Gun Lord - Another new game by NG:DEV Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
The USB used to be on the inside, on the side on my Fast Striker 1.0. Sounds like that has changed to the top. Not only do you have to open it, but you have to have the boards in the system with it turned on during the update in order to power the chips.

They are new boards, about half the height of an SNK board or their original board (LHPB, FS) for that matter. So now the usb is on the opposite side and on the top.

They suggest you remove the boards from the cart shell and insert them individually into the MVS.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
mine came in yesterday..as people mentioned i was a little surprised that there is no external usb connection...therefore i havent messed with updating it to 1.1 yet as i really dont feel like opening it up.

in any case its a great game. A real treat especially if you like the Turrican games on the C64/Amiga

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
Is it too early to start a game play thread? don't want to spill the beans or anything, I am trying to find the level cheat but I am not that good. I guess more people need to receive their game to start finding cheats and such.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wouldn't it be funny if the level select cheat is unlocked by first finishing the game twice, like in Super Mario Land. XD

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
the tougher and weirder the better! the joke would be that the Contra cheat actually works here! will try...

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
mine came in yesterday..as people mentioned i was a little surprised that there is no external usb connection...therefore i havent messed with updating it to 1.1 yet as i really dont feel like opening it up.

in any case its a great game. A real treat especially if you like the Turrican games on the C64/Amiga

The 1.1 patch is the real game. It's 10 times better than 1.0 - many game balance issues are fixed as well as minor and major bugs and the bosses are all reworked to be increasingly challenging (the final boss on 1.1 is a magnificent fight). Updating the cart is really easy to do and only takes about 10 minutes. Just pop the screws out and open the cart shell just enough to slide the boards out (keep in mind their orientation when you do since you need to insert them in the slot the same way).

Ghegs

n00b
They suggest you remove the boards from the cart shell and insert them individually into the MVS.

I'm kind of surprised at this. I just opened the cart, put it into the CMVS, inserted the usb and did the update without a problem. The boards never left the cart and the label was completely unharmed, it was mostly resting in a ~45 degree angle when the cable was in there. Looking at the label there's no sign of it ever being bent or messed around with, it's not some cheap paper or anything.

Macaw

n00b
Same here, I didn't bother taking the pcb out of the shell.

People not updating really need to get on that, the boss battles practically don't exist without the patch.

gegrago

Mr. Big's Thug
I feel this will turn into one of those stupid things of "rev 1.0, never opened!" kind of thing. Although Rev1.1 could take some improvements, it is really THE game.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Same here, I didn't bother taking the pcb out of the shell.

Yeah, but I'm sure most people won't want to take a chance with the label by opening up the case that much. I literally opened the case maybe 15 degrees. Just enough to slide the boards out. If it was a $50 game I might not be so careful but when you drop close to $600, that changes things. I hope I don't have to do that again.

NG: DEV - Make it more accessible next time, please!

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Yeah, but I'm sure most people won't want to take a chance with the label by opening up the case that much. I literally opened the case maybe 15 degrees. Just enough to slide the boards out. If it was a $50 game I might not be so careful but when you drop close to $600, that changes things. I hope I don't have to do that again.

NG: DEV - Make it more accessible next time, please!

Well as it is now you'd need a very short mini USB extension to a mini USB port mounted in the cart shell, which would stress the connector on the board and the clearance would be questionable. To do it right you'd need to run a small ribbon cable directly from the board to the mini USB port. That would require a modification to the board hardware and new MVS shells (new molds = expensive) or a modification to every shell (huge pain in the ass to do). Maybe if it was designed like that to begin with it would have been a nice thing to have, but at this point I don't think it's really worth doing. It's not like this is a multiplayer comm port that would get used all the time. You're only likely to use the port once during the life of the cart. Also adding an external port would require a port cover flap on it to keep it from getting dirty in an arcade environment. It would be a lot of expense to add something that wouldn't get a lot of use and there's really no need. It works fine the way it is. MVS carts are already designed to be easily openable for maintenance.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I need to have it plugged into my MVS and my computer to do this update?
Welp. Looks like I'm playing 1.0

