161-in-1 Game Breakdown

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I'd definitely be interested in a 161-in-1 review.

I just picked up (Craigslist) an arcade unit (conversion 1-slot arcade machine) with Bust-A-Move Again, Blazing Star, and Neo Turf Masters. They are great, and now, I really want to try out more of the MVS library before I hunt down the original games.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I'd definitely be interested in a 161-in-1 review.

The plane with my cart from HK landed in New York on Saturday, so I should have it pretty soon. Once I do I'll post the exact turnaround time from purchase to delivery. Once I get my MVS converter back from DavidG, which is already on the way, I'll check out the cart and post some impressions and a video.

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
The plane with my cart from HK landed in New York on Saturday, so I should have it pretty soon. Once I do I'll post the exact turnaround time from purchase to delivery. Once I get my MVS converter back from DavidG, which is already on the way, I'll check out the cart and post some impressions and a video.

Cool, can't wait!

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Cool, can't wait!

I ordered the cart Saturday, March 19th @ 8am, and got it today, March 28th. Not bad for getting something from China.

These are pics they sent me on the 20th when they shipped it (minus the one of the shipping label with my address on it lol):

dsc09419.jpg

dsc09420i.jpg

As you can probably tell, it came well packed, completely surrounded in bubble wrap and styrofoam. Every inch of the box was coated in packing tape. I'm pretty sure customs didn't bother to open it.

If anybody's concerned about them not listing their address on the site, it's:

Excellent Com LTD
Unit 706
Hung To Centre
94-96 How Wing St
Kwun Tong, Kowloon
Hong Kong

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask them if they've seen Lan Di. :buttrock:

I'd say that the deal couldn't have gone any better. I would definitely recommend Excellentcom.net .....now once my converter gets back here, I can test it out for sure, and move on to the fun stuff!

Last edited:

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Comes out to $131.97 shipped for me with them. Thinking maybe I'll wait around for a while and (hopefully) the price will come down a bit somewhere.

This'd mostly be for the nephews to play on, and me to simply brush up on what actual official kits I'd want to snag in the future.

Very nice shipping it looks like. Thanks for the pics!

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Comes out to $131.97 shipped for me with them. Thinking maybe I'll wait around for a while and (hopefully) the price will come down a bit somewhere.

This'd mostly be for the nephews to play on, and me to simply brush up on what actual official kits I'd want to snag in the future.

Very nice shipping it looks like. Thanks for the pics!

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what shipping cost me too. The multicarts always seem to run around $105 so hopefully somebody domestic-er will have some at some point. It was worth it to me to decide what official carts I won't need to snag in the future. ;)

My converter is back in teh USA so hopefully it'll be here soons.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Doesn't ultimately matter that much but, shame they are still using the ugly yellow cases.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Doesn't ultimately matter that much but, shame they are still using the ugly yellow cases.

I dunno.... I think the banana yellow has a certain charm. It says to me, "I'm not official, and I'm not pretending to be". :mr_t:

(but yes, it's awful)

Last edited:

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So if I read this all correctly none of those multicarts work on a 2 slot consolized MVS without the sub pcb or?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
So if I read this all correctly none of those multicarts work on a 2 slot consolized MVS without the sub pcb or?

I haven't reread the thread lately, but I thought it was fine as long as you took the game out of the other slot. What about the sub pcb again? That's only on the 130something-in-1. What there something different about that one regarding functionality in multislot boards?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The 138-in-1 requires a JAMMA harness to switch games. If you're playing on a multislot you would need two adapters. One to switch the mvs pinout into JAMMA to incorporate the harness, and another to switch JAMMA pinout back to mvs so it would function on a multislot cab without blowing out your speakers.

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Ok understood, so the 161-1 is playable on my 2 slot MVS right? Only thing I have to do is put only the multicart in the slot and keep the other slot free? I really want to buy one of these.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member

I'm glad somebody knew, cos I was turning the forum upside down, shaking all the info out of its pockets looking for the answer to that one.

