Help with AES game auto resetting itself

pooch

New Challenger
I sold a mint and working copy of Samurai Spirits Zero Special JPN fixed version a while ago. It was working when it left my hands. However, the buyer told me that he is experiencing problem with it. This is what he said:

"here's what happens - when you insert the cartridge and turn the Neo Geo on, it doesn't take long for the game to automatically reset by itself.

I have collected many many Neo Geo games over the years and have never ever experienced this kind of a problem with a game before.

The time window in which the game resets seems to have a semi-random quality to it: the furthest I have gotten without the game resetting is during the intro sequence right after the narrator has spoken his lines and the first boss character art appears, that's when the game always resets at the latest.

Unfortunately this renders the game unplayable, even if you manage to start the game and start playing it, it's only a matter of time until it resets.

The problem - I can only imagine - is either in the connector pins or the chips inside the cartridge, but whatever is causing this, I cannot repair it."

I have never encountered such problem and I don't know how to fix it. Any help or advise is appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sounds like a PSU issue. He's probably running a stock PSU non +5v one. Usually the +10v and +11v ones reset sometimes with very big meg games since they draw more current than the PSU can give plus the PSU could be failing itself.

pooch

New Challenger
Thanks a lot for your help! Although I don't know what PSU is, I assume it's something to do with the system? Anyway, I have forwarded your answer to the buyer and I hope he could figure it out. I will post updates if there is any on here. Thanks again!

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Have him turn on the AES with NO cartridge installed and report back what color screen he gets. He may have a hardware issue too.

RJ

pooch

New Challenger
Thanks for all the help.

He understood what PSU is and said that he may buy a new system if that's the problem.

However, he said that he owns other "big meg" games like Metal Slug 3 and SVC Chaos - both also 708 megs - exactly the same as this faulty Samurai Spirits Zero Special ("Fixed" version) and they both work. He owns a European Neo-Geo running on the default power supply it originally came boxed with.

Could it still be problems with his system?

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Ummm is a "PSU" a fancy name for a power adaptor? If so... why would he trash his whole system just because the power adaptor went to shit? Can't he just pick up another compatible one at Radioshack?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did he check the color of the screen without a cart?

pooch

New Challenger
He said that the screen goes white for only a second and then turn blue and stays blue when he turns on his system without a cart.

Does that mean anything?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's blue then everything checks out. It's either the cart or the PSU.

pooch

New Challenger
He said he will get another system that is a Japanese NTSC system, got the Uni Bios 3.0
and every possible extra you can get, it's also got the +5V PSU. And if the game still doesn't work, it probably has to do with the game.

I hope the game is not malfunctional! I will keep you posted.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Is it just me or is that the most ridiculous "solution" you could possibly think of?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
pooch, do you understand they're saying the problem may be the system's AC adapter, not the whole system?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Pooch understands it, the person who bought his game doesn't.

Ona

n00b
Hey guys,

i think i have the same problem... my game resets itself... (blue screen is shown without game)

i made a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN5FgQCw3VA

can somebody tell me what to do? buy a new PSU?

a nice guy on youtube took a look on my aes motherboard and this is his feedback:
quote:
One thing that worried me there - you appear to have a 5v model - its an early revision the same as mine! It should be expecting 5v input, not 10v! But after inspection I see you have a small regulator board fitted, and some of the components are missing off the motherboard, so yes it would appear that your system expects 10v and should be OK!
Unquote.

i made a new and cleaner pic of my board! http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160903/kayys3ph.jpg

hopefully somebody can help me :(

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
That cheapo Chinese PSU is probably not putting out enough current.

Ona

n00b
Hopefully this is the problem! Just the damn PSU...
Any other ideas of what it could be?
Can somebody send me a Link of a good manufacture or should i go for the original one?

Ona

n00b
I'll just hope that this PSU does his job... the last PSU I could try is the 5V 3A I guess... but i'm so scared to damage my aes.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
5V PSU is for 5V systems only.

I can get you a 9V original PSU, but it is Japanese voltage spec.

Ona

n00b
5V PSU is for 5V systems only.

I can get you a 9V original PSU, but it is Japanese voltage spec.

sounds good, thanks for the offer! but let me first check the new psu i purchased(should be here in a few days).
if it wont work, i would buy yours and use a adapter to eu volatge.

Ona

n00b
Just want to let you guys know that the AES works awesome! The new PSU does his job! :)