Super MVS Converter II's "pot"

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
Not sure what other term it goes by, and I tried unsuccessfully looking for an existing thread on the topic, but...

When adjusting the converter's pot with the flathead screwdriver that comes with the converter, is the actual adjustment supposed to be made while the the game is on (i.e. to see immediate results of its positioning) or off (to avoid some sort of damage)?

I'm curious because I received an MVS copy of Waku Waku 7 that exibits the scaling issues pretty badly with the converter.

smvs-4.jpg

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The proper name for that part is a trimpot or variable resistor. They are almost always designed to be adjusted while the circuit is operating.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It pretty much does shit. I think it was a maketing ploy to gain "trust" in the product since you can "fine tune the picture".

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I've always thought that. Quite frankly, if I cared about the issue I reckon I could design a far better converter. But I don't.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Only had to use that once for RBS and never again for other games.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
It all depends on the games. The pot worked well with games like 'Neo Drift-Out' and 'Overtop'.. but for 'Ninja Warriors' I could never get it perfectly tuned.

Marcooled_79

New Challenger
Hi everybody, I'm just curious if this converter is any good. Some sources say it's a reasonable investment (i'd prefer AES games, but some cool games are just out of my budget's range :crying:) so MVS-carts seems to be the way to go. If also looked at consolized MVS-stuff, but these look either dodgy or are seriously expensive (might as well go for a cab...if I ever win the lottery)

One thing that boggles me is if an different adaptor is needed (like the one that's shown on neostore.com). I currently have a JP-AES (unmodded) with a power converter to change Dutch mains to Nihon mains (the AES came with a POW3-adaptor). Is the different power source required to use the MVS-converter?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm such a noob. Hope this MVS stuff is wurth my bucks, cause this would make a world of cool NG-games available...:drool:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Is your AES a 10V machine? Some games won't work if its one, Metal Slug X is one of them (just keeps resetting). Personally, I use a german Mega Drive 1 power adaptor for mine without any form of mains converter.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Even with a beefier PSU the non +5v system still can't play metal slug x. I still don't understand why.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Hi everybody, I'm just curious if this converter is any good. Some sources say it's a reasonable investment (i'd prefer AES games, but some cool games are just out of my budget's range :crying:) so MVS-carts seems to be the way to go. If also looked at consolized MVS-stuff, but these look either dodgy or are seriously expensive (might as well go for a cab...if I ever win the lottery)

One thing that boggles me is if an different adaptor is needed (like the one that's shown on neostore.com). I currently have a JP-AES (unmodded) with a power converter to change Dutch mains to Nihon mains (the AES came with a POW3-adaptor). Is the different power source required to use the MVS-converter?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm such a noob. Hope this MVS stuff is wurth my bucks, cause this would make a world of cool NG-games available...:drool:
It's not worth it. Do some more research here. I piss on that converter.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That I do. It's a fucking golden shower around here.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
All that korean dog meat made you obviously "howling mad".

Marcooled_79

New Challenger
Is your AES a 10V machine? Some games won't work if its one, Metal Slug X is one of them (just keeps resetting). Personally, I use a german Mega Drive 1 power adaptor for mine without any form of mains converter.

I think mine is a 11V-one :spock: the (NEO POW3) adapter reads: input = AC 100V, 50/60 Hz, 19 VA and output = output DC 11V, 700 mA.

@ Neo Alec: i'll start reading some posts, thanks!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think mine is a 11V-one :spock: the (NEO POW3) adapter reads: input = AC 100V, 50/60 Hz, 19 VA and output = output DC 11V, 700 mA.

@ Neo Alec: i'll start reading some posts, thanks!

If the output is +9v, +10v, +11v or +12v they are all the same AES unit type.

Marcooled_79

New Challenger
If the output is +9v, +10v, +11v or +12v they are all the same AES unit type.

Hi Xian Xi, what does it mean that they are the same AES unit type? Does this mean that I would need the additionale adapter, or am I taking a risk with that and -as a result- fry the inerts of my AES? :conf:

Also, I'm reading some positive feedback on the blue led-converter, and I reckon that it could be a nice way to start gathering and using MVS-carts (because my ultimate dream is to grab hold of a NG candycab some day :drool:).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Also, I'm reading some positive feedback on the blue led-converter, and I reckon that it could be a nice way to start gathering and using MVS-carts (because my ultimate dream is to grab hold of a NG candycab some day :drool:).
I think almost all the converters are the blue led version, and if you have a different color it's a really early one.