New Project: MV-IC Replacement? edit: New Projects KE 4 player and Jong Controller

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Has the highscore issue been fixed? MVS mode seems like all it needs, that's all games check for when they access backup RAM. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes with the Unibios though. Backup RAM / calendar chips aren't needed to tell an AES from an MVS for what it's worth.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Has the highscore issue been fixed? MVS mode seems like all it needs, that's all games check for when they access backup RAM. Don't know what's going on behind the scenes with the Unibios though. Backup RAM / calendar chips aren't needed to tell an AES from an MVS for what it's worth.

Still doesnt work, honestly I haven't worked on it since my last post. Raz said it may be recognized as MVS in some post before. I may need a custom bios to see if it recognizes the extra space.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
If you want to rule out your hardware being the issue, try this BIOS. The values on screen will match if backup RAM is working as expected.

edit: forgot to mention, you'll need a game inserted to see the text on AES

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Yeah its not showing the RAM. But this will REALLY help finding the problem, thanks a lot! I'll work on it a bit more today.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
OK.
Got the NoeBiosMAsta yesterday (tnx Brian), I'll put together MV1b+unibios in the next few days, so I can use the 4P board straight.

This way any kind of test about 4p should be definitive.

Stay tuned ;)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
If you want to rule out your hardware being the issue, try this BIOS. The values on screen will match if backup RAM is working as expected.

edit: forgot to mention, you'll need a game inserted to see the text on AES

Another idea, LMK if something like this is do-able.

The idea I have is just work with the Work RAM that’s already there. I assume the highscore data is stored in a specific location in the Work RAM. I understand each game probably has its own specific location to store that data. Data will stay there till a reset. Is it possible, if I find out each games high score location can we load and save the specific range to/from the memory card?

This way we can truly have a permanent backup of all high scores and the user can just load for the game they are playing. Now I'm not suggesting Raz modifies the Unibios. Since we're looking for true high scores, it could be a stock bios modified just for score saving/loading.

I'm really trying to find a way that is accessible to everyone and doesn’t require users to mod anything other than a bios switch. Getting the highscore data locations shouldn’t be pretty easy with the PC2Neo and some modifications to my motherboard.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Another idea, LMK if something like this is do-able.

The idea I have is just work with the Work RAM that’s already there. I assume the highscore data is stored in a specific location in the Work RAM. I understand each game probably has its own specific location to store that data. Data will stay there till a reset. Is it possible, if I find out each games high score location can we load and save the specific range to/from the memory card?

This way we can truly have a permanent backup of all high scores and the user can just load for the game they are playing. Now I'm not suggesting Raz modifies the Unibios. Since we're looking for true high scores, it could be a stock bios modified just for score saving/loading.

I'm really trying to find a way that is accessible to everyone and doesn’t require users to mod anything other than a bios switch. Getting the highscore data locations shouldn’t be pretty easy with the PC2Neo and some modifications to my motherboard.

I already had an experimental one with that approach but it only works with 2 games in the current form. Try testing this one with either FFS or NAM. Make sure the card is formatted, then hit start+select and do whatever it says on screen to save your high scores currently on the system. It should automatically load on poweron like it does on MVS and it should show up in the memcard manager like anything else.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I already had an experimental one with that approach but it only works with 2 games in the current form. Try testing this one with either FFS or NAM. Make sure the card is formatted, then hit start+select and do whatever it says on screen to save your high scores currently on the system. It should automatically load on poweron like it does on MVS and it should show up in the memcard manager like anything else.

I am not worthy of your skills.

Well it works perfectly. Tried it on Nam and it saved/loaded just fine. I havent dumped the card to view the details, but how much space does the save file take up?

Again, you da man!

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Oh nice. Was half expecting something to go wrong on the real system. I'd try it on my own AES but I don't have a workable EPROM programmer yet.

