SF3: Third Strike Online Edition

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Chun Li's low mk, back fp, neutral fp, low hk, standing hk and jumping hk all stuff the brothers dive kick depending on the angle and distance. Plus she can combo her monster SA2 from 3 of these moves. She's got great defence against the pressure especially compared to alot of the other characters.

Third Strike is not an easy a fighting game to learn, it has very strict timing unlike more modern games. While Yang is easier that some to learn he is not an "easy mode" character. Saying that you can become proficient with him in 20 minutes is ridiculous. His stamina is low, his wake up game is non existant, and he's only any use when very close to his oponent. Playing a ranged poking game with him is almost always undesireable.

Last edited:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Chun Li's low mk, back fp, neutral fp, low hk, standing hk and jumping hk all stuff the brothers dive kick depending on the angle and distance. Plus she can combo her monster SA2 from 3 of these moves. She's got great defence against the pressure especially compared to alot of the other characters.

Third Strike is not an easy a fighting game to learn, it has very strict timing unlike more modern games. While Yang is easier that some to learn he is not an "easy mode" character. Saying that you can become proficient with him in 20 minutes is ridiculous. His stamina is low, his wake up game is non existant, and he's only any use when very close to his oponent. Playing a ranged poking game with him is almost always undesireable.

!??

I think Yang would be alot easier to use if he didn't have that goddamm QCF Kick move. I have to concentrate really hard to stop it coming out by accident when going from any kick to mantis slash combo, particularly light kicks. If you do the kick move by accident you will get shit upon by anyone good. I hate negative edge input errors.

i don't think you know much about the twins and their dive kicks and how to use them properly

i don't really think i want to hear the opinion (or getting contradicted) on yang or chun or anything third strike related from someone who can't pull off cr mk xx tourouzan without messing up

i was already pretty good with yun
yang is all about the mix-ups
tourouzans,zenpou tenshin,overhead,regular throw
if you are good at third strike and know how to use the dive kicks..
there is nothing even remotely difficult to learn with yang

i don't even know why i'm explaining this to you :emb:

Last edited:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
!??

i don't think you know much about the twins and their dive kicks and how to use them properly

i don't really think i want to hear the opinion (or getting contradicted) on yang or chun or anything third strike related from someone who can't pull off cr mk xx tourouzan without messing up

i was already pretty good with yun
yang is all about the mix-ups
tourouzans,zenpou tenshin,overhead,regular throw
if you are good at third strike and know how to use the dive kicks..
there is nothing even remotely difficult to learn with yang

i don't even know why i'm explaining this to you :emb:

You're right, I don't need it explained to me.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Negative edge has been around for 20 years. It shouldn't still be messing you up.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Negative edge has been around for 20 years. It shouldn't still be messing you up.

It's only a problem for me on cetain characters with combos that start from lp or lk, Yang gives me the most trouble by far. I use a pad and they aren't as good as sticks for certain aspects of play. I use every character in the game so my experience is spread a bit thin.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
O

Is 3S considered an execution heavy game? I have a harder time with stuff in SF4 than I do in 3S. There are exceptions like a Tachi Gigas or something but most stuff is pretty manageable.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The best part about all of this discussion is that we are getting to play the game online real soon and then we'll see who the fuck is who on the arena. Talk is cheap but so is winning and I'm all about the cheapness, you're all going down, specially Fran and moonwhistle, I want to mop the floor with them two. Write it down, spread posters about it everywhere, hype it up and then when the time comes film the shit and spread it on youtube like all the online goons that have done it before when they found themselves with broken spirits after facing the pride of the Cobra Kai Dojo.

I'll take you all on! All of you will witness what true power is made out of...

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
It's only a problem for me on cetain characters with combos that start from lp or lk, Yang gives me the most trouble by far. I use a pad and they aren't as good as sticks for certain aspects of play. I use every character in the game so my experience is spread a bit thin.

:lolz:

of course you were all bitter about the "20 minutes" comment
20 years wouldn't be enough for you
i'm talking about the insane combo : "cr lk xx ex mantis / tourouzans"

again,i have nothing against you in particular
but you want to talk about chun vs twins and you can't even cancel a normal into a special

in any case,chun is weak against dive kicks because she hasn't got a shoryu or anything like that
if you use them properly with the right angle / direction / etc
she really can't do much about it

chuns probably always punish you with blocking > sa II when you dive kick
because you don't know how to use them properly

remember what i said ? if you are familiar with third strike and already know how to play the game..
then picking up yang is ultra-easy

that is clearly not your case

The best part about all of this discussion is that we are getting to play the game online real soon and then we'll see who the fuck is who on the arena. Talk is cheap but so is winning and I'm all about the cheapness, you're all going down, specially Fran and moonwhistle, I want to mop the floor with them two. Write it down, spread posters about it everywhere, hype it up and then when the time comes film the shit and spread it on youtube like all the online goons that have done it before when they found themselves with broken spirits after facing the pride of the Cobra Kai Dojo.

nice "tongue in cheek" post !

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I use a pad and they aren't as good as sticks for certain aspects of play.

Personally I don't think pads aren't as good as sticks for any aspect of play whatsoever. Oh you poor sap, I remember you acting like an asshole way back about a 3rd strike thread I made. You were a real jerk then, I'm not saying that you are a jerk now but I'm definitely looking foward to put you down.

In case anyone is wondering; Yes! I am looking for a fight, what? What?!

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
EG your name eludes to more then you realize... however after playing me you might want to change it to ShallowGrave... 'cause thats where Im going to leave your broken body. Youtube upload feature is too good.. no more can people deny anything after getting lambasted.

Oh, and fuck people who cry cheap over anything. I'll throw someone 20 times in a row if they let me... it's their fault for letting me.

I dont even own a stick but I guess Im going to have to invest in one and finally get comfortable playing with a lapdog. Honestly, If I cannot play on an arcade cab then I am more comfortable playing with a pad as that is what some of us grew up playing on the SNES (remember the HORI 6 button?) when we were too broke to go to the arcades. Still have some of the cheesy PS2 Nuby Street Fighter Hologram pads and convertors so whatevs.. can always fall back on that.

Im with you on that Fran... arcade will always be king IMO and I will never sell my CPS3 set-up. Still though, this offers a rare opportunity to be able to get some new competition with people you might otherwise never play. I get sick of playing with the same guys and realistically if you play with the same few people too much you start to develop habits and familiarities, which can be bad when fighting other people... so Im pretty excited about this coming out.

Last edited:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
:lolz:

of course you were all bitter about the "20 minutes" comment
20 years wouldn't be enough for you
i'm talking about the insane combo : "cr lk xx ex mantis / tourouzans"

again,i have nothing against you in particular
but you want to talk about chun vs twins and you can't even cancel a normal into a special

in any case,chun is weak against dive kicks because she hasn't got a shoryu or anything like that
if you use them properly with the right angle / direction / etc
she really can't do much about it

chuns probably always punish you with blocking > sa II when you dive kick
because you don't know how to use them properly

remember what i said ? if you are familiar with third strike and already know how to play the game..
then picking up yang is ultra-easy

that is clearly not your case

nice "tongue in cheek" post !

Well unlike you I'm not gonna talk trash about others knowledge of the game or ability level. I never claimed to be great at the game. I'm merely ok with the full cast.

Even Japanese pros have an extremely hard time getting in on chun using dive kicks. If even one gets paried when she's got meter they are losing half their life and will often lose alot more trying to get back off the floor without getting thrown to death or supered again. The risk for Yun is less as he can do alot more damage after a successful dive kick, Yang has to take all that risk just to land an ex mantis combo. The numbers just aren't in his favour against her.

Also a shoryu is little use against a good Yun using dive kicks, the risk is barely worth it considering how little damage they do. Parrying into a super is easier and does way more damage.

Personally I don't think pads aren't as good as sticks for any aspect of play whatsoever. Oh you poor sap, I remember you acting like an asshole way back about a 3rd strike thread I made. You were a real jerk then, I'm not saying that you are a jerk now but I'm definitely looking foward to put you down.

In case anyone is wondering; Yes! I am looking for a fight, what? What?!

While I may have acted like an asshole then I still think you hold the monopoly on that particular skill. Oh and yes I'm taking your lead on the trash talk so it'll be more fun to play when 3S online lands. Hopefully we'll actually be able to play lag wise. Bare in mind I'll use random select as both a taunt when I win and an excuse when I lose. It's a win win tactic. ;)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I use a pad. I beat tons of stick players, too. Even get hate mail from them. I like getting hate mail from the ones I beat demanding I learn to use a stick. Like I didn't use a stick the 15 years I played in an arcade.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
That shit kills me too... I dont understand it. When I used to have people over to my house in addition to the cabs we would have a set up on the TV... I would always use my pads and dudes would always try to clown. And then they'd get beat and fall back on stuff like "well, if you go to a tournament and use a pad hella people will make fun of you"... what?! That's more reason to use a pad in my opinion...

Getting hate mail after beating people is the best... a clear sign you have ruined someones night.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
EG your name eludes to more then you realize... however after playing me you might want to change it to ShallowGrave... 'cause thats where Im going to leave your broken body.

Oh it's on, I'm gonna do countless heel kicks and swing all over the screen like there's no tomorrow, only then you will see what a Tango truly is...

Hey as far as the whole pad vs stick fiasco, all I have to say is this. Personally (again) I find pads to be lacking for arcade games but if that rocks your boat by all means pad away. I want you fighting at your best, I want you fighting with your best, no mercy, no excuses. Winning is all...

...ok learning is good and sharing with you guys is fun, but I'm here for keeps!

Last edited:

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
hahah.... this is going to be so good.

You might think your back direction doesn't work and you can't block after getting chariot tackled into oblivion countless times. But no pausing the game to pretend you are checking your microswitches when you are really screaming into a pillow.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The only screaming to be heard will be coming from all the sleepless nights you'll endure after an apocaliptic crushing defeat, I will carve my knuckles on your fragile chest for the rest of your days. My will is like an ever flowing stream and yours will be cut short by the sharpness of my overwhelming flurries.

This goes to all of you as well. Face me and face death itself, I will paint the screen with all your regrets including your most recent regret, the greatest of all, the regret that comes along the day you face me in combat!

So, my aura is bursting with all kinds of hues. I am going to be playing some HDR (there's no hope for you cats to face me on this) and SSF4AE (to give you all a fair chance at survival 'cause I'm green on this still) so look me up if you wanna play some games in the mean time. Tag is electricgrave on both networks.

Last edited:

Dong Hwan

n00b
I missed this gem. No way is Alex the easiest character. Dude has horrible matchups.
maybe i should have explained it better.

i was referring to how easy is to learn the character decently enough, i mean, with him you COULD learn how to charge partitioning and something else, but in the end if the alex player knows a bit the game he can win, sure with a lot more effort than the other characters.

furthermore, when you start the game, he is the selected character by default... perhaps this doesn't mean anything, but i always thinked there was a reason for that = a chara for beginners.

am i wrong? personally i think i'll main him in 3soe, not sure bout the results but i just like the character so i'll play with him.

he's got stamina, power and range in his attacks. plus he has easy combos, not many ones, but easy.

correct me if i'm wrong.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
maybe i should have explained it better.

i was referring to how easy is to learn the character decently enough, i mean, with him you COULD learn how to charge partitioning and something else, but in the end if the alex player knows a bit the game he can win, sure with a lot more effort than the other characters.

furthermore, when you start the game, he is the selected character by default... perhaps this doesn't mean anything, but i always thinked there was a reason for that = a chara for beginners.

am i wrong? personally i think i'll main him in 3soe, not sure bout the results but i just like the character so i'll play with him.

he's got stamina, power and range in his attacks. plus he has easy combos, not many ones, but easy.

correct me if i'm wrong.

While Alex has got good stamina, great ex moves, decent normals and a superb mix up game against floored oponents, I think what really hurts him is the total lack of any combos from a low attack. While all his supers are ok, none of them are great and his meter is much better reserved for EXs.

You're right though, I think he is fairly easy to learn. He's got alot of bad match ups though and has to work very hard not be too predicatable.

I think Ryu is the ultimate easy mode character.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The reason Alex is selected first is because he's the main character in the SFIII series. Learning Alex's moves is easy, but his combos are situational and some are character dependant. The reason people say Yang is easy mode is because you can learn simple combos and win against the majority of the cast without thinking too much. Alex is the opposite - you have to be thinking a lot, and read your opponent perfectly for the real bad matchups. Alex is not an easy character.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Alex is my easiest character to win matches with. Hes pretty aggro and easily mix up friendly. His tick game is sick, everything he can do is sick. His counter matches make him have a really hard time. I personally feel he has a lot going for him vs Urien.