My 4 slot is not liking this game very well. Works if you select it right away, but if you cycle through the games it causes the system to reboot when it lands on GunLord.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I need to have it plugged into my MVS and my computer to do this update?
Welp. Looks like I'm playing 1.0

My 4 slot is not liking this game very well. Works if you select it right away, but if you cycle through the games it causes the system to reboot when it lands on GunLord.

I found I can get it to work reliably depending on what slot I have it in and on what other games are in the other slots. Some games will boot up first regardless of what slot they are in and NGDEV carts don't seem to play nicely with those. I found that in my 6 slot, if I have Windjammers in slot 1 I can put any NGDEV game in slot 2 and it works flawlessly, provided that the board boots to Windjammers first and not to a game in slots 3-6 that forces itself to be first in the queue.

I highly suggest upgrading your cart. The boss fights just aren't fun in 1.0. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be glad to help you update your cart. Maybe someone local to you can help. All you need though is a laptop with a 32 bit version of Windows and the right USB cable.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Yeah, I do have windjammers in there.

I actually broke down and tried to update. no luck. Gonna wait to hear back from ngdev and maybe try again. It's kinda of a pain booting and reaching the dips on a dedicated 4 slot.

edit: ahh, now I have the cross hatch of death. I'm sure it's unrelated to Gunlord, but I had no hint of issues before i had to meddle with this game. As soon as I got 1.1 to load(from my 4th laptop, yeah i have 4 laptops...), i rebooted and get nothing but crosshatch. Fuuuuui!

Last edited:

pipes

ahh, now I have the cross hatch of death. I'm sure it's unrelated to Gunlord, but I had no hint of issues before i had to meddle with this game. As soon as I got 1.1 to load(from my 4th laptop, yeah i have 4 laptops...), i rebooted and get nothing but crosshatch. Fuuuuui!

So you're saying you successfully installed the update but now the game doesn't work at all? Did you contact NG: DEV about it? Hope you get that sorted out.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
, now I have the cross hatch of death. I'm sure it's unrelated to Gunlord, but I had no hint of issues before i had to meddle with this game. As soon as I got 1.1 to load(from my 4th laptop, yeah i have 4 laptops...), i rebooted and get nothing but crosshatch. Fuuuuui!

It passed the flash rom test at the end? Did you turn hard dip 1 off after the rom test?

pipes

It passed the flash rom test at the end? Did you turn hard dip 1 off after the rom test?

That's a good question. If you followed the instructions, I don't see how you could screw it up.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
That's a good question. If you followed the instructions, I don't see how you could screw it up.

i finally got the update to stick after using 4 laptops. drivers installed fine every time.

I think the game is fine. my 4 slot is posting cross hatch. If you dont know what that means, then forget about it. I think the dip switch broke in the process, so it permanently stuck to test.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Im having problems too. I havent done the upgrade yet, need to get the right usb cable.

Im not able to insert a credit, i can skip through the intro but that is it. Also the unibios screens are all screwed up so im not able to try different settings in there either. Im using an analogue interactive cmvs and the joystick from them too.

pipes

NeoSneth : your previous posts made it sound like you were really unsure about the whole process so I figured you had done something wrong. Apparently you have other issues to deal with.

Ghegs

n00b
Im having problems too. I havent done the upgrade yet, need to get the right usb cable.

Im not able to insert a credit, i can skip through the intro but that is it. Also the unibios screens are all screwed up so im not able to try different settings in there either. Im using an analogue interactive cmvs and the joystick from them too.

Activate freeplay via dip switches, I have to use it for all of NG Dev's games.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Ok, got it working but had to put the cmvs in to Aes mode. Has anyone had to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.