SF3: Third Strike Online Edition

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Get ready for me.. I'll be using the PS3 version. Expect a lot of urien.

We gotta get some games in man... I reckon we probably know alot of the same peeps but I dont think I have ever played you... SevenStarFist is my PSN, add me when it drops and lets play. I main Oro and Urien.

360 for me. I like to use Hugo alot. Any 360 people on here......send me a rquest. My tag is the same as here.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I feel this is the game where skill will be measured 'cause everyone likes it. I mean SFIV and SSFIV is not something I take seriously and HDR is my favorite online game so far but a lot of people don't like it competitively. No one plays FFS anymore and the new KOF's don't see any action.

I'm looking foward to this, I'm also a Hugo nut but I can also play with Urien, Oro, Necro, Alex, Remy and of course all the shotos. I can play with everyone no problem but my high level play is on the characters metioned previously. I'm starting to fool around with the twins and I'm liking them a lot. 3rd strike is a game that has so much to offer, you can play it for years and still haven't seen everything that can be done.

I'll be in both networks under electricgrave and trust me when I tell you that I'm in for the keeps!

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I feel this is the game where skill will be measured 'cause everyone likes it.

I find that a bunch of old Super Turbo heads hate 3rd strike. Found this out while I was complaining about SF4. I can understand their reasoning when it comes to the character roster but not gameplay. The parry system just doesn't do it for them.

But I agree, this is the game where skill will be measured. 3rd strike is one of those games that really racks your brain.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
We gotta get some games in man... I reckon we probably know alot of the same peeps but I dont think I have ever played you... SevenStarFist is my PSN, add me when it drops and lets play. I main Oro and Urien.

Oh, very cool dude. Can't wait to rock 3s. The day 3S drops, its gonna be killer.

Add me bro, I'm URLWK.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2byJHml7E4c

old casuals of my urien

i had bad habits at this time, to many guess tackles without aegis follow up set ups

urien is largely retired in the japanese circuit now due to him being so well figured out, and rx is the only one who actively holds top tourney

some players are so good, they are literally aegis 'proof'. Nothing but fake out throw set ups will work, and those must be cleverly disguised even then

Lemme give some realistic advice. Don't get excited. If input delay is constant, 3S is done. This game and its personal adaptation and mind games are very paper thin. If anything gets raped or harmed, its over.
Back when me and gootecks used to play this shit online, he started playing online to much, and he lost some of his set ups. Namely his necro/alex unblockable. GGPO is ONLY for local games. Same with 2DF..

So they need to MASTER this netcode. This has to be the best netcode ever released for anything or 3S online is toast day one. NO HDTV's that exist are to be used for 3S. this is shitty crt territory or don't bother. Anyone who says the delay in modern gaming is humanly indistinguishable is full of shit. I'm serious. The smallest issue has delay, and you can get used to it and be a crappy player, so honestly, don't bother playing, you won't even win a single round in this against someone who is playing on a crt.

Put the HDTV's down for this release and hunt neighbors garbage for a crt, label it in white marker paint '3S tv', and have at it. I am dropping some great basic knowledge on people who don't know this. Its easier to wing this nonsense in IV, with 2d games, it not even a option. Hit confirms and parry's, everything goes down the crapper in hd.

Last edited:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
A modern plasma panel has a reponse time of 1ms. If you are telling me that a thousandth of a second affects your game, you are quite frankly so full of shit it's not funny!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
A modern plasma panel has a reponse time of 1ms. If you are telling me that a thousandth of a second affects your game, you are quite frankly so full of shit it's not funny!

No, you're full of shit. Even the SMALLEST bit of shit will destroy 3S. You don't get how critical perfection is for this game. Ask anyone at a good level and they will agree with me.

Also, a modern plasma has 1 ms? I find that hard to even believe. I thought 4-8ms was the standard, and as far as I know, those haven't changed much. Unless you have some hospital heartbeat set up, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Look up fubarduck and other amazing contributes. Its impossible to eliminate lag on those set ups, and I doubt even hdfury eliminates it completely. I have a 720 p hdtv that was pumping right through vga that had clear as hell delay at its best possible situation. Its all about me pressing a button at exact response timing. EXACT. Anything other then perfection in that spot is completely unacceptable. Completely. And adapting to it and compensating your gameplan doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Ask anyone who's went from HD back to CRT. The difference is amazing.