The sizes should've been a bit less than what I uploaded actually,but for 3 games I have here:
NAM: 192 byte
FFS: 128 byte
Metal Slug (lol): 192 byte

They vary with games,but they're huge in comparison to the regular game saves. They'd exhaust a stock 2K card very quickly, so neosavemasta levels of storage help out plenty for this..

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Oh nice. Was half expecting something to go wrong on the real system. I'd try it on my own AES but I don't have a workable EPROM programmer yet.

The sizes should've been a bit less than what I uploaded actually,but for 3 games I have here:
NAM: 192 byte
FFS: 128 byte
Metal Slug (lol): 192 byte

They vary with games,but they're huge in comparison to the regular game saves. They'd exhaust a stock 2K card very quickly, so neosavemasta levels of storage help out plenty for this..

Awesome! There's use for the second bank then. As always, I'm willing to help if you feel like continuing this project.

I realize the Unibios is the bios of choice, but I can make a plug in switchless bios switcher for home cart systems for those who want to utilize both. Having a dedicated highscore saving bios would keep people honest when saving scores.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
RULEZ!

IT WORKS!!!!!

Hahahahahahh!! The UNIBIOS works with the daughterboard!!!!

I applied the NeoBiosMasta on the MV1B:

K4_NBM.JPG

(btw, very cool stuff Brian, incredibly easy to mount)

K4_NMB2.JPG

on top of that Raz UNIBIOS 3.0

then attached the FTC1 daughterboard to the JAMMA and 8pin connector like the original setup:

K4_board.JPG

K4_board1.JPG

K4_boardJ.JPG

finally the setup:

K4_setup.JPG

I'm sorry but I have no VS setup, so the best I could was attach two neo sticks...

Anyway, the only thing needed (except from turn on dipswitch 2 on th MV1B) is to turn on both 4P enable cheat and shared controls for player 1-3 and 2-4 *BUT* each of the four players is controlled by *only one* joystick at time!

here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9ktS5cyGU

I think the board receives the input to switch the controls, and to not accept the previous player controls.... it means that the bios code piloting this feature was unlocked by Raz's unibios, and the original one was not-so-special version!

The only thing missing is the 4 controls input check, so I would ask Raz if he could implement it in future unibios test mode...:cool:

Thanks guys, this mean that NeoTurfMasta can move forward and clone the FTC1 for the sake of everybody, unleashing Fuun's full fun (?)!....I'm sooooo happy.:emb:

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
IT WORKS!!!!!

Hahahahahahh!! The UNIBIOS works with the daughterboard!!!!

I applied the NeoBiosMasta on the MV1B:

K4_NBM.JPG

(btw, very cool stuff Brian, incredibly easy to mount)

K4_NMB2.JPG

on top of that Raz UNIBIOS 3.0

then attached the FTC1 daughterboard to the JAMMA and 8pin connector like the original setup:

K4_board.JPG

K4_board1.JPG

K4_boardJ.JPG

finally the setup:

K4_setup.JPG

I'm sorry but I have no VS setup, so the best I could was attach two neo sticks...

Anyway, the only thing needed (except from turn on dipswitch 2 on th MV1B) is to turn on both 4P enable cheat and shared controls for player 1-3 and 2-4 *BUT* each of the four players is controlled by *only one* joystick at time!

here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl9ktS5cyGU

I think the board receives the input to switch the controls, and to not accept the previous player controls.... it means that the bios code piloting this feature was unlocked by Raz's unibios, and the original one was not-so-special version!

The only thing missing is the 4 controls input check, so I would ask Raz if he could implement it in future unibios test mode...:cool:

Thanks guys, this mean that NeoTurfMasta can move forward and clone the FTC1 for the sake of everybody, unleashing Fuun's full fun (?)!....I'm sooooo happy.:emb:

AWESOME stuff Massi! Congratulations!!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I'll see if I can find some 4 player display code in the bios. I soppose this means I should rename the 2 cheats for shared controls to something different.

Why did dip 2 need to be on, this is for the coin mode or something different?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Great job there Massi! Guess it's time to get started on that clone board. Give me some time to work things out. Maybe in the next week or so.

Things are looking very positive!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Why did dip 2 need to be on, this is for the coin mode or something different?

I think so, if not enabled only the right credit is displayed!

the 1P and 2P positions are inverted (not a big problem, but you do expect P1-A to be the "old" P1 instead of the old 2P)

But the strange thing is that in order to activate the unibios menu I have to:

press 1P A+B+C and 2P start, BUT i can browse the menu only using 2P directions...!?

The game is perfect, but maybe the board is driving inputs differently...dunno.

I'm pretty sure that with NeoTurfMasta board and some unibios mods, something like that could be managed easily.

Thanks again Raz!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Great job there Massi! Guess it's time to get started on that clone board. Give me some time to work things out. Maybe in the next week or so.

Things are looking very positive!

Thanks Brian, I'm very happy about this, specially after seeing your work.
I hope you'll be able to continue your projects, as they deserve all suppport from the community!

Just LMK if you need any help ;)

Massi

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Just LMK if you need any help ;)

Massi

Can you get me a photo with a ruler laying on top of the board both ways please? I also need some close shots of the main jamma connector board as well please.

I already got the top and bottom board matched up in Photoshop and I'm about to start tracing stuff out. The closer I get to finishing it I can get a small proto run of the pcbs done for those interested.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Can you get me a photo with a ruler laying on top of the board both ways please? I also need some close shots of the main jamma connector board as well please.

I already got the top and bottom board matched up in Photoshop and I'm about to start tracing stuff out. The closer I get to finishing it I can get a small proto run of the pcbs done for those interested.

Sure! This weekend I'll make those pictures :multi_co:

...and please, make the final board black, with yellow patterns, like NeoSaveMasta! ;)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
1/3 of the way done with it. I think it's safe to say it will be finished by Friday. Then I'll mess with the main jamma connector when Massi gets more pics.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Awesome!

Please consider the inverter circuit as well, as it was probably working but I was not able to connect Slot4 1P joyport properly :(

This could be useful for non-mv1B boards!

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
A 4P setup vid with 4 guys who know what they're doing would be pretty nice to see, never seen any videos of 4P kizuna ever. Maybe after the proto boards are made :)

@NTM: I get the impression that there's no real interest in the high score thing, especially if it requires new hardware. I'd ask around before going to the trouble. That said,it's not hard to add extra games and I can atleast do the games I personally own since my AES is modded and I have a card on hand to mess around with.

christoph

Hardened Shock Trooper
So you are making MV1C replica motherboards? Work exactly the same, just smaller?

Or when you say you are 1/3 finished are you talking about the KE 4 player and Jong Controller.

If you are indeed making the MV1C replica boards, I'll take a few for sure too.

Last edited:

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Congrats! I'm pretty interested in anything that comes out of this... MV-IC, high score stuff, 4p boards... bring it on! NTM and the rest, you guys are a neo-pioneers!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Please consider the inverter circuit as well, as it was probably working but I was not able to connect Slot4 1P joyport properly :(

I'll definitely add that to the design as well. Good idea.

@NTM: I get the impression that there's no real interest in the high score thing, especially if it requires new hardware. I'd ask around before going to the trouble. That said, it’s not hard to add extra games and I can at least do the games I personally own since my AES is modded and I have a card on hand to mess around with.

It's completely up to you. Personally I really won’t be using it that much. It's something we can worry about later if more interest comes along.

So you are making MV1C replica motherboards? Work exactly the same, just smaller?

Not 1C, IC. The MV-IC is the daughter board for memory cards on multi slot systems. Not the 1C motherboard. I wouldn’t dare tackle making a clone of that.

I am about 95% finished tracing out the lines on the KE board. There are a handful of lines I can’t see under ICs, but I should be able to figure it out with the other angle shots Massi sent me.