SF3: Third Strike Online Edition

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Yeah... I played that salty trash exactly one time and never again. No point.

This won't even be near the level of stupidity of GGPO though... even if they fuck it up.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Surprise, surprise - some elite player complaining about lag. Meanwhile, others are making it work doing shit like this:

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Doesn't seem to be much lag in that match. The one time Ive played it was like stop motion animation. Ridiculous.

Thing is with GGPO I found you cannot play the way you would in an arcade, you have to tailor your game and re-learn strategies that are unique to GGPO-- I'd rather not even play then change the way I would normally play and develop bad habits as a result of it.

And who cares about local play? PS2 port is close enough, this version is all about the online functionality... if they fuck that up then they wasted alot of time/money and will have let alot of people down.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
You're basing everything off of one time of playing it? Fair enough. However, there is no game that will play 100% like you would offline. That's just the way networking works at the moment. Lag happens when playing online. It's ultimately up to the user whether or not it's playable, and if Capcom's track record of having playable fighters online is any indication, it'll be very playable. This game is NOT being catered to people who live right around the block from some high level arcade. Some things just can't be replaced. At least, not with the current technology we have. The original Xbox SF Anniversary edition was extremely playable. I have no reason to believe this one won't, as well.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
GGPO sucks with third strike but is awesome with less cpu intensive games(I played sets with several top ST players in japan and was able to reversal DP and everything! even with 30+ spectators), but try supercade for third strike, www.supercade.net

The 3s port will likely be using GGPO netcode which sounds bad, but unlike the emulated version they can optimize it this time so GGPO can handle the game.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Naw, I played it a couple of times over the course of one day.... so I played it once in the sense that it was that day and never again. My boy plays it all the time and swore up and down it was legit... we tried getting better connections with a bunch of other players but I gave up after 5 or 6 matches of all the same shit. After which I just watched him lambast people over and over using karakusa grabs on (some good) players who couldn't do shit about it because the lag made it nearly invisible. So many things wrong with it... for the casual player I'm sure its totally cool... but for people who expect the game to respond in a certain manner and under certain conditions.. it just doesn't work.

Not saying that having it as an option is not cool, only that I will never play it again as it was crippling and getting good at it means changing your game to play under those specific conditions.

That being said, I am hopeful that this will be awesome. I dont really know anything about the tech side of it, but is there a possibility that one console will play better then the other? I play PS3 but am not above getting an xbox if that is going to be the ideal candidate. I plan on setting a console up in my cabinet so me and my boys can play both local and online matches on a cab.

Last edited:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
That filter looks like trouble. The MVC2 filter actually added input lag to the game, making it beyond worthless. This looks like the exact same filter. I'm sure they'll have an option to turn it off. I'm actually relieved to see they didn't change the graphics too drastically.

Regarding consoles, The xbox seems to have a better track record for Capcom fighters online. I picked one up after STHD and before SF4. It's definitely been the better option for all of the games so far, but if I could go back and do it over, not sure I'd buy the console again.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
I can almost guarantee you that the filter is not the exact same one as MVC2. 3S Online isn't being developed by Backbone Entertainment.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Hey Alec, you hooked your 360 up in your Egret 2 didn't you? I might pick your brain about how you did that when the time comes if you don't mind. I'm sure all the information is out there but if you already did it I'm sure you could explain it much better in less time then it would take for me to figure it all out.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
oh fuck yes

I am thoroughly excited now about this... I don't think the upscaler/smoothing filter looks bad at all, in fact I think it looks great. Can't wait to smash on fools when this comes out, it's going to be so much fun!

Anyone know what the youtube sharing thing is all about? I presume you can upload videos straight from the console to youtube? If that's the case then that is a pretty rad feature actually... No more can people deny win streaks!

Last edited:

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Also.... I did not see a PS3 logo at the end of that trailer and I am fairly certain they said it was going to be released cross platform but this has me a little nervous. I mean, I'll buy an XBOX if I need to but can anyone confirm it was being released for PS3 in tandem?

Also.... I did not see a PS3 logo at the end of that trailer and I am fairly certain they said it was going to be released cross platform but this has me a little nervous. I mean, I'll buy an XBOX if I need to but can anyone confirm it was being released for PS3 in tandem?

yeah I hope its on ps3 too! Hey man, who's your main in 3rd strike? I main Q & Necro.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
yeah I hope its on ps3 too! Hey man, who's your main in 3rd strike? I main Q & Necro.

Oh rad! I love playing Q'S and Necro's... I appreciate people who play the lesser seen characters. Both of those dudes are menaces in the right hands just most people just don't have the patience to take their time and learn them thoroughly. Really steep learning curve, especially with Q. One of my buddies out here has the best necro I have ever seen... no joking. Punishes everything so much to the point that it makes you scared to commit or attack him... but stay outside of range and you get poked to death.

I play primarily Urien and Oro. Hit me up on PSN and lets get some games sometime... SevenStarFist is my username. You play Super Turdbo HD remix?

Oh rad! I love playing Q'S and Necro's... I appreciate people who play the lesser seen characters. Both of those dudes are menaces in the right hands just most people just don't have the patience to take their time and learn them thoroughly. Really steep learning curve, especially with Q. One of my buddies out here has the best necro I have ever seen... no joking. Punishes everything so much to the point that it makes you scared to commit or attack him... but stay outside of range and you get poked to death.

I play primarily Urien and Oro. Hit me up on PSN and lets get some games sometime... SevenStarFist is my username. You play Super Turdbo HD remix?

Thats cool that you play Urien and Oro. Hopefully their unblockables will be present in this newest version. It's a bit funny that you say Q has a high learning curve, because to me he came pretty natural. I'm a defensive styled fighter so Q's high defense and damaging moves reeled me in right away! However in the end I agree with you on the high learning curve, because if you don't know what your doing your screwed with Q. lol
Anyways I'd love to see a vid of your friends Necro! He sounds awesome, and I wouldnt want to go up against him anytime soon! The most under used fighter in third strike to me(other than sean,lol) is elena. Seriously i've never seen anyone play as her! I'm currently trying to learn twelve, but his/its?lol learning curve is like climbing Mt. Everest. I would love to play on psn, if I had one...... I plan on getting one within the next two months(that or depending if 3rd strike is an xbox exclusive I might go the route of a 360). What'll do is request you as a friend here, then you add me, and when I finally get one I'll message you.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
cool man. Hopefully we can get some matches sometime. Got any videos of yourself playing?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You can all talk and dream the big dreams but in the end it is me who will be left standing. The storm approaches...

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Oh hell naw.... you'll be contemplating the futility of just living after playing me...

I'll even play with a PS pad. What?

You're on PS3 right, Chris?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Just watched the trailer on PSN in the E3 section today. Glad to see it is also on PS3, even though I will mostly be playing it on my 360. Glad to see it is using GGPO, but here are people saying that is a bad thing??? I guess for more intense CPU using games like this, it runs into small problems???

Reality Check

World Hero
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/0...3rd-strike-online-editions-budget-is-so-high/

Capcom has made a big deal about how much time, effort, and cash they’ve been pouring into the development of Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition, and after my hands-on with the game, I can tell why. Associate producer, Derek Neal, says that the game is "everything that the community wants," particularly stressing that that included implementation of the very popular GGPO netcode. However, even without being able to test the titular feature on the show floor, the changes and additions that have been made to 3rd Strike are impressive.

From the main menu screen alone, it’s apparent that Capcom went all out on this overhaul, commissioning new character art from Stanley "Artgerm" Lau, which is randomly chosen to add a bit of flavor to the main menu whenever it is opened. Even cooler is that the game looks at your play history to give your most-used characters a higher chance of being in the background. It’s a totally unnecessary, but cool little addition indicative of the love that Capcom and Iron Galaxy have poured into this new edition.

If you’re at all worried that Artgerm’s new stuff would replace Daigo Ikeno’s artwork, don’t be. For the character select screen, Capcom has taken the original artwork and re-scanned it, so it looks incredibly crisp. Now that we’re on the subject of the character select screen, Capcom has taken one of my favorite features from BlazBlue: Continuum Shift and added it to 3rd Strike Online. You can now press Select (or Back, if the 360 is your preferred console) on the character select screen and map your buttons on the fly (which, from experience, is really helpful if you keep have two friends over and one prefers a pad and the other an arcade stick and they keep swapping with each other). They’ve also finally added a random select option to the game, mapped to the start button.

There are a ton of options that can be fiddled with mid-round, too. You can adjust display options from the in-game menu for switching from a standard 4:3 aspect ratio, to a wide one, to one that’s even further stretched to fill the whole screen, and (my personal favorite), one that bows the screen to look like an arcade cabinet monitor. You can even add scanlines to it to further the arcade feel. Honestly, I’m partial to scanlines, but if you like your sprites looking smooth, there are also a two sprite filters in the game, Crisp and Smooth. I spent most of my time on Crisp, which gave the sprites kind of a painted look. Honestly, I’ll probably keep the sprites unfiltered, but the filters both seem pretty nice, if you’re into that sort of thing.

If you happen to be in a non-widescreen aspect ratio, you will see "Dynamic Challenges" in the sides of the screen. These challenges will start out simple, such as winning a short streak or getting a single perfect, but as they are completed, they level up, becoming more and more challenging the more the player completes. Each completed challenge yields "Vault Points," which (appropriately) allow players to buy unlockable stuff from "the Vault," that features over 200 pieces of unlockable artwork (some fanart, some official), and new remixed character themes by Super Sledge with vocals by Adam Tensta.

Then (there’s still more stuff!) there’s the Trials mode. While there are trials that teach you combos for each character a la Super Street Fighter IV, there are also trials to help players get to grips with universal game mechanics like parries. While these start simple (parry a one-hit hadouken), the challenges get pretty in-depth (such as recreating Evo moment #37). While I probably couldn’t ever do some of the later challenges, the fact that they’re even included in a downloadable game is pretty cool.

Bear in mind, this is just the offline stuff. From what Derek told me, the online modes will have matchmaking, tournament support, the ability to record matches and upload them directly to YouTube, and the ability to search for other peoples’ matches. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition will be out this summer for $15 on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I LOVE the youtube uploading feature that's going to be in this game. If it uploads the match in HD, that's even more amazing. I'm so pumped for this release