IV is acceptable because plinking makes up. This shit isn't a 3s standard. Its ridiculous to make this claim unless you have the experience playing this game.

Last edited:

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
No, you're full of shit. Even the SMALLEST bit of shit will destroy 3S. You don't get how critical perfection is for this game. Ask anyone at a good level and they will agree with me.

Also, a modern plasma has 1 ms? I find that hard to even believe. I thought 4-8ms was the standard, and as far as I know, those haven't changed much. Unless you have some hospital heartbeat set up, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Look up fubarduck and other amazing contributes. Its impossible to eliminate lag on those set ups, and I doubt even hdfury eliminates it completely. I have a 720 p hdtv that was pumping right through vga that had clear as hell delay at its best possible situation. Its all about me pressing a button at exact response timing. EXACT. Anything other then perfection in that spot is completely unacceptable. Completely. And adapting to it and compensating your gameplan doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Ask anyone who's went from HD back to CRT. The difference is amazing.

IV is acceptable because plinking makes up. This shit isn't a 3s standard. Its ridiculous to make this claim unless you have the experience playing this game.
So just because YOUR shit TV suffers from incredibly bad lag, they all do.

Get a Panasonic (and preferably a clue as well) or shut the fuck up.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
So just because YOUR shit TV suffers from incredibly bad lag, they all do.

Get a Panasonic (and preferably a clue as well) or shut the fuck up.

Its not 'my' tv, its the technology itself. I don't give a shit whats being rectified, delay is delay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvreeOk7PA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TETrO0GypU&feature=related

They are all bad for competitive 2d fighters. Just because some are 'better' to use for other application doesn't mean they are good for competitive play. You're ignorant idiot if you believe that. I can play suikoden with no issues on any set up, its not a fucking fighting game with split second reaction and hit confirmation.

Now lets check those two videos. One is a clocker, the other is standard>game mode, that video that guy should do Ken's cMP confirmation at the last available frame and see if he gets it. Look at how late his jumping RH comes out from a jRH with Ken at 3:24.

Just because its small doesn't mean its not present.. Its a huge issue.

2D fighters on anything less then a solid set up is not worth even playing competitively unless you're just playing for shits. I don't care how exaggerated this sounds in your mind, unless you've played at competitive level you have no idea how many details go into things that demand that perfection. Good luck hit confirming on your shit that lags. Just because it bugs you doesn't make it less true.

Whats true is true. Half the people playing on this adapt to it and play worse after a few days and don't realize how bad it really is until they switch back. Play seriously. Go to a arcade or play fatal fury special on crt, then put that same shit on your plasma and see how right I am about it. HDTV is STILL in its early years and hasn't been perfected for that type of environment. Seriously. If a game runs at 480p, and you put your setting to 480p and even enable game mode, there's still fucking delay. Just because its been compensated doesn't mean it isnt there.

Go read a fubarduck faq or someone who is into this stuff on a serious level. Tired of your fuckwit attitude about it. You have no fucking idea what input delay is if you are gonna argue this.

Plasma's aren't eliminating this issue either.

Last edited:

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Don't waste your time on this guy, LWK. He's proven how much of an idiot he is in just about every thread I've seen him post in.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
This has to be the best netcode ever released for anything or 3S online is toast day one.

I dunno. Anniversary Collection for the OG Xbox didn't have perfect netcode and that game thrived on there. Knowing Capcom, I'm sure the game will be more than playable.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I dunno. Anniversary Collection for the OG Xbox didn't have perfect netcode and that game thrived on there. Knowing Capcom, I'm sure the game will be more than playable.

Actually, you probably are aware, but the og collection was flawed. 3S ran at to fast a speed, and some stuff wouldn't work properly for some reason. When I went to EVO 07, ps2 was the only version anyone would play. Ashame the netcode was so good when the 3s port was so bad for the old xbox..

DC was the best before the ps2 anniv, but it was version B, (the one in the arcades that got ousted from the tourney scene entirely due to the loss of unblockables.)

