"Customs" blackmail/extorsion?

SniperElite

Kula's Candy
Hello gentlemen,

I sold IDCHAPPY "Ian" Zupapa and Garou MVS carts. Both packages were stopped by customs. Ian was able to pick up the Zupapa with a small customs fee and I was sent the following emails. (Both carts were sent USPS Priority flat rate cardboard mailer)

All I have to say is WTF? Anyone heard of this before?

BTW, I will not pay the fee and I refunded Ian for the cart! It's unfortunate, but I don't think I will ship internationally again. I’m just glad this was not an expensive PCB or something... $60 is enough! I'm not a rich man sorry to say.

**Sorry about the hard read**

*(First email sent to me)*

UPS®Corporate Headquarters55 Glenlake Parkway, NEAtlanta , GA 30328Final NoticeDear Customer, This is to notify you that your package has been intercepted and is temporarily being held in transit in Spain .The delivery process has been suspended for the following reasons.1. It has been detected that your package contains taxable items .2. In line with new laws, items transiting through the EU are to be fully taxed and are subject to postal inspection by transitting postal authorities. Concluding the verification on the package it has been ascertained that adequate tax was not paid on the package. Your name and email address were on the package for contact details. The contents have been ascertained as a non-risk item,however under new laws any package transiting through the EU is liable to full tax coverage payment.The sender did pay the appropriate courier fee but did not state the true value of the contents of the package .We are therefore requesting you pay full tax for the coverage of Ђ119 Euros on the package. In order for your package to be released, you are obligated to pay the due tax on the contents of the packageYou should therefore contact your assigned claims Officer, Carl Brooks to assist with the tax payment inSpain ,where your package is currently being heldWhile we wait to receive from you the tax File Number to enable us forwardyour package to your address. Below is the contact information of your assigned claimsOfficer. Name: Mr. Carl BrooksEmail address:carl-brooks@ups.claims.irTel: 1-XXX-XXX XXXX Note:tax coverage fees are payable to Spanish authorities through your assigned claims Officer.UPS® does not accept fees on behalf of foreign authorities. Once you receive your tax File Number, kindly forward file number orscanned document to your assigned claims Officer for onward delivery to UPS®.When making contact with your assigned claims officer via email or phone please quote reference XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and a confirmation of your name and address for for swift location of package details. The status of your package can be tracked as soon as payment has been confirmed Soon as we have received the required tax payment We shall forward yourpackage to its destination. Copyright © 1994-2010 UPS® , Inc. All rights reserved.

*(The return email I sent back)*

Hello Mr. Brooks,

My name is Lawrence Holbrook and I received this notice, but it was sent to my spam (Junk) folder, hence the slight delay in response.

I sold a "Garou MVS" (Arcade cartridge) to Ian at "insert address". I paid $62 usd for it off of eBay and sold it to him for $60 usd as I stated on the customs declarations form I filled out.

It is held in Spain from what this notification is telling me and I would like it released. I sent him another Arcade cartridge that was also held in customs. He told me that he just paid the customs fees and it was released to him about a week ago.

I called the phone number provided in this email and have left 2 messages for you, once yesterday and once this morning.

If you could please help me resolve this issue at getting my friends game released I would be truly grateful. Thank you so very much for your time sir! My phone number is as follows: 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX

Thanks again!
Take care!
Larry Holbrook

*(This is the response email)*

UPS®Customer Services
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta , GA 30328

Larry Holbrook

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience however the tax imposed is out of our control and requested by authorities.

We understand you might not want to disclose your credit card details over the internet or the phone so Kindly make payment through our trusted 3rd party payment processors ,WESTERN UNION Transfer Services .You can visit any WESTERN UNION Agent Location or online at www.westernunion.com

The fees should be payable to finance agent XXXXXXX : Raquel Mendez :

RECEIVER'S NAME: Raquel Mendez
1 Calle los Poblados
28033 Madrid
Spain

Once the payment is made,kindly email the payment MTCN reference number given to you by WESTERN UNION and the sender's name address and contact number to
(jennifer-XXXXXX@ups.claims.ir ). Upon confirmation of payment we shall process and release the package for delivery immediately .

Jennifer

*(My respone to the response email)*

Hello Jennifer,

How much money (usd) are they charging for this arcade cartridge to be released? How specifically do I pay the fees on western union? I have only sent payments via PayPal before.

