"Customs" blackmail/extorsion?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You'd expect a international cooperation like UPS to have any sort of auto-correction for their mails. :oh_no:

Fucking scamming bastards.

Gatchaman

, ,
The western union and the email: jennifer-XXXXXX@ups.claims.ir
Give it away quickly. That is not even an @UPS.com email.

I would suggest you contact UPS customer service directly using the number at the official UPS.com web site and they should be able to give you the actual customs "status" of your order.

I would be interested in knowing what status UPS actually lists it as. I'm wondering how the scammers even know about the shipment.

My guess would be that either or both of you have compromised email accounts or systems.

UPS might be interested as well, if the status is actually a "hold" they might have an internal problem at that overseas location.

Let us know how it goes.

~Gatcha

Asure

Captain Dick,
The domain is registered in Iran (.ir) and server hosting is in Russia.
Also, as the ups.claims.ir server is located in Russia. "package sends you"

I'd very strongly suggest to both the sender and recipient to install a really good virus scanner and check the PC's in thier lan for spyware and other shit. Perhaps do a full re-install of all computers. Someone in Russia or Iran is getting data from you regarding these packages, and attempting to fraud you.

The hoops these guys went trough suggest they are either mobsters or terrorists after your money that may be used for god knows what..

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I was once told by the post master here, that when they open a package they sometimes refer to ebay to check the value of an item. Maybe it got based off an AES cart instead of a MVS one.

Either that or anyone's high ass buy it now listing.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I have read through all of this and I am gutted for Sniper and Ian, and me as I was looking at buying some games from Sniper.

It does seem a bit strange from all I have read. The only thing I don't understand is that if it was a scam, would they even have the games? If they don't, then where are they? If they do, then what is the shipping company saying about it, as they must have been stolen.

What really annoys me is how customs think it is okay to slap loads of duty on 2nd hand items that are 15 years old. Where do they really get there figures from, I can't believe that a governemnt organisation would use eBay and hope that a listing is there. What do they then have a quick flick through completed listings as well?

Heath

, cheyne stoking
I can't believe that a governemnt organisation would use eBay and hope that a listing is there. What do they then have a quick flick through completed listings as well?

Never heard of this and cant imagine its true, i thought customs go on the value the sender has put down which is around 17% - 20% of the price put down on items £65 and over.

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
People, it's not actually CUSTOMS that's scamming; it's people who are phishing scammers intercepting information about packages being shipped internationally and posing as customs officials.

SniperElite

Kula's Candy
I contacted my local USPS post office today, and they are fully aware of the situation.

She stated that there is a fair chance that it has not been intercepted and Ian may still get his Garou. She advised that all we can do is a wait and see approach and give it 30 days as it will go through US and UK customs and packages get held or re-rout all the time.

She claimed that since there was no insurance on the package it more than likely would not get approved for a refund, but to still file a claim anyway as there may be a chance.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
People, it's not actually CUSTOMS that's scamming; it's people who are phishing scammers intercepting information about packages being shipped internationally and posing as customs officials.

Of course it is not customs doing the scamming, but answer this then... where have the games gone?

If the 'Scammers' have intercepted some info, then surely the games would still be delivered. Else if the item was stolen then the shipping company would not have a record of it's delivery. Or perhaps Customs have actually got it, but then another form of contact would have been received asking for money.

Originally I thought the only logically answer is that the shipping route for parcels from the States to Europe does for some reason, stop and change transport in Spain. But a quick Google on 'ups.claims.ir' does bring up some interesting results:

http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?t=44629

http://www.fraudwatchers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44959

http://mrnumber.com/1-678-701-8046

Definitely a scam, but where is the game...?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I contacted my local USPS post office today, and they are fully aware of the situation.

She stated that there is a fair chance that it has not been intercepted and Ian may still get his Garou. She advised that all we can do is a wait and see approach and give it 30 days as it will go through US and UK customs and packages get held or re-rout all the time.

She claimed that since there was no insurance on the package it more than likely would not get approved for a refund, but to still file a claim anyway as there may be a chance.