I'll never get why people bitch about those to be entirely honest, if you parry once, you can escape almost any unblock-able. That was urien's undoing at ever being a messed up character.

PS2 3S was the choice port, both A and B selectable via options.. Everything from the arcade version worked well. I've been told that some stuff is harder on ps2 though.. If they report the xbox version to the 360 and dress it up, people are gonna be pissed. I really doubt capcom would do something that stupid though.

I hated the way the sprites looked on the PS2. DC version was the best looking version of that game for sure. Just crappy version B..

Version B is so unpopular that its a bitch to move that as a selling item.

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I thought they said the DC version of 3rd strike had timing issues? I had no idea about the 360 version being too fast, that's crazy.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I thought they said the DC version of 3rd strike had timing issues? I had no idea about the 360 version being too fast, that's crazy.

You mean XBOX standard. That version was to fast. I don't know about DC timing issues, but I remember it being version B. They botched garou on the dc, so it could be a possibility. I think garou had input delay. my friends giby and jaime won't touch any version of garou but the neo.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Don't waste your time on this guy, LWK. He's proven how much of an idiot he is in just about every thread I've seen him post in.

I'm not the one complaining about lag on HDTV's when the latest Panasonic's have a response time of 0.001ms, mate.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I'm not the one complaining about lag on HDTV's when the latest Panasonic's have a response time of 0.001ms, mate.

That post is directly related to your view of blacks in the king thread. Its a off topic reference.

You can't come to some diverse forum and discuss why blacks are stupid for x thing. I seriously don't get how you don't have the foresight to begin with considering this website's general history to not see what kind of reputation that breeds here, and I'm a dude who give's a shit less about reputation these days..

I did research on your 0.001 ms panasonic. Those just recently hit the market, and I'm interested to see some 2d fighter results.. Get some youtube vids showing them off. What would that have killed you? Those are brand new to the market.. Don't come here and talk some serious shit when it can easily be solved by showing me something to the contrary. I'm not some grossly stubborn person without any room for dissenting views, but the instant you say stuff like this:

"you are quite frankly so full of shit it's not funny! " any discussion is dead.

You know what I focus on in your posts? The incredible amount of shit you talk seemingly out of nowhere.

This stuff is a enigma to me. In one thread you're really friendly, in another you're being an ass. Are you just really a sarcastic type person and its hard to read your style without offline reference?

I'm being completely reasonable to discuss something interesting as civilized people after you attacked me. Most don't get that second chance in general, so why not show off your find instead of assuming the worst of people first? I don't understand what the hell this could ever accomplish.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Yeah, the og xbox one ran fast, I completely forgot about that. Even with that, though, the game was extremely popular. I'm just saying I don't see the game being toast if it doesn't have perfect netcode, just because of how popular the other one was.

I really can't wait to bust denjin-ryu in lag.

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
Ryu is worthless in 3rd strike. ken had diarrhea and took a crap on him.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member

Tango! We'll have to get some games in once this hits. I'll add you on PSN next time I'm online. My PSN is IronTiger81.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Ryu is worthless in 3rd strike. ken had diarrhea and took a crap on him.

He's far from worthless in 3S. He's actually a very solid character only a little too predictable at the highest level. He can complete well with most other characters. Not as good as good ken obviously (unlike all other SF editions) but he's upper mid tier in 3S afaik.

He also has 3 viable super arts unlike most of the cast.

Last edited:

Artemio

NEST Puppet

You have to keep in mind that the lag is not produced by how fast the display draws.. but by all the video processing going on, for example:

Analogue signal (component, VGA) -> digitize -> processing -> upscale/downscale -> display

or

Digital Signal -> processing -> upscale/downscale -> display

Processing usually takes two frames delay, since it needs to check for 3:2 pulldown, deinterlacing and other things. You also need to consider other processing options, such as all those filters, bells and whistles on TV sets (motion plus, cinema display, DNR, etc). Of course the best course of action is turning those off and using game mode, and an external upscaler via VGA (that way teh Tv won't process it as video, but as graphics.. hopefully).

I am currently coding a program for the Sega Genesis and Dreamcast, to evaluate upscalers from 240p signals (and calibrate levels as well). I wil post around here when I release it, if you have the means to do teh testing you will be surprised by the quality of your results.