm also having sound issues on Strikers 1945 plus on my 161 cart.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Are you playing on a home system? I've got a Strikers boot that runs fine on mvs setups but has screwy sound when used with a converter on a home system. It starts out fine but messes up after a while.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Are you playing on a home system? I've got a Strikers boot that runs fine on mvs setups but has screwy sound when used with a converter on a home system. It starts out fine but messes up after a while.

That's the problem I'm having, it starts out fine and then after a while the volume goes really loud and screechy for a few seconds and then back to normal and repeats every 5 minutes or so. Yes, I'm playing it on my home system.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Mine just came in the mail today. Played around with a few games, and I noticed I'm having some major sound problems. Some instruments are missing or subdued, whereas others will sometimes randomly shout at me like a like car passing quickly in traffic.

Kizuna Encounter also gives me no sound.

SvC Chaos Plus crashed once on me, but it appears to be otherwise fine.

If I can get the sound issues squashed, I'll be a happy camper.

Quick question that is technical but pertains to the 161. I've noticed some slow-down in some of the games (Captain Tomaday for example) and I'm curious to know if this is potentially due to the data on the cart (or its hardware) as opposed to the motherboard. I know that some games (e.g., MS 2) are known for slow-down, but I've seen it on a few games on my 161 which makes me wonder if its something systemic.

Not having the original carts to compare to I can't tell.

Anyone have experience to share on this?

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Quick question that is technical but pertains to the 161. I've noticed some slow-down in some of the games (Captain Tomaday for example) and I'm curious to know if this is potentially due to the data on the cart (or its hardware) as opposed to the motherboard. I know that some games (e.g., MS 2) are known for slow-down, but I've seen it on a few games on my 161 which makes me wonder if its something systemic.

Not having the original carts to compare to I can't tell.

Anyone have experience to share on this?

its actually normal that neo geo games tend to slowdown sometimes. These games are mostly shoot em ups, viewpoint & shock troopers 2 are two other examples.
watch some youtube videos and compare, tough keep in mind youtube videos run at 35fps max and some people use emulators while recording.

Last edited:

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Mine just came in the mail today. Played around with a few games, and I noticed I'm having some major sound problems. Some instruments are missing or subdued, whereas others will sometimes randomly shout at me like a like car passing quickly in traffic.

Kizuna Encounter also gives me no sound.

SvC Chaos Plus crashed once on me, but it appears to be otherwise fine.

If I can get the sound issues squashed, I'll be a happy camper.

it happened to me also once that svc crashed but SvC chaos plus isnt an original game but a hack as it also runs faster than the original version. On what are you playing on? your sound issues sounds more like you play on a converter.

Kizuna Encounter should have sound, maybe you should play the game/cart for a long time so the cart heats up a bit.

its actually normal that neo geo games tend to slowdown sometimes. These games are mostly shoot em ups, viewpoint & shock troopers 2 are two other examples.
watch some youtube videos and compare, tough keep in mind youtube videos run at 35fps max and some people use emulators while recording.

Good idea. I was kind of wondering if it would go away on some games by buying original carts as opposed to using a multi-cart, but it shouldn't make a difference unless there are embedded processors and/or ram on legit carts that are missing in a multi-cart scenario...

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

I have an original Strikers cart and it works fine either on AES or MVS modes AFAIK. I've never tried it on the 161, since I use the original cart.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Can anyone compare the reliability/functionality between the 161-in-1 versus the 120-in-1?
I am tempted to go with 120 since it has a few key games missing from the 161, but if one is a clearly superior product I’ll just go with that. I mainly wonder if menus navigate the same, loading times are comparable, returning to menu by holding start, bugs etc. I’d be using it with a MV-1B or MV-1FZ, thanks in advance!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
it happened to me also once that svc crashed but SvC chaos plus isnt an original game but a hack as it also runs faster than the original version. On what are you playing on? your sound issues sounds more like you play on a converter.

Kizuna Encounter should have sound, maybe you should play the game/cart for a long time so the cart heats up a bit.

Its a true, blue 4-slot MVS board. No converters or additions.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I've had issues where sound wasn't working, but it was due to me not having the cart fully inserted. Maybe it has issues with the multi slot boards?

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
Can anyone compare the reliability/functionality between the 161-in-1 versus the 120-in-1?
I am tempted to go with 120 since it has a few key games missing from the 161, but if one is a clearly superior product I’ll just go with that. I mainly wonder if menus navigate the same, loading times are comparable, returning to menu by holding start, bugs etc. I’d be using it with a MV-1B or MV-1FZ, thanks in advance!

The reliability & functionality are the same. The only difference is the 161 cart is really thick. It fits in a stock mobo, but you have to wiggle it out.

I'd lean towards the 120 as well. I think the game list is better and it is cheaper to boot.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
The reliability & functionality are the same. The only difference is the 161 cart is really thick. It fits in a stock mobo, but you have to wiggle it out.

I'd lean towards the 120 as well. I think the game list is better and it is cheaper to boot.

the 120 n 1 is just as thick, I had to file down the edges on that one as well. My biggest gripe with both carts is why the hell can the not put things in alphabetical order? the 161 is a bit more organized with the KOF and Metal slug games in order, but the 120 in 1 is completely randomly organized. Really wish someone could figure out how to remove all the hacks and put the games in order.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input (despite the info on the thickness of the edge being uncertain). I’m not too worried, because I will be leaving it one of my 1slots, and then use a different 1 slot for regular legit carts, that’s the plan anyway.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
chem, 100proof brought over his 120 so I could see. I didn't get to try too much, but at least aero fighters 3 was working properly as opposed to the turd on the 161. Another thing I really liked about the 120 is that it had a random pick game. dunno why I but I just really liked that idea/feature.