:smirk:
Was writing my reply whilst you were posting.
Hopefully then all will turn out well... and that would be two bits of good news for Ian.:multi_co:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I just want to say, the lesson here is this:

For international sales, regardless of which countries games are going between, sellers should offer buyers the options of:
1. pay for basic shipping, and if the game doesn't show up it's the buyer's problem - buyer beware.
2. buyer can pay for tracking/insurance, and there should be no issues.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you're in the US receiving any parcel from Europe, usually the tracking part won't go beyond the customs of the country the sender resides. So other than being able to acknowledge that the sender has actually mailed the parcel, there is nothing you can do once it passes through the customs.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.

I hope so man :), It's a weird situation for sure :scratch:

Fett

Camel Slug
I am an employee of USPS and I know the kind of bullshit UPS does. Let me tell you that it's never a good idea to use UPS to ship international packages. UPS and Fedex both got where they are by offering businesses bulk discounts while USPS originally only did a flat amount per package. Realizing their mistake in the booming parcel business USPS has since corrected their policies and offers the cheapest and most reliable methods for parcel delivery. In fact, we actually deliver many of UPS's packages because they don't have the door-to-door coverage that we do. Many packages sent through UPS actually get delayed further when they get handed off to USPS or other foreign post offices.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
This is fucking disgusting. Seriously it makes me ill to know how crooked people are around the world.

Did IDCHAPPY ever get his Garou?

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Nope, not yet anyway, it might still be lost in transit somewhere though :scratch:.
There was alot of delays with weather and that here near the end of november and the US customs got tougher aswell, i dunno :conf:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Hello gentlemen,

I sold IDCHAPPY "Ian" Zupapa and Garou MVS carts. Both packages were stopped by customs. Ian was able to pick up the Zupapa with a small customs fee and I was sent the following emails. (Both carts were sent USPS Priority flat rate cardboard mailer)

All I have to say is WTF? Anyone heard of this before?

BTW, I will not pay the fee and I refunded Ian for the cart! It's unfortunate, but I don't think I will ship internationally again. I’m just glad this was not an expensive PCB or something... $60 is enough! I'm not a rich man sorry to say.

**Sorry about the hard read**

*(First email sent to me)*

UPS®Corporate Headquarters55 Glenlake Parkway, NEAtlanta , GA 30328Final NoticeDear Customer, This is to notify you that your package has been intercepted and is temporarily being held in transit in Spain .The delivery process has been suspended for the following reasons.1. It has been detected that your package contains taxable items .2. In line with new laws, items transiting through the EU are to be fully taxed and are subject to postal inspection by transitting postal authorities. Concluding the verification on the package it has been ascertained that adequate tax was not paid on the package. Your name and email address were on the package for contact details. The contents have been ascertained as a non-risk item,however under new laws any package transiting through the EU is liable to full tax coverage payment.The sender did pay the appropriate courier fee but did not state the true value of the contents of the package .We are therefore requesting you pay full tax for the coverage of Ђ119 Euros on the package. In order for your package to be released, you are obligated to pay the due tax on the contents of the packageYou should therefore contact your assigned claims Officer, Carl Brooks to assist with the tax payment inSpain ,where your package is currently being heldWhile we wait to receive from you the tax File Number to enable us forwardyour package to your address. Below is the contact information of your assigned claimsOfficer. Name: Mr. Carl BrooksEmail address:carl-brooks@ups.claims.irTel: 1-XXX-XXX XXXX Note:tax coverage fees are payable to Spanish authorities through your assigned claims Officer.UPS® does not accept fees on behalf of foreign authorities. Once you receive your tax File Number, kindly forward file number orscanned document to your assigned claims Officer for onward delivery to UPS®.When making contact with your assigned claims officer via email or phone please quote reference XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and a confirmation of your name and address for for swift location of package details. The status of your package can be tracked as soon as payment has been confirmed Soon as we have received the required tax payment We shall forward yourpackage to its destination. Copyright © 1994-2010 UPS® , Inc. All rights reserved.

