Multi-ROMSET (AES) cart thread - now starting with BIG news

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Ok, so I have a BIG update in this story.

This comes with one of those big discovery you feel stupid to stumble upon, since you had it just before your very eyes for so long yet you never ever noticed.

Fact is, when NEOGEO first came out in Japan on 4 April 1990, AES games were NOT boxed with carton cases, as previously assumed, but with classic plastic ones.

How can I tell? Well, if you just run an easy check yourself, be it on the real things or on with Internet scan/pics, you'll find the simple yet final evidence: on the spine of the very first five NEOGEO titles, JPN AES plastic version, you can spot such a writing just under the NEOGEO logo:

超ド級レンタルゲーム『ネオジオ』

Which is: Choudokyuu RENTAL GAME 'NEOGEO'

So basically that's true for NAM-75, Majaan Kyouretsuden, Magician Lord, Baseball Stars Professional and Top Players Golf -just those five, plastic box ONLY.

The carton box version of the very same games do NOT sports the 'rental' bit anymore. And most noticeably, both Magician Lord and Majaan Kyoretsuden at least also got a later plastic box reprint with an updated insert also cleaned of the 'rental' thing. I'm still trying and see if an updated plastic version of the other three also exists,

So yes, 'carton boxes' are NOT the original NEOGEO AES cart packaging. And, at this point, how did things really went during the very first two years of the NEOGEO?

Needless to say, I went deeper and searched for more information. The result is, once again, plain and simple. I'll try to sum up the story for you all.

1) NEOGEO, both MVS and AES, debuted on the JPN market on 4 April 1990. AES was supposed to be a rental *only* system. AES carts were priced just as the MVS carts, and had same release date as well. Out of the five launch titles, just Top Players Golf didn't make in time and was delayed about a month for some reason, yet still counting as a 'launch title' on official flyers, etc. Fromt his very beginning, AES games were released with regular plastic boxes, with the 'RENTAL' line printed on their (insert) the spine.

2) Soon enough, SNK realized hard core gamers were actually (crazy enough to go on) buying AES stuff even if it was aimed (and priced!) for rental operators. As a result, SNK quickly got rid of the 'rental' label on AES games. Nothing changed though: AES and MVS carts maintained same prices and same release dates.

3) SNK released a total of 11 titles in 1990. The AES system was still officially marketed for rental, yet actually both rented and bought by gamers. Up to this date, the NEOGEO box was 'white and green striped', coded as NEO-0. Some unit also made it in Europe though SNK European arcade distributors, to be supposedly rented.

4) By the end of 1990, the NEOGEO AES was officially distributed in the US. Games were all plastic boxed. Console was 'white and red striped', coded as NEO-AEC. Rather then rental, the system was a pushed for consumer sale.

5) In 1991, SNK halted the release of AES titles. They were preparing the Japanese re-launch of the system for consumer sale.

6) On 1 July 1991, the NEOGEO AES was re-launched in Japan. Priced was reduced for both system and games, rental business was officially terminated and the system was now marketed as a 'normal' consumer home videogame console. On the very same day, all the previously released 11 games were re-released as well with 'new' carton box package, supposedly used to distinguish the new and old stock carts (which were differently priced). Six new games were also introduced: Minasan no Okagesama Desu!, ASOII, Sengoku Denshou, King of the Monsters, Raguy, Ghost Pilots. Since this date, AES releases were also delayed from the MVS ones.

7) On 9 August SNK released the first game since the NEOGEO re-launch: Burning Fight. It was market with plastic box since its debut, meaning SNK had given up carton boxes already. Basically, carton boxes existed only for the NEOGEO AES Japanese re-launch on 1 July 1991. Out of the six new titles launched on that day, only Minasan no Okagesama Desu! got a plastic re-print, while the other five had been so over-produced never got any reprint, thus existing in their original carton box format only.

And that's it.

Now, coming to the much debated (?) issue of the 'multi-ROMSET carts', things become much more logical and intelligible.

ROMSET1, the original one, is supposedly to be found in JPN and US plastic boxes. On the contrary, carton boxes reprint for the first 11 titles should have the revised ROMSET2, just as any further plastic re-re-release, be it JPN or US. The carton-box-only games may have their original ROMSET1, eventually updated to the later ROMSET2 revision.

What follows is the updated breakdown list of the actually verified copies from this thread, which now appears to be outdated by the new discovery.

Please keep coming any new entry for any game we can certify multiple ROMSETs for! :)

Hope you enjoyed to read the real story. It's amazing how things are still foggy about the birth of the NEOGEO, and how misconceptions are still around.

