Could my Puzzle Bobble actually be legit?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
:vik:

puzzbob.jpg

Also, I plugged it in after taking this pic. Thing works great.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I've still never seen a fully PROM version of Puzzle Bobble. Both of those look pretty good to me, though the second set of pictures... I don't like that the S and M roms were labeled with a sharpie. I mean, I guess SNK/Taito could have done that, but you have to ask why? Maybe it was a repaired board? How does the back of the board look for those contacts on the EPROMS? Are they machine soldered?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Out of all the BAM carts I've seen I've never seen a mask rom for the S or M roms. And they aren't going to machine solder a recycled cart.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just looked up the sac cart, looks like Crossed Swords. Never seen CS used as a sac for BAM so it's probably a bootleg, closer pics would be better.

Only legit ones I know of use Power Spikes 2, AOF3 and there is maybe a 3rd one.

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So after what reading the comments and giving the cart a little more thorough look, I'm wondering if this might be an original cart with a 3rd party repair job (see label). The back of board #1 is actually quite a sight. Anyway here are some higher res photos.

Label:

Board 1 front/back:

Board 2 front/back:

As I stated before it´s a bootleg, It´s speed graded so I knew it was not mask roms from the go.

I just wanted to know what kind of chips where used.

In this case:

TC544200P-150 Toshiba 4 Mega Bit CMOS One Time Programmable ROM

PROMs.

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Okay thanks for the info. I'm new to this and just wanted to know how often it is that bootlegs came with the full kit? I have the box, art, dip sheet, and mini marquee which I'm guessing would also be fake then.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Okay thanks for the info. I'm new to this and just wanted to know how often it is that bootlegs came with the full kit? I have the box, art, dip sheet, and mini marquee which I'm guessing would also be fake then.

I've had 2 full kits for Bust a Move which both people said were boots. I don't think they were. I think SNK was just trying to churn them out as fast as possible so they were cutting corners. BAM/PB is the only game in the library that has this problem. This is why you see a shit load of carts with legit labels and people say it's a boot. Only SNK really knows.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
That cart is odd, but I don't really see how it could be a boot with those official chips factory-soldered in there. The two EPROMs couldn't possibly hold all the game data?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
As I stated before it´s a bootleg, It´s speed graded so I knew it was not mask roms from the go.

I just wanted to know what kind of chips where used.

In this case:

TC544200P-150 Toshiba 4 Mega Bit CMOS One Time Programmable ROM

PROMs.

I was doing some digging and found SNK did use Toshiba OTP ROMs. Most noticably in 2020 Super Baseball (TC54H1000AP-85) for the M1:

http://mvs.gotwalls.com/images/b/b8/2020_super_baseball_set1_b2_front.jpg

Does this mean SNK might have used it for PB/PDP carts, very possible.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Not really.

I think this is the one game that has many variations. I agree with Xian. Probably almost all the supposedly believed boots are real. Boots don't come as full kits.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Tons of legit carts have that same colored marker from the factory.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I had several PB's over the past 3,5 years and not a single one was a boot. At least 8 or 9 I had and all were original.
Seems there are hardly PB any boots down here. Only saw pics of them but never seen one irl, not that it's a bad thing.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
This whole boot or no boot with Puzzle Bobble/Bust a Move is so funky to me. How about this one on ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-SNK...995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b67d658b There's a picture of it opened up. Struck me a bit odd that the label says Puzzle Bobble but artwork says Bust a Move. Thanks in advance for any input!

cart looks original to me. The game's called Puzzle Bobble in both Japan and Europe and Bust a Move in the US. Just US artwork with a Jap/Euro cart

bones

Crazed MVS Addict
excellent, thanks for the scoop, may go ahead and snag this one, looks pretty good. thanks!

dabadking

n00b
Ok so while my cabinet is apart i decided... id research my carts authenticity... so I started with Puzzle bobble (came with my original MVS single slot cab so im not heart broken over this cart).
every single chip in mine is identical to the second set of pics posted...including the worldwide video sticker.... except for one thing.... and this has GOT to be the most blatently bootleg version ive ever seen lol .... it has a chip straight LABELED .....INTEL !!! Its all done very neatly but seriosly... INTEL? lol
Anyways I dont know anything about identifying boots...I'm still VERY new to this however.... just the simple fact that we have the same sticker... id be wary of those carts.