Seibu Kaihatsu Opinions?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Sometime last week I was assessing my collection and it dawned on me; aside from Raiden DX I own every Raiden game available available. (the amount of actual games isn't important)

Strangely, this wasn't intentional. (I'm the type that is bothered by owning a sequel without having the first entry into the series, even if it sucks)

So it got me thinking; "is Seibu my favorite shmup company?"

If someone asked me for my top 5 favorite shmup companies I'd say Psikyo, Toaplan, Takumi, Cave and Milestone; Seibu wouldn't even cross my mind.

Why is that?

It's worth mentioning that aside from DX, every Raiden game has come west. I'm guessing other people love Seibu, even if they don't realize it.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I also love Seibu and their Raiden games, specially the first two (part 3 ain't to shabby either IMO, haven't played IV yet but it's on my list). They are old-school shmups that require a well-timed and methodical approach that is quite different to most other games of the genre, specially when it comes to modern shmups with their manic/bullet hell themes and enemy setups.

Then again, the Raiden games (not DX) seem to be a mixed bag for many shmup'ers. Either you can cope with their slow ship speed and basic weaponry or you can't, they're not the type of games that can be played casually IMO. They also are solid and enjoyable but not really spectacular, maybe that is the reason why Seibu often falls off the radar.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I sometimes struggle with the 'slow ship, fast bullets' paradigm...especially after a SK hiatus.

Love this dev house tho. VINTAGE SHOOTING!

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I also own far to many versions of the Raiden games

Seibu forever! I still to this day do not understand why any incarnation of Raiden was never ported to the Saturn!

I dont think Senkyu or Zero Team was ever brought west

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I adore the Raiden series. Despite the functional graphics, there's a hell of a lot of detail and a real feeling of gritty, violent destruction. Getting that spread shot powered all the way up and point blanking some giant metal ship with it feels godly. The soundtrack (1&2) is also sheer perfection and really adds to the experience. I found Raiden 3 a bit meh though, it just feels glossy and anonymous by comparison. I can't think of another shooter from that era that I'd pick over Raiden 1 or 2.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
honestly not too crazy about the raiden fighters series but in like 92 was it? raiden and raiden 2 were basically THE shmups in any arcade I've been to. There was really nothing else in their league.

I am sure if I went back on mame I could find some other good shmups from that era, but none of them were in my arcades back then.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
Zero Team was released in the states in very limited supply. I even have the original arcade flyer for it.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I have played zero team in a canadian arcade, I remember my dad saying it was the only beat em up he liked. My memories of it are vague though and I been checking mame for it for years hoping to see if it was as good as I remember.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Seibu rules. Raiden 1 and 2 are not for the feint of hard. It's amazing that they were distributed as much as they were in the west. Maybe Fabtek did a great job marketing the boards to operators.

Edit: I really want to play Zero Team.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I probably wouldn't mention Seibu in my favourite games companies either. I much prefer the style of the likes of Toaplan or Cave. They've got some pretty amazing games when you think about it though. Raiden Fighters and Viper Phase 1 absolutely kick ass.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I really need to play Viper Phase 1 and Zero Team.

The sprite style/ animation in ZT is really unique!!! I wonder what came first; Zero Team or Knuckle Bash?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Seibu is great. I think people don't think much of Seibu as a shmup dev 'cause they only have the Raiden series, I mean aside from Viper Phase 1, which is really a Raiden spin-off there isn't much else to talk about. However Raiden is my favorite series when it comes to shmups.