SF3: Third Strike Online Edition

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
okay so they have announced there will be DLC however they are not revealing much about it yet. The first link is the dumb "let me good that for you" bullshit my friend originally sent me;
http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=third+strike+online+edition+dlc?

This is the link everyone needs to watch, the third strike online demo starts at around 10:30. At 14:10 the dude mentions in-game unlockables and a shit load of them at that. At 16:10 he goes to the main menu and you can see "Downloadable Content" as an option....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SmTWn2wiNk&feature=player_detailpage#t=1121s

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
pfft, 90% of yun players are gonna be ass. It takes a stupid amount of dedication to BE a good yun anyways. Most people can't even hit confirm with ken. This is the SFIV generation we'll mostly be stomping grounds with.

Any patternistic footsies are getting punished. 3S isnt a easy footsie game.
Also, EG. I'd use only one character.

Last edited:

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
No doubt, it takes a good amount of dedication to become really good with anyone, certainly cant argue with that... but that's not really the point. My point is that the majority of Yun's implement the same attack patterns, the same strategies, the same set-ups and so on. How often do you fight a Yun who doesnt employ the Genei-Jin? It's just a bore to play the same character all the time regardless of who is actually is playing him... Granted, we are talking about a 14 year old game, all of whoms characters have been thoroughly researched and exploited but there still is enough room for players to develop their own unique styles within each characters confines. But watching any video of a high level Yun, they all are the same and there is nothing, at least that I can see, that sets one player apart from the next. Stylistically.

Last edited:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
But watching any video of a high level Yun, they all are the same and there is nothing, at least that I can see, that sets one player apart from the next. Stylistically.

the "awww i'm gonna have to fight yuns / chuns / kens" comment was pretty lame
but i just couldn't help quoting this
you are obviously not very much into third strike,and that's okay
but,please,stop writing silly things

every yun has a unique playstyle and same goes for every necro or urien...whatever
it's true in every fighting game but particularly so in 3rd strike
mester,yakkun,nitto,naitsu,etc etc
they all have their own style and they all use yun in very different way
you talk about gj (who would have thought),
but a good 70 / 80 % of yun is about what he does when NOT in gj
and,in any case,those players i just mentioned don't even use the same gj combos or finishers..

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Yun is hard to be good. That's why most yun's are complete garbage.

Yun is a expert level character and experienced work goes into using him.
There's so many things you need to know for the best examples.

yun and urien are the two most technical characters in 3S IMO.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
No doubt, it takes a good amount of dedication to become really good with anyone, certainly cant argue with that... but that's not really the point. My point is that the majority of Yun's implement the same attack patterns, the same strategies, the same set-ups and so on. How often do you fight a Yun who doesnt employ the Genei-Jin? It's just a bore to play the same character all the time regardless of who is actually is playing him... Granted, we are talking about a 14 year old game, all of whoms characters have been thoroughly researched and exploited but there still is enough room for players to develop their own unique styles within each characters confines. But watching any video of a high level Yun, they all are the same and there is nothing, at least that I can see, that sets one player apart from the next. Stylistically.

Well that isn't at all true to be honest man. Its belief based on watching videos. I don't think you get what actually makes a yun. I'd say that the majority of what you believe is based on entirely limited experience with this game. Genei jin does NOT define a great Yun. Its aspect of Yun.

Fran beat me to it, but he makes a strong view of the majority of differences in Yun's.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Oh my bad... when did we meet? I cant seem to remember you? You don't know a thing about me so dont make assumptions little bopper.... Ive been playing third strike since it came out, well before it became popular and found a renewed interest with the fighting game community.

All those people you mentioned... I couldn't care less about any of them. I speak only from personal experience and from playing matches with people... not from watching youtube videos and dick-riding.

Don't try to discredit people whom you don't know... lots of people here pander to you like some video game god but I dont give a shit about any of that.

Genei-Jin is only one facet of my claim... and who cares if everyone does it differently? Thats not even close to the point I was making. Im not going to argue with you about it because frankly I dont care enough to... everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I don't feel the need to defend mine to you. I will only say that I live in the Bay Area which has always been known for its class of fighting game enthusiasts since way back in the day. Again... dont assume things of people

Last edited:

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
I was replying back to Fran, BTW dude. I dont play Yun... never have. So yeah my knowledge is limited with him certainly... but with the game as a whole? Certainly not. I think I made it clear that Yun is problematic for me and I find him boring to fight against. No need to dissect every word I write, everyone has their own interpretation... I think Yun sucks. Not because he is a shitty character, not because he is easy to learn and not for any reasons you guys are surmising... I think he sucks because I am sick to death of playing against carbon copies of him endlessly.

LWK-- I just re-read your post... why are you dudes clinging to the genei-jin theory? I said that more often then not any Yun you play against uses Genei-Jin... true? But that was never the backbone of my argument. And for its worth... I dont watch youtube videos of matches. Never have... honestly they bore the shit out of me. I used the video watching reference to try to appeal to you by making a point.

You guys dont agree? Cool... no problem. When this game drops though I'll be looking forward to playing both of you.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I played many yun's. In cali exists a guy named pyrolee, his yun is very strong. No other Yun here compares, and its like not at all the same. Maybe 3S isn't your game then.

Yun is problematic because when he activates genei jin, you are practically guarantee'd to be cmd grabbed by him regardless of how strong your defense is.
japan rule: if yun gets three genei jin's, yun wins no matter what

Yun isn't easy to learn either. He takes incredible dedication. You need to know the best and most damaging enders. You need to calculate risk. Most yun's don't even use kara palms in tourneys. You know KO's enders? You need to know that at least to further damage? Why? It headstarts your meter, and gets you in a new genei jin position fairly faster. All the tiny details go into this. No matter what his place is on the tier list, he requires insane knowledge to excel with. Garbage yun's and genei jin's get wiped out fairly fast. Real one's are not so easy.
A yun not utilized properly, does stupid shit and doesn't dish out the damage or meter resets.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So what have we learned here?

It takes skill to get good with a character.

Scrubs get beat fairly easily.

Can't wait for the game.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
LWK-- I just re-read your post... why are you dudes clinging to the genei-jin theory? I said that more often then not any Yun you play against uses Genei-Jin... true? But that was never the backbone of my argument. And for its worth... I dont watch youtube videos of matches. Never have... honestly they bore the shit out of me. I used the video watching reference to try to appeal to you by making a point.

You guys dont agree? Cool... no problem. When this game drops though I'll be looking forward to playing both of you.

This doesn't make sense. You took a strong stance about the three characters, but you haven't watched videos on why this is? I don't get it. Then your view has to be based on hearsay or something. I think you just dislike the character, and I understand. I've played the best Yun in cali with Urien, and believe me man, I hate that match to, as Urien's crouching guard is his worst enemy in that match, but lets be fair here.

If you're playing carbon copies of the same yun, you should be beating those players. Real Yun players are not as similar as you want to believe.

Here is the issue, you said this earlier: My point is that the majority of Yun's implement the same attack patterns, the same strategies, the same set-ups and so on.

That isn't true. Good Yun's build meter off distance normal spamming and unique pressure, not 123 confirm genei jin. That crap gets red parried on block these days. If that isn't hitting by wp wk< here you're in some danger these days.

I hate this example you use also, because its like saying 'oh boo hoo, there are dominant supers'. Who the hell wants to use a tyrant slaughter urien? I sure don't. 80% of his character depth is gone.

You're thinking about this on a ignorant basic level, and I'm not your enemy or nothing, but this stuff isn't right.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I think he's just talking about playing an inordinate amount of the same character, whom while you may be privy to the minute differences in how he's played at a high level, still isn't enough to keep him interested in playing against so many Yuns. The fact that most are scrubs doesn't make it any more interesting for him. I could be wrong, but that's what I got out of his statement. It really didn't warrant two guys coming in telling him he doesn't know the game and calling him ignorant.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I think he should give 3S a break. As someone who did the scene for ages, it can get tiring fighting the same characters. If you don't have that passion, I wouldn't invest to much.

3S is gonna still be 3S.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
i don't know,maybe i came off too harsh ? not my intention
but his statement was just...silly :\
it's like saying "every urien is the same : they charge meter and then throw out those mirrors"

all the new players will probably pick ken or chun anyway
yun isn't a day one / jungle strike / easy mode character
yang on the other hand..

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
yun's gj meter should be significantly longer

but it's true that most yuns you encounter will be shit, so it's not worth the belly-aching over it

chun is much easier to abuse IMO

but WHATEVER happens, i'm sure this will at the very least shit all over sf4 in terms of fun factor, so i'm be grateful

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I hope Yang is as easy as you say Fran because I want to main him.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.

Him or Makoto, I cant decide.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Yang is not easy either. Just compared to Yun, hes 'easier'.
I'd say yang is hard, and if you watch good yang's like roshi, you'll easily see why. One of his SA's is awesome. I haven't studied him extremely, but if he has character specific matches that require learning very specific 3s style things, get ready for it.

I seriously call for a one character career in 3S. people don't really get how deep and big the game is. Sometimes flat out strong mix up guessing can just annihilate you, and due to the games flexible creativity, its one of its bigger downfalls.

If you like footsies, avoid third strike and play ST. There exists no PERFECT answers in third strike like in ST.

Last edited:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I plan to be using random select when this lands. That is until I get really annoyed and switch to a good character to try and get the win.

I think Yang would be alot easier to use if he didn't have that goddamm QCF Kick move. I have to concentrate really hard to stop it coming out by accident when going from any kick to mantis slash combo, particularly light kicks. If you do the kick move by accident you will get shit upon by anyone good. I hate negative edge input errors.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Thanks Wes... I couldnt have said it better.

Truthfully yes... that is what it really boils down to. I really do not like playing Yun so as a result I do not like the character... and since I do not like the character and have never taken a moment to learn him I guess I dont, as Wes said, understand the complexities to him. But seriously, you 2 guys have blown what I said way out of proportion. To get that riled up about an off the sleeve comment is just, odd. Maybe you guys need a break from the game if it gets you that serious? Im not even trying to be a smart ass dick either...

LWK; I respect your opinion because I know you do know your shit.... so while I am actually hearing what you are saying you are also discrediting yourself by making assumptions about me having never met or played me. 3s isnt my game? I wont even defend myself against that... lots of people here in the Bay Area know and have played me. I dont need to respond to that really. I have played Pyro and the dude is a menace, no doubt. And he definitely is the strongest Yun I have ever played... But guess what? I still fucking hate Yun! I play Urien mostly so yeah, you can understand part of that at least. While I appreciate your going into further elaboration as to why Yun is not a garbage character, it just furthers my point that you have completely missed mine. It has nothing to do with any of the strats or mind games or techniques or third eye vision or anything like that. Its a personal opinion I have. Is it petty? Maybe. Do I expect others to agree with me? No.. but Im also not trying to convince anyone either. Its just an opinion...

I used to run get togethers in my house on my cabinets, sometimes with up to 30+ people and we had some of the best bay area players come regularly. Similar to what Albert used to do out of his house... Ive taken short hiatus' from 3s in the past but have never abandoned it because it is without a second consideration my favorite fighting game ever made. I dont fuck with the bullshit scene anymore though.. its gotten lame and frankly I just dont have the time. I dont go to tournaments anymore, dont watch youtube videos and I dont keep up with all the drama surrounding it. I just like to play with my group of friends and with other people who can offer a challenge and keep the game fresh and exciting. I dont mention any of this because I think it's cool, in fact it's really kind of the opposite... it is a game after all, but I embrace that. I'm mentioning it because alot of assumptions keep getting made about me.

Fran- its all good too. You didnt come off too harsh and I dont mind criticism at all, just didn't like the implication that I am talking out of my ass.

Look dudes, it was a passing comment that you guys did not like and got all worked up about and started trying to discredit my opinion as being some kind of an idiot talking out of my ass. Whatever. I havent lost any sleep over it... but just think about that shit for a minute.

This all stemmed out of being excited for this game to come out... let's get back to that instead of this petty bullshit. Im sure no one else is interested in sifting through these diatribes when reading this thread either.

With that being said... I am expecting some matches with you guys when this comes out. You cant escape.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
pfft, 90% of yun players are gonna be ass. It takes a stupid amount of dedication to BE a good yun anyways. Most people can't even hit confirm with ken. This is the SFIV generation we'll mostly be stomping grounds with.

Any patternistic footsies are getting punished. 3S isnt a easy footsie game.
Also, EG. I'd use only one character.

You're probably right, I'd probably stick with Hugo or Remy. Remy is all bout the footsies though, that and a combination of flurries and zoning. I've been doing real good with Urien though, I watched all your videos and I learned a bunch of stuff. Well maybe when this finally comes out online I'll see who's gonna be my bread and butter character 'cause in truth online play changes everything. For instance I was a Zangief and Dictator player in ST but I'm a Dee Jay and Fei-Long player in HDR, so things change once you're online and the competition gets higher.

You're also right about the SFIV crowd. SFIV is a good game but teh combo timing is very different and I think players that started playing fighting games with SFIV are going to have an adjustment period before they get proficient at the game, hell! The same thing happened to me at SFIV, I was just playing with Wes the other day and although I did better than the time we played before, I'm still very green on knowledge of the game itself, that doesn't mean that I'm not gonna catch up though. Same goes for the new SFIV players, they might start scrubby but they will eventually "get it".

I kinda wanna play Urien 'cause of his 3 button press alternate color, he looks awesome and ruthless just like me when I'm running arounf in my bandana underwear garment!!!

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
sorry,long post é_é

i have been playing this game too much for 6 years now and that's my opinion -
yes,yang is really the easiest character to use
i actually feel a little dirty inside when i use him : if you know what to do / how to play third strike and choose yang,you can win with your brain turned off
i could genuinely write 5k about it but...well,let's keep it short :

he's very effective against yun and doesn't really suffer a lot versus ken
slightly difficult against chun but you can stun her asap with 2 mix-ups and of course she has troubles against dive-kicks
he's really good against makoto and dudley and basically rapes gouki and urien for free
not bad
oh,and SAII is the perfect answer against denjin because winning against ryu wasn't easy enough as it was . really,super easy to use and does well against all the characters

apart from a few things (true kara demon,tachi gigas,kara shoryu,kara kara palms,etc) ,
stuff / combos in third strike aren't difficult at all
that said, every character has a slightly more difficult combo or a slightly more difficult *something*
well,yang doesn't
st close mp , s lk xx ex tourouzans is the hardest combo he's got
and you can learn that one in hmm 50 seconds ?
no one uses SAIII expect for roshi anyway (and rightly so)

it literally took me..20 minutes ? to become decent with yang (coming from yun)

i truly love this game but it's not rocket science,it's a 2d fighting game
and,as i said,combos aren't even hard to pull off
"40 years just to learn a character !1!!" . come on..
i can use pretty well at least 7-8 characters and i'm not nuki or m.o.v.

things might be different for people coming from sf iv,if sf iv was their first fighting game
they will never become good or "get" third strike

I am expecting some matches with you guys when this comes out. You cant escape

i'm always down for 3s,of course
problem is :
i am not american and i don't have a 360
i don't care for OE because i don't want to play online
(i'd rather play the real game on cps III without the shitty art and lame huds)
but,as i said,even if i wanted...i don't think you can play against people on the other side of the world
but yeah.. maybe when i'll visit america or if i stumble upon you guys in japan
fat chance,i know

shame because i really want to beat lwk :envy:

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
In tradition, yang is considered the worst match in the game vs urien. I hate Ken more personally though. Hit confirm's hurt Urien so bad there.