Gun Lord - Another new game by NG:DEV Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They probably do need a small test group. You often take things for granted when you work on something for so long. Little gripes can add up.

I don't think any of the comments are major bugs. They seem more like conveniences...

Tho I do wish there was a save feature.

aria

Former Moderator
BTW, tip for people who are annoyed by our forum software's habit of putting a :D in NG:DEV.TEAM but want to keep the name looking perfect (so no spaces), I suggest throwing in an open/closed code in between the offending characters, e.g. like the italics code so you then get NG:DEV.TEAM --you could also disable the smilies in the text as one of the checkable options next to "show your signature", but this lets you have your cake and eat it too :D

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
Just a quick heads up:

We are working on a 1.1 update.

Details will follow the next week.

For the record, we have dedicated beta testers, but stuff like those arrows are easy overseen if you know the game and can run through it. After working a year on a title a blindness for those small details can set in.
But we certainly need to find more suitable testers...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just a quick heads up:

We are working on a 1.1 update.

Details will follow the next week.

For the record, we have dedicated beta testers, but stuff like those arrows are easy overseen if you know the game and can run through it. After working a year on a title a blindness for those small details can set in.
But we certainly need to find more suitable testers...

That's good to hear. What is the difference between game modes?

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Interesting information from everyone, I admit I'm wavering a little bit on committing to a home cart if that means I'm paying hundreds of dollars to be a beta tester.

Actually considering the homecart release we should be pretty safe as I suppose when this finally comes out in the end of June all patches should have been applied allready. So the homecart version should be a kind of a final version by then I hope. :)

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
That's good to hear. What is the difference between game modes?

Normal mode is designed for a more casual/good feel experience. It's ideal for collectors and for people who want a mild challenge. Our past games were to hard to our main market.

Arcade mode:

Is for core gamers. While we don't consider Gunlord an arcade game, this mode comes more close to it.

Instead of the for this sub-genre typical boatloads of 1ups you only get time ups and there is a mild time limit. To get 1ups you need to collect all big diamonds in a stage.
1CCing it is way more rewarding and challenging than normal mode.

Regarding the size of the game, it's not as long as people think. As soon as you know the stages you can blast through the game in 25-30 minutes!
If you want to see the perfect ending, have a high completion rate or have a descent score, you will need to spend 40-50 minutes though.

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
I disagree with you on the C button weapon. I feel it is balanced for two reasons. First, while it does have a good range on it, you can only use it while standing motionless. This leaves you exposed to enemies and projectiles while also preventing it from being an effective choice in areas where you need to keep moving due to the terrain (like falling platforms, moving barriers or obstacles, etc..). Also, while it is powerful, the beam is also very narrow and it takes time to direct it properly, especially if the enemy is in motion. Also, if you're playing in arcade (timed) mode, standing still to use the beam also uses up time. If you can clear enemies just as easily with the regular weapon while in motion, it is always a better choice than using the C beam. I found I was only using the C beam in a few specific situations where it was a strategic advantage, and was using the regular weapon the rest of the time. You can fire the regular weapons diagonally while running, and they cover a large area, especially when you have bounce on. Don't forget you can also fire bombs when in ball mode, which can be useful in some situations.

I didn't find the auto-centering to be much of an issue either, but I completely agree with you on all other points, and I also noticed that left pointing Exit arrows had inverted text.

Sounds like you've played it a lot more than me. I'll try mixing things up a little. It's clear from the videos that the game can be played at quite a pace. (25-30 minutes! :o ). I still think the C weapon could be toned down a little though. If you take original mode at a slow pace, swinging the laser around you can kill almost everything before it gets close. You can kill the first boss standing still! I don't think it should cancel so many bullets either. You make a good point that you can't get away with doing that in arcade mode forever though.

The auto-centring is something I don't notice any more but it annoyed me at first. It seems to happen too quickly. Sometimes first impressions are where you find the little annoyances. I struggled with the controls a bit at first too. You're right about the "how to play".

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
we don't consider Gunlord an arcade game
I agree completely. It's more of an old school Turrican/Metroid blaster with lots to explore. I am enjoying it. If I'm being overly critical it's because I'm not an MVS collector and it's cost me 400 Euros when I'm broke :D It's a very good effort considering it's your first stab at the genre. It's got real character.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Normal mode is designed for a more casual/good feel experience. It's ideal for collectors and for people who want a mild challenge. Our past games were to hard to our main market.

Arcade mode:

Is for core gamers. While we don't consider Gunlord an arcade game, this mode comes more close to it.

Instead of the for this sub-genre typical boatloads of 1ups you only get time ups and there is a mild time limit. To get 1ups you need to collect all big diamonds in a stage.
1CCing it is way more rewarding and challenging than normal mode.

Regarding the size of the game, it's not as long as people think. As soon as you know the stages you can blast through the game in 25-30 minutes!
If you want to see the perfect ending, have a high completion rate or have a descent score, you will need to spend 40-50 minutes though.

Please allow cheat code in 1.1 to change "Normale Mode" in "Collectors Mode" on screen menu
If someone complains about difficulty you should eventually also add some "Movie Mode" in the final revision imho

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Good to hear NG: DEV is working on an update already. Will the later MVS orders come with the update already?

The two game modes are interesting. It's nice to have an option in terms of the game play. It will add to the replay value I'm sure.

