QUIZ CHIBI MARUKO-CHAN: BEWARE if you won these auctions

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
These are finished listings, but if somebody from these forums have won them, be aware they are both BOOTS.

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130422714125&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e108742915

My friend Bel from the Beta-Zero forums, detected the yellow of the insert was different from his checked original copy (open cart, art checked, etc.; 100% original), and a difference in the sticker cut.

These is a picture Bel have authorized me to post, from his original game sticker:

dsc03515s.jpg

You can see the differences between these auctions stickers, and Bel's one.

According to this informations, me myself have discovered my very own CHIBI seems to be a BOOT like those of the auctions (bad cut on sticker, same yellow...); it has glue on the snaplocks of the cart, and until now I've been able to open half of it.

Hope this can help someone.

Last edited:
that´s some huge setback for a boot. Wonder how many are out there.

You should have made this thread on general to warn everyone of these japanese bootlegs.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Hi, Metallizer.

You are right, although for boot related things I believe this is the right subforum.

Last edited:
I did my own checking as well:

chibiquiz.jpg

The boy left arm is visible in Shawn´s cart sticker and this pic is almost a decade old.

Last edited:

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
It's a shame these pictures are small, so perhaps is difficult sometimes to check little details.

Anyway, Bel's copy is OK.

Regarding those auctions, other points:

- Under the NEO-GEO logo on spine (insert), no letters are printed on these auctions pictures.

- The boy in orange pullower above all to the right, shows a little left hand in an original.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
These are stickers; there's going to be some reasonable small variance on originals in how the image is shifted. Remember the image isn't printed only to the border of the sticker, it's printed across it. As such, if the sticker is shifted a very small amount in either direction during the printing process (normal) you will see more or less of the image on either side.

If you see a little more on the right side, you should correspondingly see less on the left side. That would be something to check. If you do not have a corresponding cutoff of the image on the left side of the sticker, then the entire image must be a slightly smaller scale than an original.

Last edited:

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Well spotted although I suspect this is punishment for spazzing a wad of cash on an abysmal "game" just because it's rare.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Don't tell nonsense.

These auctions present more differences that the one in the sticker: differences in insert and manual too.

If you like to being scammed, it's your problem.

colors also look saturated on the boots, that could be 2 things, paper too glossy or printer incorrectly adjusted to the paper used.

Too much ink = vibrant colors.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I'm still not convinced that something can be called a boot just by a sticker or a manual. Many variables occur during printing. Also, a copied manual could come with a legitimate cart.

Show the inside of these carts if you want to prove something.

BRANDI

Franco's Trainer
20 Year Member
Wow... now i understand why the seller of Yahoo Japan didn't send me the requested close-up pics of the insert, cart and manual and ban me from his auction..

I felt bad then but now i'm happy to know that i risked to spend 126.000 yen on a boot and fortunately didn't...

Last edited:

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I would never have thought that someone bothers to make bootlegs of a rare but otherwise rather unpopular game like Quiz Chibi.

Compared to the tons of boots and conversions of Metal Slug and Pulstar that are out there, I thought Quiz Chibi was a low risk game. But apparently buying a copy of any expensive Neo cart requires a leap of faith (unless you get the seller to open the cart).

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I would never have thought that someone bothers to make bootlegs of a rare but otherwise rather unpopular game like Quiz Chibi.

Compared to the tons of boots and conversions of Metal Slug and Pulstar that are out there, I thought Quiz Chibi was a low risk game. But apparently buying a copy of any expensive Neo cart requires a leap of faith (unless you get the seller to open the cart).

As long as it´s an expensive title, there are always people who have an interest in bootlegging it. A good fake might get the bootlegger 1.000$.
It´s also difficult to tell if it´s original or not, since there are not that many copies floating around that you can compare it to...

Quiz Chibi may not be popular, but it´s rare and some collectors still want it just because of that or to complete their collection.
This is a pure collection title, very few people would want to play that.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Given that you need to print high quality inserts, manuals and stickers, I suspect that making conversions and bootlegs in small numbers makes little sense, even if you can sell a copy for $1000.
Games like Metal Slug used to be so popular that you could probably sell 100 boots without bringing the market value down. Especially before it was released on PS2.
The only buyers you will find for Quiz Chibi are those who just want to own it but not a lot of people who are dying to play this game and therefore are willing to pay a small fortune for it.

hoop-jones

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Given that you need to print high quality inserts, manuals and stickers, I suspect that making conversions and bootlegs in small numbers makes little sense, even if you can sell a copy for $1000.
Games like Metal Slug used to be so popular that you could probably sell 100 boots without bringing the market value down. Especially before it was released on PS2.
The only buyers you will find for Quiz Chibi are those who just want to own it but not a lot of people who are dying to play this game and therefore are willing to pay a small fortune for it.

Sure you might be right about the costs of making conversions - i have no idea what making a counterfeit cart would cost!?

Anyway, there must be a reason why there are fake Quiz Chibis floating in the market. What motivation can someone have to make conversions except for profit? :scratch:

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
The costs of making a bootleg or conversion are very low these days, so profit for selling an expensive game as original is very high.

Zellez

King's Dry Cleaner
I wonder what kind of check is done in shops such as a-too, softmap and others that buy used neogeo cart.
For the little I know (never sold them neogeo games, just some random psx/ps2 titles) you just go there and get the amount of money they advertise in their flyers depending on the condition of the games you bring in.
If that's the case also for neo, I suppose someone could easily go around and sell them bootlegs making really difficult to spot a real copy of that crappy game.