RGB to VGA question

I just picked up a mini-"arcade" machine. It has a similar form factor to those Taito and SNK liscensed tabletops, but I put "arcade" in quotations because it has an LCD monitor and a PC with roms on it.

I already upgraded the controls, and I want to put a JAMMA harness in it, but for cost reasons+laziness, I am wondering if I can just convert the RGB to VGA cheaply and keep the current screen.

Which encoders are cheapest and easiest? I have made superguns before, but I have never used one with VGA. How bad a downgrade in image quality should I expect?

It says "multicade" on the marquee but I can't find my specific one online.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Most modern monitors can't sync 15.7KHz from jamma games. Not to mention most modern monitors are not going to know what to do with a composite sync signal. you're going to need an upscaler.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The one from jammaboards.com works pretty good. I tried it with MVS and it works pretty well. I think it's around $50.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
No color bleed or scrolling issues when I used it.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Is this what you mean?

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cg...3ff68f529742=4cc14e661c25a40ca0e63325b8dcff8e

The price is pretty good. How much worse is the video going to be, just pixelated, will there be any scrolling issues? I can live with pixelation but not color bleed or scrolling flicker.
i plan to get the same encoder in the new year and i'm also waiting for the slg3000 to be released. sure, it won't be the same as a real 15khz crt but it'll do.

here's an ebay search for the rgb to vga converter.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
There will be scrolling issues with any game that runs at a refresh rate of under 60hz.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Is this what you mean?

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cg...3ff68f529742=4cc14e661c25a40ca0e63325b8dcff8e

The price is pretty good. How much worse is the video going to be, just pixelated, will there be any scrolling issues? I can live with pixelation but not color bleed or scrolling flicker.

I have that same encoder. It doesn't work with everything I throw at it, but I don't recall ever seeing flicker. It either works (yay!) or it doesn't (black screen or still image with washed out color).

Definitely works great with an MVS, MK2, UMK3, MK1, ST-V, PGM. Doesn't work with Strikers or Survival Arts. Figure that one out. :)

I have that same encoder. It doesn't work with everything I throw at it, but I don't recall ever seeing flicker. It either works (yay!) or it doesn't (black screen or still image with washed out color).

Definitely works great with an MVS, MK2, UMK3, MK1, ST-V, PGM. Doesn't work with Strikers or Survival Arts. Figure that one out. :)

Awesome, can you check cps2? I probably won't bother with the encoder unless cps2 works. :)

RGB32e

n00b
Awesome, can you check cps2? I probably won't bother with the encoder unless cps2 works. :)

Yes, the GBS-8220 works with the CPS-2:

gbs8220cps2000.jpg

gbs8220cps2001.jpg

:mr_t:

Awesome! I'm worried about lag though, hrrrm...I'll just have to try it and see, I'm pretty sensitive when I am familiar enough with the game at detecting lag, I knew the first time I played Super Turbo on Capcom Classics Collection 2something was VERY wrong. :)

Artemio

NEST Puppet
Awesome! I'm worried about lag though, hrrrm...I'll just have to try it and see, I'm pretty sensitive when I am familiar enough with the game at detecting lag, I knew the first time I played Super Turbo on Capcom Classics Collection 2something was VERY wrong. :)

In that case use an XRGB-2, XRGB-2+ or XRGB-3 in B1 mode. They have no lag and output via VGA. Since they are just line doublers and upscan converters when used as such. You also get the option of adding scanlines. This one works quite nicely though, I've set up a few friends with one of them.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
That picture looks fucking fantastic.. Maybe I should start going the VGA route with my superguns.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
I used the 1FZ with that upscanner.

Is that a stripped down Dynamo, ReRuss?

I have another RGB related question guys. I see this site here:

http://www.8liners.com/datatech/monitor.html

Supposedly you send this guy information on which kind of television tube you have, and he will send you a chassis board so you can use it as an RGB monitor. I am trying to learn more about monitors and video right now... If you do get one of this guys' RGB chassis, will the actual DISPLAY be RGB, i.e., is the only difference between a regular TV and an arcade RGB monitor in the chassis? Or does his chassis have an RGB encoder of some kind to NTSC built in?

I realize I could email this guy but I have no intention of buying his product, I am trying to understand what the tubes do specifically better...

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Of course it's an RGB display.. Why would the chassis convert the RGB to NTSC and then convert it back to RGB? That would defeat the whole purpose of it.

I would not waste my money on one of these. Most TV chassis are very easy to modify for RGB input.