BTW I'm told that my converter was delivered to my hayoos today. Can't wait to get home.

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
You read my thoughts, I really felt like asking something friggin' stupid. Also being a newbie it felt pretty heavy to ask these questions.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
You read my thoughts, I really felt like asking something friggin' stupid. Also being a newbie it felt pretty heavy to ask these questions.

At least the collectors didn't show up, crying like multicart sales are used to fund terrorism.

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I collect everything, I hate being prejudice in that. All is welcome...

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I got my converter back and played the 161-in-1 cart some last night, and it's pretty awesome. I'm gonna post more impressions once I've had more time to mess with it, and a video if somebody still wants, but the menu is the same as the 150 cart. To save time, for now, I'm posting what I wrote in the Pranslation thread below:

Hey all,

I got my modded converter back from David yesterday and it works AWESOME. So glad to have sound out of both speakers.

I didn't have a whole lot of time to try stuff out yesterday, but I fired up my 161-in-1 cart and played

Last Blade 2
Captain Tomaday
Kizuna Encounter
Magical Drop 3
Bust A Move
KOF 2003
SNK Vs Capcom Plus (boss hack)
(alas, I forgot to try Super Dodge Ball)

Using the original debug bios, I was able to switch region and Home/MVS options with no probs. The option to hold start on the 1p controller to go back to the menu doesn't work, but it doesn't seem to work with any converter from what I've been reading, so no biggie. I have to get up and turn the Neo off and back on every time I wanna change games, just like our forefathers intended. At least I won't be one of those people complaining about how the multicart is "too convenient" (whatever that means) cos "it's so easy to switch games that you don't fully appreciate them". I assure you, I'm gonna fully appreciate the crap out of something before I get my lazy ass up off the couch. I find myself "fully appreciating" my cup of cold coffee quite often.

So yeah, David did a great job. Despite the occasional naysayer, he did exactly what he claimed to be able to do (and kept up great communication with me, sending and answering multiple PMs a day when there was something to talk about). I have a feeling he will continue to do things previously thought impossible for a long time to come. He's a great new member of the community.

(TL;DR version, "DavidG's the fuckin' man, yo!")

The only problem I have is that now all my games play in Canadian.

Damn you David!!! ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :very_ang:

I did notice that there's a cursor on the game select screen to choose your game, cos IIRC, somebody in a youtube review was complaining that the 150 didn't have one.

Last edited:

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Cool, can't wait for more details!

One question I've had...and I've seen it touched on a few times (but I'm still not sure what the answer is):

Can you "hide" the hacked titles off of the game menus? That is, could you hide all of the stupid hacks and just keep the legit games on the choice menus?

aria

Former Moderator
Interesting stuff --the picks of the shipped goods is nice to see.

I wish someone would make a hack called Legend of Success Joe: Championship Edition

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Cool, can't wait for more details!

One question I've had...and I've seen it touched on a few times (but I'm still not sure what the answer is):

Can you "hide" the hacked titles off of the game menus? That is, could you hide all of the stupid hacks and just keep the legit games on the choice menus?

You cannot. Only the 120 and 138 have that function, and those are the ones with the "sub pcb" that has a jamma connector on it.

All the banana yellow carts have a fixed menu. Hell, I was surprised that it let me hit "up" on the 1st game on the list to let me jump to the bottom of the list. I thought I was gonna have to scroll all the way to the bottom to play MD3.

Unfortunately, you can't just hold down on the joystick to get it to speed scroll. You have to do down, down, down.

Interesting stuff --the pics of the shipped goods is nice to see.

I wish someone would make a hack called Legend of Success Joe: Championship Edition

Yeah, the pics tickled me for some reason. So weirdly awesome.

I still haven't played LoSJ, but I will tonight!!

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Thanks, those other two carts must've been the reason why I read you could...and why I've seen you couldn't.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Unfortunately, you can't just hold down on the joystick to get it to speed scroll. You have to do down, down, down.

Well, you can also go left to right and flip by pages of games instead of scrolling to make it quicker.