Super MVS Converter II trouble

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
Hey guys, bought a Super MVS Converter II fron NeoStore that came in the mail today and went to test it out on the only MVS cart that I have so far, Metal Slug. It works great, except for what can only be described as a slight 'static' to the visuals (sort of random flashing white pixels dispersed on the screen).

Not sure if it's the converter or the Metal Slug MVS cart. When I took the converter out of the box for the first time, I noticed it sounds like there's a very small part loose inside of it that just kind of rattles around when I give it a little shake. I'm also not sure about the authenticity of the Metal Slug MVS cart (the label looks a bit fishy) and wonder if that's any cause of the 'static'.

Sadly I don't have any other MVS carts to test on it just yet for comparison, but all my AES carts work 100% fine on the console when the converter's not in it. Anyone else ever have a similar issue? Is there something I'm not getting? Thanks

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
A bootleg game is easy enough to determine. Just unscrew the four corner screws and take a look at the chips. If you see a bunch of windowed chips, or weird tiny chips it's probably a boot.

The converter has a little current adjustment wheel. You could also try fiddling with that.

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
I've educated myself a bit further on MVS bootlets, and think I may have a bootleg Megal Slug. The LoopyEddie bootleg page states in the testimonial that "there would be little graphic flickers." Aslo...
"I began running into more bootleg carts. The next ones I received were Metal Slug..."
Not to mention the cart only ran me $30. I'll simply have to acquire another MVS game to compare against.

I'm still a tad concerned about the rattling loose part in the converter. I've had rattling loose parts in games before that worked fine, but can't help but be curious about this one since the Super MVS Converter II was bought brand new.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm guessing that's the one from langley on ebay. Tell her it's a bootleg. I told her it was and she was sure it was legit.

Anyway if it isn't that cart, what PSU are you using? Is it a 5v or 9v/10v/11v/12v PSU?

For all boot comparisons go to:

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
I did the comparison, and it's definitely a bootleg. Has the pieces marked "MS" and everything. My AC adapter is the 5v, so at least I know Metal Slug X will work with the adapter... I think.

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
Sorry for the double post, but although the adapter appears to work fine, I'm not sure I'm getting the included disc to work correctly now. I can access a lot of pictures and the like, but am wondering if there is an audio tutorial that I'm supposed to look for within it. /noob

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
Only thing about the convertor I found on the CD was a saved neo forum thread about the device.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You can ignore the disc, there's nothing vital on it.

There are no graphic errors with my MS cart.

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
I'm guessing that's the one from langley on ebay. Tell her it's a bootleg. I told her it was and she was sure it was legit.

Anyway if it isn't that cart, what PSU are you using? Is it a 5v or 9v/10v/11v/12v PSU?

For all boot comparisons go to:

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

Yeah it was indeed from Langley. When I pointed out the questionable authenticity of the cart, she flipped out and went on a rant, saying "people are trying to ruin me on ebay." :conf: I provided her the above link in hope that she'll use it for future reference.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'd get a refund from her dude. She better comply with that as she was certain it was legit.

Retro2DGamer

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah she refunded it, but she's still certain it's authentic even after claiming that she viewed the link.