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
On your NG:DEV.DIRECT site, it has the shipping dates for the MVS versions as:

Gunlord MVS Shockbox LE: 04/23/2012
Gunlord MVS Regular Edition / RE: 04/09/2012
Since a lot of people are already receiving the Shockbox LE, does that mean that the RE is delayed, or did they both ship at the same time, or something else?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Ukyo: Excellent review! I really enjoyed that. Nice work and thanks for sharing that with everyone.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
These reviews are great folks, keep em coming.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Ok so I just played through the entire game (not full out exploring but not rushing either) on original mode, and I tried out arcade mode to see what it's like.

Arcade mode looks pretty good. Basically you get a timer and you are looking to increase the time to keep yourself alive which is a lot of fun and a much more hard core way to play the game. Also playing for score I'm sure would be amazing. There are literally TONS of secrets in the game and many of them are really well hidden. Really excellent level design all around. When you continue on arcade mode you start over at the beginning of the level, while in original mode you start at a stable platform nearest to where you died.

I was keeping an eye out for the signs to see what exactly is going on. It looks to me like the large GO! signs are fine and the large EXIT signs (rare) are also fine. The small red exit signs that point left and the ones that point up have inverted text, and it seems to only effect the first 3 levels. By the beginning of level 4 (or maybe even as early as the end of level 3) this problem corrects itself and all the exit signs are fine.

I noticed some interesting things I hadn't noticed before. You can actually kill smaller enemies by jumping on them (a la Mario). I tried jumping on all kinds of things to see what would happen, and I found that if you jump on top of those small swarming helicopter enemies they actually kick you up high into the air which I thought was really cool (you can use this technique to reach some secret areas). There is also an enemy later on in the game that is safe to stand on (it doesn't move around) though safe is a relative term since it is trying to kill you all the same. Starting on level 4 the levels become MUCH more difficult and tons of fun. I can't stress enough how pleased I am with the overall level design throughout the game. There is a really good variety of terrain and level mechanics between the levels which keeps it very fresh, and the level design really is amazing. Along with the music and the great enemy variety the stages themselves are tremendously enjoyable with great atmosphere.

I found myself using the C beam more and more in the later levels, almost to the exclusion of the regular weapon, since you get swarmed a lot. I'm tending to agree now with other opinions that it's a little too powerful (with a caveat). The length needs to be cut back slightly (maybe 2-3 notches). How to adjust the power though is a tough question, since it needs to be done the right way. The fact that the beam can instantly kill the smaller stuff is working totally fine as is. The problem is that it does too much damage too quickly to bosses, which eliminates having to use a more strategic approach to defeat them. For example if you find a relatively safe place to stand during a boss fight (not as hard as you might think considering how long the beam is) you can just set the beam at the appropriate angle and finish it off very quickly, maybe only having to move once or twice during the fight. Perhaps the best and simplest solution is to leave the power as is but make bosses immune to this weapon. Doing this would fix the issues people have with the beam being overpowered (since really it's only overpowered versus bosses) and also significantly improve the boss difficulty issue (though the fights themselves still need to be made HARDER).

The boss/sub boss fights are all too easy throughout the entire game. The difficulty of the boss fights do go up slightly starting on level 6, but they are all still way too easy. The only boss fight I thought was okay was the final boss, but to be clear, the difficulty of that fight was about right for something like a level 3 boss, it was by no means anywhere near hard enough for a final boss fight. Having said that I actually enjoyed the final boss fight tremendously (I won't spoil it), but want to see more like that. All the boss fights should be similarly dynamic. While I'm fighting the boss, throw a bunch of regular level enemies at me and also massively increase the boss' firepower. Mix it up between destructable bullets and non-desctructable ones. It's disappointing when you get through a tough level where you died a lot and then you can kill the boss on the first try without having seen the fight before. I know you guys know how to do this since the Fast Striker bosses were great.

The first 3 bosses should be relatively easy, but you shouldn't be able to kill them on a first attempt unseen. It should be sufficiently long enough to take maybe 3 or so deaths before you learn the fight, but then once you know the pattern you should be able to kill the boss every time. The second set of 3 boss fights should be harder. It should be a challenge (but doable) to get through the fight even if you know the patterns. The third set of 3 boss fights should kick your ass left and right. It should be HARD to kill them even if you know the fights forwards and backwards, and should require a little luck.

I thought the ending of the game was nicely done and was enjoyable (I won't spoil it either). All around great job and an excellent game.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Great review Jaelus. Thanks for the input. My anticipation has definitely grown even more from reading this...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think for the C beam to balance it removing 4-5 links would make it more balanced as when fighting bosses you would need to be really close to hit them.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I think for the C beam to balance it removing 4-5 links would make it more balanced as when fighting bosses you would need to be really close to hit them.

I don't know; that might make it too short for some of the later levels, though it can certainly be trimmed a little bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I don't know; that might make it too short for some of the later levels, though it can certainly be trimmed a little bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Or maybe it's one of those weapons where the longer you hold the button the longer the reach.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Great review there. Can't wait for the AES version.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I'm kinda hoping that the DC version includes the 1.0 version (and perhaps 1.1, depending on the changes) , as I would like to play the game as is... but without the cosmetic errors or actual glitches. I hope that they don't gimp the C-beam or any other weapons, I know people are saying its overpowered, but I'd like to see for myself.

Just because the game is "easy" to some players does'nt mean it'll be for others. Also, I thought that's why they made "Arcade" version. I really hope they don't go to the extreme and make the game hard as balls.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I really they don't go to the extreme and make the game hard as balls.

If you are getting the DC version of a Neo game it should be hard as balls since you need a set of steel balls to play the Neo remember? LOL

I'd like to try 1.0 as well but judging from what the review is I'll probably jump into classic mode first then arcade.

Status
Not open for further replies.