Thank you very much for your time.
Larry Holbrook

*(The second response email)*

UPS®Customer Services
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta , GA 30328

Larry Holbrook

The coverage cost in USD is $163 USD

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience however the tax imposed is out of our control and requested by authorities.

We understand you might not want to disclose your credit card details over the internet or the phone so Kindly make payment through our trusted 3rd party payment processors ,WESTERN UNION Transfer Services .You can visit any WESTERN UNION Agent Location or online at www.westernunion.com

1 Calle los Poblados
28033 Madrid
Spain

Once the payment is made,kindly email the payment MTCN reference number given to you by WESTERN UNION and the sender's name address and contact number to
(jennifer-XXXXXX@ups.claims.ir ). Upon confirmation of payment we shall process and release the package for delivery immediately .

Jennifer

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
This took my breath away and leaves me in disbelief....
It actually looks like some sort of scam......
JUST WTF?!
BB

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
UPS for you, biggest scam when it comes to international posting. Everytime I see a seller shipping with UPS I always skip the item/deal. I got burned enough times with them. 25$ brokeage fee bullshit plus custom/taxes.
But never as bas as a 163$ custom tax fee on a 60$ dollar item, wtf!

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
I was once told by the post master here, that when they open a package they sometimes refer to ebay to check the value of an item. Maybe it got based off an AES cart instead of a MVS one.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I saw the "To catch a scam artist" episode Chris Hanson did. Stuff like this seems to happen in foreign shipping hubs all the time. The foreign workers sell the shipped items or ask for fees or taxes.

magnus_101

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This is definately a scam of some sort,it's always the recipient that cops the extra charges not the sender.Lots of sellers on ebay list that they will ship worldwide but have exclusions listed with Spain usually one of the exclusions which i would hazard a guess they have run into similar scams like the one you describe.Am i to understand that should you not pay these bullshit extra taxes and fees you now forfiet the item you sent?

I had an issue with a Ketsui PCB that I sold to a buyer in France. It took a couple of weeks e-mailing back and forth but we finally got it resolved. I was dealing directly with the French officials though, and with the buyer's help. The fact that you're going through UPS as an intermediate is not a good thing.

It's bullshit if they don't return the parcel to the sender though, if the recipient won't cover the taxes.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Isn't IDCHAPPY located in UK? So what the hell is your package doing in Spain? This definitely sound like a scam. You probably should contact him to help you through negotiating with UK officials, not Spain.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
LOL, here is one that was sent to me recently:

IP:
server location:
Nassau in Bahamas
ISP:
Tailor Made Servers
Tel: 678-701 8046

UPS®Customer Services
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta , GA 30328

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that the delivery of your shipment has been suspended for the following reaon.

1. In line with new laws, items transiting through the EU are to be fully taxed and are subject to postal inspection by transitting postal authorities.

Concluding the inspection on the package it has been ascertained that adequate duties was not paid on the package.

Your name and email address were on the package for contact details.

Under new laws any package transiting through the EU is liable to full duties

payment.The sender did pay the appropriate courier fee but did not pay adequate duties on the package

the package .We are therefore requesting you pay full duty for the coverage of (Ђ) 119 Euros on the package.

To resume delivery, you are obligated to pay the duties on the contents of the package
You should therefore contact your assigned claims Officer, Jennifer Watson to assist with the duty payment in
Spain ,where your package is currently being held
Below is the contact information of your assigned claims
Officer.

Name: Jennifer Watson
Email address:jennifer-watson@ups.claims.ir

Note: Duty coverage fees are payable to authorities through your assigned claims Officer.UPS® does not accept fees on behalf of foreign authorities.

When making contact with your assigned claims officer via email or phone please quote reference ES65432236458 and a confirmation of your name and address for for swift location of package details.

The status of your package can be tracked as soon as payment has been confirmed

Is this just some type of scam?

Why would the sender ever pay the recipient's import duties?

Both letters involve both Spain and exactly 119 Euros. How are they getting the senders info?

Last edited:

Fritz

15 Year Member
Is this just some type of scam?

Why would the sender ever pay the recipient's import duties?

Both letters involve both Spain and exactly 119 Euros. How are they getting the senders info?

Its a scam for sure. Besides the grammar mistakes, odd writing style and other red flags, the IP info is usually a good place to start.