*(The return email I sent back)*

Hello Mr. Brooks,

My name is Lawrence Holbrook and I received this notice, but it was sent to my spam (Junk) folder, hence the slight delay in response.

I sold a "Garou MVS" (Arcade cartridge) to Ian at "insert address". I paid $62 usd for it off of eBay and sold it to him for $60 usd as I stated on the customs declarations form I filled out.

It is held in Spain from what this notification is telling me and I would like it released. I sent him another Arcade cartridge that was also held in customs. He told me that he just paid the customs fees and it was released to him about a week ago.

I called the phone number provided in this email and have left 2 messages for you, once yesterday and once this morning.

If you could please help me resolve this issue at getting my friends game released I would be truly grateful. Thank you so very much for your time sir! My phone number is as follows: 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX

Thanks again!
Take care!
Larry Holbrook

*(This is the response email)*

UPS®Customer Services
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta , GA 30328

Larry Holbrook

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience however the tax imposed is out of our control and requested by authorities.

We understand you might not want to disclose your credit card details over the internet or the phone so Kindly make payment through our trusted 3rd party payment processors ,WESTERN UNION Transfer Services .You can visit any WESTERN UNION Agent Location or online at www.westernunion.com

The fees should be payable to finance agent XXXXXXX : Raquel Mendez :

RECEIVER'S NAME: Raquel Mendez
1 Calle los Poblados
28033 Madrid
Spain

Once the payment is made,kindly email the payment MTCN reference number given to you by WESTERN UNION and the sender's name address and contact number to
(jennifer-XXXXXX@ups.claims.ir ). Upon confirmation of payment we shall process and release the package for delivery immediately .

Jennifer

*(My respone to the response email)*

Hello Jennifer,

How much money (usd) are they charging for this arcade cartridge to be released? How specifically do I pay the fees on western union? I have only sent payments via PayPal before.

Thank you very much for your time.
Larry Holbrook

*(The second response email)*

UPS®Customer Services
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta , GA 30328

Larry Holbrook

The coverage cost in USD is $163 USD

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience however the tax imposed is out of our control and requested by authorities.

We understand you might not want to disclose your credit card details over the internet or the phone so Kindly make payment through our trusted 3rd party payment processors ,WESTERN UNION Transfer Services .You can visit any WESTERN UNION Agent Location or online at www.westernunion.com

The fees should be payable to finance agent XXXXXXX : Raquel Mendez :

RECEIVER'S NAME: Raquel Mendez
1 Calle los Poblados
28033 Madrid
Spain

Once the payment is made,kindly email the payment MTCN reference number given to you by WESTERN UNION and the sender's name address and contact number to
(jennifer-XXXXXX@ups.claims.ir ). Upon confirmation of payment we shall process and release the package for delivery immediately .

Jennifer

UPS.CLAIMS.IR is NOT ups.

It's a subdomain of CLAIMS.IR

Whois:
domain: claims.ir
ascii: claims.ir
remarks: (Domain Holder) Amir Ahmadi
remarks: (Domain Holder Address) Amirabad, 11th St., No. 25, 4th Floor,, Tehran, Tehran, IR
holder-c: aa871-irnic
admin-c: aa871-irnic
tech-c: to52-irnic
bill-c: to52-irnic
nserver: ns1.claims.ir
nserver: ns2.claims.ir
last-updated: 2010-10-24
source: IRNIC # Filtered

nic-hdl: aa871-irnic
person: Amir Ahmadi
e-mail: ***********@hotmail.com
address: Amirabad, 11th St., No. 25, 4th Floor,, Tehran, Tehran, IR
phone: 09354095632

nic-hdl: to52-irnic
org: Fanavarie Etelaate Towseye Saman (Mihannic)
e-mail: *****@mihannic.com

Great Phishing scam, btw...

I doubt UPS registers domains in Tehran, lol.. much less having the Admin/Tech contact using hotmail.

Last edited: