Phantom-1 Graphics Board Fix for SS/LB

DavidG

I acquired a red internal p1 that has the max chip installed in a socket. The guy who sold it said he has tried to read the chip in the past and it's not locked. I've tested that converter with SS/LB and there isn't any issues. As posted the only p1's with this issue are the zmc2 versions. I confirmed first hand the cmc and max are fine. From what I can tell there are no public red p1's so how long a max chip would work outside the design phase isn't a problem.

Update to the newest games on the p1. On the 3-x boards all games are working fine now. On the first gen board I have cvs and ms5 working but they reset after a few mins at random so more work is needed before I can post a final mod.

Ripping the Neo-x chips are not that hard when you have the right equipment. Just takes time which I happen to have. If it takes years, that's ok, I'm not going anywhere anyways.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
You can't fix all games with diodes :P There's the fact that many MVS carts in circulation will behave erratically on the AES and the only fix is an updated program ROM.

Ripping chips? It takes a lot more than equipment (what? a budget LA?) and time to RE VLSI chips. By all means be optimistic, but you must know it's a bold claim...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Update to the newest games on the p1. On the 3-x boards all games are working fine now. On the first gen board I have cvs and ms5 working but they reset after a few mins at random so more work is needed before I can post a final mod.

On which system did the reset happen, +5v or +9v?

DavidG

I reverse engineer for a living. For the chips I want it won't be a problem.

First gen systems are always 5v, the issue isn't power as I use custom rigs with 5v 15a and bypass the systems regulator when testing. I can confirm the converters program board is wired correctly and it does work fine as is on the newer 3.x systems. It's something minor like it was for the gfx board.

DavidG

I spent all last week on the Neo. I've completed my interface boards and now have access to play around with many aspecs of the system. I have several levels to the boards I need from absolutely required, i need, down to may need later. I went all out and had them all made. I should have the P1 fixed by tomorrow morning.

I honestly didn't expect to spend so much time on it but I've had a blast and learned a lot about the system.

Mr.Kevums

Legend.,
20 Year Member
I spent all last week on the Neo. I've completed my interface boards and now have access to play around with many aspecs of the system. I have several levels to the boards I need from absolutely required, i need, down to may need later. I went all out and had them all made. I should have the P1 fixed by tomorrow morning.

I honestly didn't expect to spend so much time on it but I've had a blast and learned a lot about the system.

Sounds awesome. I'm glad your having a badass time with this badass system. I'm looking forward to the results of your hard work. :buttrock:

DavidG

Latest update. I have MS5, SvC, SS5 and KOF 2003 working on both P1's on all systems. My MS5 has a strange quirk where it will do a random reset after a few hours. I thought it was the converter but I seen it happen running on a mv1b and on a mv1. I have several neos running at once, I just leave them on to ensure the testing is complete. I've been able to acquire a rare P1 that was made to be white but came out a pale green, not too many of those around. From what I can tell I may have the complete line. That will come in handy when I make the final post with a good deal of pictures.

I've been working on many of the Neo chipsets and have completed most of the zmc2 and cto. My test board runs fine with minor timing issues. I can see why a custom chip was made so they could ensure all chips made were exact. The red P1 and the smvs2 should be almost the same. I don't see any reason why we couldn't update the smvs to fix the SS issues once I have the design competed.

Does anyone have a smvs2 that they could grab some images of the boards? It would be great if the max chip was in a socket making the swap quick and only $20 or so. If anyone wants to snap some images drop me a pm.

DavidG

I've seen post where they said it was just a max chip. If it uses an ASIC that's a little over kill and would make it more difficult to update. Might be cheaper to swap out the entire board. Again if anyone has pictures that would be great.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The original prototype photo had a CPLD, and perhaps so did the red LED release, but the common blue LED SMVSCII has an ASIC (as do pretty much all of Neoteam's products), and I think it's in a TQ100 package.