ROMSET1: AES mode has instant re-spawn, 2-2 energy bars
ROMSET2: AES mode has set re-spawn points, narrative intro, 3+3 energy bars
(note: I wonder if the two romsets also differs in arcade mode, were the differences may also occur according to dipswitch settings)
(xiao_haozi has a ROMSET2 US cart)
(holyver has ROMSET2 US cart)
(SNKforSWM has a ROMSET2 US cart)
(SuperDealLite has a ROMSET2 JPN-plastic cart)
(Micheal_Yagami has both US and JPN-plastic ROMSET1 version)
(bcfczulu has a ROMSET2 US cart)
(alphagamer has a ROMSET1 US cart)
(doctor_shred has a ROMSET1 US cart)
(sammybean has a ROMSET1 US cart)

Ninja Combat
ROMSET1: AES mode has no difficulty selection
ROMSET2: AES mode has difficulty selection???
(note: TBC, Metallizer has a JPN carton box with ROMSET1)

NAM-1975?
Different number of continues is AES mode???
(TBC)

Raguy
ROMSET1: AES mode has no difficulty selection, unlimited credits
ROMSET2: AES mode has difficulty selection
(note: this is a JPN carton box only game)
(SuperDeadite has a JPN-AES [carton] with ROMSET1)

King of the Monsters
ROMSET1: AES mode has no difficulty selection?
ROMSET2: AES mode has difficulty selection

Sengoku Denshou
ROMSET1: AES mode has no difficulty selection, no credit counter
ROMSET2: AES mode has difficulty selection (easy, normal, hard, mvs)
(Metallizer has a JPN carton box with ROMSET1)
(SuperDeadite has a JPN-AES [carton] with ROMSET1)

Ghost Pilots
ROMSET1: AES mode has 10 credits per player per side?
ROMSET2: AES mode has 4 credits per player per side?

Burning Fight
ROMSET1: AES mode has no difficulty selection
ROMSET2: AES mode has difficulty selection (easy, normal, hard, mvs)
(note: this is a JPN plastic box only game, no rental version was ever produce by SNK. Metallizer has a JPN plastic box with ROMSET1)

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
when i read the title, i thought this was going to be about some sort of flash cart.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Really interesting thread to read. Great work.

I am now going have to check my carton/classic boxes later tonight to see what versions I have.

Is any of this info going to be put put formally onto this site somewhere, perhaps in the Wiki.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
I have Magician Lord JPN Plastic Rental Version.
The cart is "Rom Set 2" Checkpoints and 3+3 lifebar.

So in that case, maybe the later rereleased version was made
from left over MVS chips?

Also the last page of the manual says the cart is for
the "Neo Geo Rental System".

BUT the manual's screenshots clearly shows a 4+4 lifebar.
And the instructions says it should be 4+4 and describes how
it works.

I'm confused now.

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I have Magician Lord JPN Plastic Rental Version.
The cart is "Rom Set 2" Checkpoints and 3+3 lifebar.

So in that case, maybe the later rereleased version was made
from left over MVS chips?

Also the last page of the manual says the cart is for
the "Neo Geo Rental System".

BUT the manual's screenshots clearly shows a 4+4 lifebar.
And the instructions says it should be 4+4 and describes how
it works.

I'm confused now.

Mmmh, when you say 'plastic rental version' you mean you see the 'rental' writing on the spine? :)

I'm surprised to hear about a 4-4 stock lifebar. Isn't just 2+2?

Neverless, you point out a JPN plastic version which is packed with 'first version' paper materials (insert, manual) and 'second version' game (ROMSET2).

I guess SNK used to reprint paper materials just when they actually ran out of stock. To my knowledge, Magician Lord manual has never been updated, nor for the carton box release, nor for the 'corrected insert' plastic box re-release. It's quite possible when they switched back to plastic box for production runs after the carton box short lifespan, they first finished depleting the remaining stock of 'old' inserts (the 'rental') ones, and then eventually, just eventually, re-printed some of those, getting rid of the 'rental' label.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
Pics of my copy. NeoGeo is stock, no mods.

HI3F0060-1.jpg

HI3F0056-6.jpg

HI3F0057-5.jpg

HI3F0058-2.jpg

HI3F0059-1.jpg

I think the 4+4 that's pictured and described in the text is a mistake. But it makes me think that the original homecart versions were in fact 3+3, and the 2+2 versions came later. Would be nice to hear from other game owners, is my copy normal or mismatched?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I've never noticed that on the spine, obviously never had any 1st print games in my collection before.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
This is exactly one of the thing you have under your nose and never notice :)

Reading the neo-story around I've always asked myself why games such as Crossed Sword would have no carton box at all, while games like joyjoy and Nam would have both carton box and plastic box and then ASOII or KotM only carton box.

Would be nice to have some numbers on those releases. Like how many rental Magicina Lord were printed and so on.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Jesus.
Nice work Shito.
It's amazing too see what can still be un-earthed in regards to the Neo geo, even today.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Very interesting post

I would like comment the 3)
I could not speak for Europe but In france it's very difficult to rent video game
So in france, the console and the game was sold for the big majority (in the fact some shop propose to rent for some days)
Often gamer buy the game and sold him some weeks or month after for buy an other, you have like an turn over

you have publicity for buy the console in middle of the 90s in video game magazine

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Interesting stuff Shito, thanks for posting

I have these games:

NAM-1975 (carton box)
King of the Monsters
Sengoku Densho
Ghost Pilots
Burning Fight

Will look into what romsets I have and post here.

Also, is there any info on Cyber Lip? I have a carton box for that too and wil provide any info for that game. I believe there was a plastic box release for that too.

And how about ASO2? I have a jpn carton, but that never got a jpn plastic box release, right?

I moved recently and most games are at my family's house, but will post details as soon as I get them.

Last edited: