Real Bout 2 worth the buy?

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
BIGDEADFREAK BUMPED IT...
so now, I may as well chip in too - even if it is redundant now.

I pretty much agree with what these guys said:

RB2 is the best of the three in gameplay. Research some match videos for proof of why i am saying this. I love RBFF, but I can no longer deny the fact RB2 is the best of the three.

I'v got both RBFF anf RBFF2, the last installment is truly awesome for Vs. fighting though I prefer the first game for single player fun. The music used inbetween stange selection and the round is purely awesome.

point, RBFF2 is worth buying.

RB2 is the best of the Real Bouts, and I say that as someone who loves all three. It will take a little while to grow on you, though. But you play it for a while and you will understand.

If I had to choose one of the three games to call redundant, it would be RBS.

I THINK THAT WHILST...
*gulp* RB1 is actually my firm favourite of the 3, RB2 is, in fact, the best game in the series - and I'm mainly talking about the gameplay here. Like Southtown Kid said, RBS is somehow stuck in the middle of these two for me - thus, imo, being a little redundant. Not completely of course, because it most probably has the best presentation > RB1 & RB2. But, I just prefer the gameplay in the aforementioned two. RB2's gameplay, to be honest, is just unbelievable. It's super fast-paced and flows beautifully. A majority might not be a fan of the no nonsense approach to the match/round transitions, but all this adds to the intensity of the game for me.

I think, the ruling for this series could well be:

Own all 3
Own RB1 & RB2
Own just RBS

This may sound hypocritical, but I think RBS is the best choice for someone who just wants 'a Real Bout' in the collection > the FF3 legacy style of RB1 and the less stylish, content filled god-like gameplay (and speed!) in RB2.

all said and done though, RB2 is the best game out of all 3 imo :)

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Why not own all three? For Neo games all three are quite affordable.

RBS is amazing, one of the most polished and well put together games SNK ever made. But I think I still prefer RBFF the most, it's the most fun to play. RB2 is the worst IMO. But I'm not playing these competitively.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
For my opinion, RB2 is great of three RB. Graphic, movement and control are suitable for me. If you like Garou, RB2 must have in your collection :)

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Yep, I agree that it's worth getting to add to your collection. I found that the movement is smoother than RB, so it's easier to pull off combos. So yeah, kinda runs like RBS with 2 extra characters.

My friend and I would play RB2 competitively when SF3 was occupied at the arcade. Great fun back in the day.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Man, I’d completely forgotten about this thread. I’ve since bought a RB2 MVS kit, and have really enjoyed it. I still stand by my opinion on RB2’s lack of real presentation compared to the rest of the series, but the gameplay is like butter.

I still think the changes to Geese were wholly unnecessary though. I know Geese was easily exploited in RBS, but neutering him of half his movelist is just absurd. It’s even worse when you consider how several other characters, namely Billy, are still monsters while Geese’s whole game is reduced to karas and mindgames.

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
Own all three, and to be honest I play the first Real Bout the most just because this was the one that was in the arcades in Boston when they used to exist. RB2 is great, though. Really liked using Tung Fu Rue in that one.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
RB2 is one of my favorite games on neogeo :) the other 2 RB games are probably better if you are playing alone but like others say, RB2 is the best fighting game where it counts.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
real bout 2 is the best of all 3. it lacks the story and cool intros n shit but the gameplay is spectacular. also the addition of alfred....it will take a certain degree of mastery of the game to reach him...but well worth it when you get there.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
RB2 is an awesome game. It will always be in my collection.