IP:
server location:
Nassau in Bahamas

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
But how do those guys get the shipping data if this is a scam?

I have had possibly 200 international transactions (mainly on ebay) within the last 10 years and i never had a single problem with one of them.

It is quite common that an international shipment gets stopped at customs, but only at customs in the receiving country.
The customs then request an invoice from the buyer and here in Germany you have to pay another 19% of the value as fees.
These fees are always to be paid by the buyer and not by the seller.

This sounds really fishy to me!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Rule of thumb: A serious business will never use western union for any sort of money transfer.

Fritz

15 Year Member
They didn't get my shipping info, I have not even used UPS for several years to ship anything. They probably do it with the usual phishing tactics, cookie exploits, etc.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Isn't IDCHAPPY located in UK? So what the hell is your package doing in Spain? This definitely sound like a scam. You probably should contact him to help you through negotiating with UK officials, not Spain.

This was what confused us both :conf:. In my mind it should have went nowhere near spain.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The fact that they ask you to pay through Western Union basically proves that this is a scam. Perhaps someone intercepted the package and is now trying to make some cash.

Customs are different in each country, but I would assume that they usually concentrate on checking the value of laptops, mobile phones and other new items but not on assessing the collector's value of vintage video games.

SniperElite

Kula's Candy
LOL, here is one that was sent to me recently:

Tel: 678-701 8046

Name: Jennifer Watson
Email address:jennifer-watson@ups.claims.ir

The telephone # and email match with mine brother! :rolleyes:

This is a scam for sure! They must have intercepted Garou at some point, and somehow obtained my email address to blackmail me.

I shipped them via "USPS" not UPS, and my email address was never on the package for contact details!

I am going to contact USPS tomorrow to see if they can be of any assistance.
I really doubt they will since there was no tracking on the parcel, but at least I will be able to notify them of the incident.

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hello gentlemen,

I sold IDCHAPPY "Ian" Zupapa and Garou MVS carts. Both packages were stopped by customs. Ian was able to pick up the Zupapa with a small customs fee and I was sent the following emails. (Both carts were sent USPS Priority flat rate cardboard mailer)

All I have to say is WTF? Anyone heard of this before?

BTW, I will not pay the fee and I refunded Ian for the cart! It's unfortunate, but I don't think I will ship internationally again. I’m just glad this was not an expensive PCB or something... $60 is enough! I'm not a rich man sorry to say.

**Sorry about the hard read**

*(First email sent to me)*

UPS®Corporate Headquarters55 Glenlake Parkway, NEAtlanta , GA 30328Final NoticeDear Customer, This is to notify you that your package has been intercepted and is temporarily being held in transit in Spain .The delivery process has been suspended for the following reasons.1. It has been detected that your package contains taxable items .2. In line with new laws, items transiting through the EU are to be fully taxed and are subject to postal inspection by transitting postal authorities. Concluding the verification on the package it has been ascertained that adequate tax was not paid on the package. Your name and email address were on the package for contact details. The contents have been ascertained as a non-risk item,however under new laws any package transiting through the EU is liable to full tax coverage payment.The sender did pay the appropriate courier fee but did not state the true value of the contents of the package .We are therefore requesting you pay full tax for the coverage of Ђ119 Euros on the package. In order for your package to be released, you are obligated to pay the due tax on the contents of the packageYou should therefore contact your assigned claims Officer, Carl Brooks to assist with the tax payment inSpain ,where your package is currently being heldWhile we wait to receive from you the tax File Number to enable us forwardyour package to your address. Below is the contact information of your assigned claimsOfficer. Name: Mr. Carl BrooksEmail address:carl-brooks@ups.claims.irTel: 1-XXX-XXX XXXX Note:tax coverage fees are payable to Spanish authorities through your assigned claims Officer.UPS® does not accept fees on behalf of foreign authorities. Once you receive your tax File Number, kindly forward file number orscanned document to your assigned claims Officer for onward delivery to UPS®.When making contact with your assigned claims officer via email or phone please quote reference XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and a confirmation of your name and address for for swift location of package details. The status of your package can be tracked as soon as payment has been confirmed Soon as we have received the required tax payment We shall forward yourpackage to its destination. Copyright © 1994-2010 UPS® , Inc. All rights reserved.

*(The return email I sent back)*

Hello Mr. Brooks,

My name is Lawrence Holbrook and I received this notice, but it was sent to my spam (Junk) folder, hence the slight delay in response.

