Neo Geo AES RGB SCART Ghosting Issue

Duddyroar

n00b
I'm not a regular poster here so forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I have a rather odd issue with the RGB output of my Neo Geo AES.

When I run the machine through RGB SCART on my Samsung LCD TV, there's an odd 'ghosting' effect, usually when dark objects or sprites move across a brighter patch of the screen.

I've recorded some video on my phone to illustrate what I mean:

Those strange rolling horizontal lines you see are what I'm talking about, but they manifest themselves in other ways, too - such as large blobs of black ghosting across lighter parts of the screen.

At first I assumed it was my machine's RGB connection, as my AES has a high serial number. So I duly sent it off for a mod at Console Passion and the machine arrived back today. The RGB picture is loads better but the ghosting remains.

When I try plugging the SCART cable into my TV's composite socket, the ghosting doesn't appear - but obviously the picture quality is awful.

At the moment I'm hoping it's a problem with the SCART cable I have - I purchased it from Retro Gaming Cables and the guy who runs the store really knows his stuff, but perhaps I just got a dodgy cable? Or maybe my machine is to blame? Or my TV?

In an effort to find if the cable is to blame I've been looking around for substitutes, and was surprised to see a lot of people saying online that the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive RGB cable is the same as the AES one. However, having checking them both, I can see that the Sega one has a 'U' shaped arrangement while the AES one has a more circular setup, as shown below:

din8rh2.jpg

One of the posters heresays that it's possible to force the Genesis plug into the AES - is that really wise?

Anyone else experience this ghosting issue?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Forcing a megadrive plug into an AES socket can damage the socket itself. They sell the Neo ones on ebay.

The ghosting could be from the TV itself as the Neo's sync rate isn't perfect so some TVs show waves going up the screen. Try it on a different TV to rule that out. If it still exists then it's most likely your Neo itself.

Duddyroar

n00b
I tried the machine on two different TVs tonight and the results point to it being an issue with my LCD television (which is a 32" Samsung, for the record).

I tried the machine on a 14" CRT set and the picture came through perfect, with excellent brightness and perfect colour. I then tried it on my in-law's LG LCD TV and again it came through perfect.

I can therefore only assume that it's some kind of sync issue with my particular TV set.

I'm considering going the consolised MVS route, but I'm guessing that I'll have the exact same issue if I get a machine that has been modded to output an RGB SCART signal?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm considering going the consolised MVS route, but I'm guessing that I'll have the exact same issue if I get a machine that has been modded to output an RGB SCART signal?

I don't have problems with my AEs but I too have gone the CMVS route some of the more expensice titles that I will never get on the NGH... Blazing Star, Metal Slug etc

Anyway, if you are having problems with your Home system then you will probably ave issues with a CMVS, unless you are using a CRT. I have 3 different LCD/Plasma TVs, (Sony, Samsung and a Panasonic) The Sony and Samsung get not picture at all and the Panasonic has a rolling picture.

I have now tried 2 different CMVS units and numerous different combinations of pots and resistors on the RGB and Sync lines - still nothing better. I have now given in and bought a NeoBitz from JMKurtz... hopefully that will fair a little better. Should be here by the weekend.:buttrock:

Just wanted you to be aware that you may have more issues with a CMVS unit. But still it is good fun and if anything my soldering skills are getting alot better.

Duddyroar

n00b
Thanks for the advice. I'm tempted to just stick with the AES and endure a crappy composite signal until I eventually replace my current LCD TV.

Just out of interest (and because I'm new to all this), what is a NeoBitz and would it help me in my situation?

Also, do you think a SCART to HDMI converter would make any difference? They retail for about £50 a Maplins and I'm tempting to try one out.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
The NeoBitz...

http://neobitz.com/

It cost me $100 delivered. You will need to do a bit soldering.
So it will take your RGB output from your Neo and convert it into Component, S-Video or Composite RCA. So being able to output Component will look a ton better than Composite, so definitely worth a look. I am building an external box to hold it in with all the input/output connector on it as I don't want to hack my MVS case around anymore. I will update you when mine arrives.

As for the HDMI cabel, I bought a Synbalster cable from Maplins for £60 and it was shit.

http://www.syncblaster.com/syncblaster_cables.html

I got no output on any of the TVs, so it went straight back. It may work with the Home System though as that is already desinged to output to a TV. I would steer clear of converting it to HDMI if I was you, I am sure you will get a slight delay on what is displayed to what you are inputting on the controller.

Someone else may be able to elaborate better on that one for you...

Duddyroar

n00b
Thanks again for the info. TBH I'm inclined to just put up with the muddy compo-shite picture for the time being. What annoys me most is that I know I can get a better picture out of this machine, it's just my current LCD telly that is the problem.

I'll also steer clear of those RGB > HDMI boxes too, then.