Gun Lord - Another new game by NG:DEV Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
At least part 2 showed some intent to actually play the game. Still no review however.

Hopefully the next person to receive the game has a cmvs or cab to play it on.

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
if mine gets here before a proper 'review' comes out, ill make one and a vid or something. Its going straight into my cab

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I wouldn't have even breathed before playing it. And this guy loses lifetime complaining about the serial? omg!

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I can't wait for my copy of Gay Lord.

pipes

Xian Xi: Looks like you started quite a shit storm over at NGFL. Lol! It's better than reading about a bent sticker though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Xian Xi: Looks like you started quite a shit storm over at NGFL. Lol! It's better than reading about a bent sticker though.

I think the last time I had drama was about the clock cesars at digital press, I think that was 2-3 years ago now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Sounds like you have to put on the kid gloves over at NGFL. XD

Merlin

n00b

The sticker thing was only mentioned quite briefly. Once RiKo got the game working with the convertor he did post quite a bit about his impressions of the gameplay.

Gunlord looks amazing. I have a feeling this could well be NG Dev Team's best game so far. The shoot 'em up section looks particularly impressive. Makes me wish they would develop a new horizontal shooter.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
Sounds like you have to put on the kid gloves over at NGFL. XD

This is why I rarely go to other boards now. About 2-3 weeks ago I had my post complete deleted on ASSembler, some guy ask Dion where he could get 300 AES boxes and all I said was "You going to make some conversions, oh your from France enough said", and then after a day it was deleted without any say.. Gay.

JS

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
+ 9 Big levels with lots to explore
+ Actually quite atmospheric
+ Nicely varied
+ Not as easy to get lost as you'd think
+ Some nice pixel art and backgrounds

- Mostly awful pixel art
- Some sprite tearing
- Long levels with no saving between
- Colours can be hard to distinguish from the background
- Annoying auto-centering "camera". Easy to jump into death too
- Purple laser weapon far more useful than the main ones
- Some control issues (over sensitive inputs, accidental rolls)
- Too easy

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Oh what a detailed review!

Care to write a real review?

Could you explain for example "mostly awful pixel art". Maybe I saw another demo but.....

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The sticker thing was only mentioned quite briefly. Once RiKo got the game working with the convertor he did post quite a bit about his impressions of the gameplay.

Gunlord looks amazing. I have a feeling this could well be NG Dev Team's best game so far. The shoot 'em up section looks particularly impressive. Makes me wish they would develop a new horizontal shooter.

Hey Merlin,

Did you order Gunlord by chance? I hope to see some gameplay vids on your channel.

pipes

+ 9 Big levels with lots to explore
+ Actually quite atmospheric
+ Nicely varied
+ Not as easy to get lost as you'd think
+ Some nice pixel art and backgrounds

- Mostly awful pixel art
- Some sprite tearing
- Long levels with no saving between
- Colours can be hard to distinguish from the background
- Annoying auto-centering "camera". Easy to jump into death too
- Purple laser weapon far more useful than the main ones
- Some control issues (over sensitive inputs, accidental rolls)
- Too easy

The bent sticker review seems pretty good after reading this.

In all fairness to the bent sticker guy, he did write a pretty good review of the first 2+ stages today. A little more detailed than the above.

Here's the link, post # 153:

http://www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3291&rowstart=140

Anybody know anything about the two game modes he mentions, original & arcade? What's the difference?

Last edited:

Ukyo

20 Year Member
just got my copy; i'll post some impressions later tonight.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I'm glad they are starting to pop up now. Man I can't wait to get my AES. :drool_2:

aria

Former Moderator
just got my copy; i'll post some impressions later tonight.

Look forward to it!

Heck, I'd love to know your impressions of the art. Are you still working in the industry? (it's Bobak in case it may not be clear)

Merlin

n00b
Hey Merlin,

Did you order Gunlord by chance? I hope to see some gameplay vids on your channel.

I'm afraid not Xian Xi. I'd love to give it a go but at the moment the only Neo Geo format I have is NGCD and also I don't own a DC yet. Hopefully someone else will post a complete playthrough on Youtube very soon.

NG Dev team did say a while back on their Facebook page that they would look into the possibility of releasing the game for NGCD. I'm not feeling too confident an NGCD release will actually happen but you never know.

Will be interesting to read what people here think of the game.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Got mine today. So here's what was in the box:

Game (#18) with insert, shock, manual, and stickers:
gamestuffs.jpg

A couple posters (nice quality):
poster1.jpg

poster2.jpg

I had no issues getting it to run on my 6 slot board (basically the same as getting Fast Striker or LH:PB to work).

I only had time to play through the first three stages, but here are some first impressions: The intro is nicely done, but the audio (narration) was a bit out of sync. It started when the narrator read an extra word that wasn't in the text captions and that threw off the timing through the rest of the intro. When you start, it gives you the option to play with a couple different modes, I chose original (not sure what the differences are between the modes). I've never played any of the Turrican games so I can't say how Turricany it is or isn't.

The first level was gorgeous with great atmosphere and sound (especially in the later part of the level when the storm starts up - absolutely fantastic). The second level (horizontal shooter) was also gorgeous, but way too short (think bonus level length, although it does have a boss). Level three (back to platformer) didn't look quite as good as the first level did, but one of the enemies produces temporary footholds when you shoot it, which I think is a really cool idea and made for a pretty dynamic level. Again, I didn't have time to play past the very beginning of level 4, so this is all I've gotten to see thus far.

The levels are pretty large and dynamic with a good mix of interesting enemies that require varied tactics to defeat. The weapons and power ups are all pretty straightforward, are better for different situations and some are all around better than others. There are many hidden platforms that can be used to get to secrets or shot to produce power ups (it destroys the platform). There was also a good mix of power ups, with increasing rarity. One is a shield that gives you a forcefield (nice visual effect). For the most part the controls seemed pretty solid, but the joystick is definitely too sensitive on menus and it takes some getting used to the controls when you're in "ball" mode as you move really fast. The platforming works beautifully as well as the wall climbing and there are tons of secrets in the levels (narrow passages, hidden platforms, destructable walls and floors, etc..) and you get a detailed count of secrets found/missed at the end of each level.

Unfortunately the stages themselves are a lot more challenging than the bosses. While the bosses looked and moved well they were also way too easy. I'm not sure if it's different on the other play modes or if they get a lot harder later on, but the early bosses at least should be tweaked to make them a lot more difficult. The soundtrack is amazingly good and definitely adds to the atmosphere of the game. Like the other NG:DEV titles, the sound is a bit quiet compared to other MVS titles and you have to turn it up (you'll want to do this since the audio work is great). I had a lot of fun exploring and am looking forward to being able to play through the rest of it. On the whole, it's very enjoyable and I'm definitely glad I made the purchase. My only real concern is that the bosses are too easy (which is fixable).

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Thanks for the pics and write up Jaelus.

Can't wait to get mine! It seems there is a couple of small niggling issue that need to be ironed out. In the past have they released patches for their games? I know there is a USB upgrade that can be done. Do they usually follow through with it?

Im not overly concerned if there is a few issues that need fixing. By releasing it at least the community can contribute to the patch, provided there ends up being one.

Status
Not open for further replies.