I sold a "Garou MVS" (Arcade cartridge) to Ian at "insert address". I paid $62 usd for it off of eBay and sold it to him for $60 usd as I stated on the customs declarations form I filled out.

It is held in Spain from what this notification is telling me and I would like it released. I sent him another Arcade cartridge that was also held in customs. He told me that he just paid the customs fees and it was released to him about a week ago.

I called the phone number provided in this email and have left 2 messages for you, once yesterday and once this morning.

If you could please help me resolve this issue at getting my friends game released I would be truly grateful. Thank you so very much for your time sir! My phone number is as follows: 1 (XXX) XXX-XXXX

Thanks again!
Take care!
Larry Holbrook

*(This is the response email)*

UPS®Customer Services
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta , GA 30328

Larry Holbrook

1 Calle los Poblados
28033 Madrid
Spain

Jennifer

*(My respone to the response email)*

Hello Jennifer,

How much money (usd) are they charging for this arcade cartridge to be released? How specifically do I pay the fees on western union? I have only sent payments via PayPal before.

Thank you very much for your time.
Larry Holbrook

*(The second response email)*

UPS®Customer Services
55 Glenlake Parkway, NE
Atlanta , GA 30328

Larry Holbrook

The coverage cost in USD is $163 USD

1 Calle los Poblados
28033 Madrid
Spain

Jennifer

what the..... incredible...

Mokum

Real Time User Mokum,
Sbrotfl! This is all I've got to say.

Definitely a scam.

sylphia

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Definitively a scam.
Best thing to do in my opinion is to get in touch with both USPS and Royal Mail in the UK, forwarding the emails you have received. There is no reason for an item sent from the US to the UK to be blocked at the spanish customs...
Do you have any tracking number to check what is going on ?

Good luck.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You're having terrible luck lately IDCHAPPY...sorry man!

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
So i guess that it´s likely that this mail has nothing to do with actual parcel being sent overseas.
Seems like just a coincidence and the game should arrive without any hassle, apart from being possibly held at customs in the receiving country.

Best thing to do seems just to wait and do nothing. I hope that it works out fine for you guys.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Luis
13 Nov 2010I recived this letter at the same time I got some issues with DHL and the US Costoms, so I got full by the scammer and send my private information to them, fortunately I stop the payments from my debit card and I requested a new debit card with different number.

This is the letter I recived from the scammer:
UPS®Corporate Headquarters55 Glenlake Parkway, NEAtlanta , GA 30328Final NoticeDear Customer, This is to notify you that your package has been intercepted and is temporarily being held in transit in Spain .The delivery process has been suspended for the following reasons.1. It has been detected that your package contains taxable items .2. In line with new laws, items transiting through the EU are to be fully taxed and are subject to postal inspection by transitting postal authorities. Concluding the verification on the package it has been ascertained that adequate tax was not paid on the package. Your name and email address were on the package for contact details. The contents have been ascertained as a non-risk item,however under new laws any package transiting through the EU is liable to full tax coverage payment.The sender did pay the appropriate courier fee but did not state the true value of the contents of the package .We are therefore requesting you pay full tax for the coverage of $119 USD on the package. In order for your package to be released, you are obligated to pay the due tax on the contents of the packageYou should therefore contact your assigned claims Officer, Carl Brooks to assist with the tax payment inSpain ,where your package is currently being heldWhile we wait to receive from you the tax File Number to enable us forwardyour package to your address. Below is the contact information of your assigned claimsOfficer. Name: Mr. Carl BrooksEmail address:carl-brooks@ups.claims.irTel: 1-678-701 8046 Note:tax coverage fees are payable to Spanish authorities through your assigned claims Officer.UPS® does not accept fees on behalf of foreign authorities. Once you receive your tax File Number, kindly forward file number orscanned document to your assigned claims Officer for onward delivery to UPS®.When making contact with your assigned claims officer via email or phone please quote reference 1ZE821040376463764 and a confirmation of your name and address for for swift location of package details. The status of your package can be tracked as soon as payment has been confirmed Soon as we have received the required tax payment We shall forward yourpackage to its destination. Copyright © 1994-2010 UPS® , Inc. All rights reserved.

All looks familar eh Larry? dirty bastards :very_ang:.
These crooks are so clever these days, i bet alot of less tech savvy folk would just pay up :oh_no: