New Project: MV-IC Replacement? edit: New Projects KE 4 player and Jong Controller

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I havent worked on it at all, or any other projects. Lots of non-neo stuff going on right now I just havent had time. I've had the design done on the second batch of memory cards, just waiting for some free time to get those ordered and assembled.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I've had the design done on the second batch of memory cards, just waiting for some free time to get those ordered and assembled.

:buttrock: Yeah, NSM v2... put me down on the pre-order now.

Have you managed to get anywhere with including the saving of High Scores?

christoph

Hardened Shock Trooper
If it helped you to take pre-orders with payment in advance, consider me in for a bunch of each

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Going to start working on the KE4 Player adapter again. Been pretty swamped last few months. I also have a 3 board batch of the mahjong boards being made just to test, should arrive in a few weeks.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Anyone help with where the ends go where the arrows are? This is on the side opposite the audio amp, by the blue connector cable.
zoom1.jpg

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Any ideas what lives under the U1 and OPAMP ics? Those are the last two things left.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
I think it could be:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7311/84315711.jpg

J1(1)---U1(3) U1(4)---U4(19), U5(19)

J1(4)---U1(5) U1(6)---U2(19), U3(19)

I don't think there are any traces running under OPAMP1, except for the ground plane.

I wouldn't have the boards manufactured without confirmation of all of this though. If Massimiliano agrees on sending the board to me (we're both in Italy) I could check everything.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I think it could be:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7311/84315711.jpg

J1(1)---U1(3) U1(4)---U4(19), U5(19)

J1(4)---U1(5) U1(6)---U2(19), U3(19)

I don't think there are any traces running under OPAMP1, except for the ground plane.

Lemme check this, I should be able to confirm running a multimeter test.

MKL said:
I wouldn't have the boards manufactured without confirmation of all of this though. If Massimiliano agrees on sending the board to me (we're both in Italy) I could check everything.

Thanks MKL, I'll keep that in mind, but at the moment I would prefer proceeding the way we are.

Brian, do you plan to use prototyping makers like http://www.aapcb.com/ ?
They can make single pieces, in case a couple of test runs are needed I'll gladly support you trough the process.

Thanks,

Massi

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I'd really like to see a replacement card reader as well. Finding an MV IC is a bitch and a half, and I'd really like to be able to take my saves back and forth between my home cart system and my MVS.

Maybe on the SaveMasta Mark III you can just add a 4 prong connector to connect the card directly to the MVS board. LOL

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I'd really like to see a replacement card reader as well. Finding an MV IC is a bitch and a half, and I'd really like to be able to take my saves back and forth between my home cart system and my MVS.

Maybe on the SaveMasta Mark III you can just add a 4 prong connector to connect the card directly to the MVS board. LOL

I'll have a card reader ready soon. Maybe do a small run of them.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I'll have a card reader ready soon. Maybe do a small run of them.

That would be awesome. Have you given any thought on how to make it mountable? Not saying I'm gonna hump it, but I wouldn't wanna rule anything out. ;)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Have you given any thought on how to make it mountable?

I'm really leaving up to the user. It is small enough for it to be good for consolized multislots, but for those with dedicated cabs, it will have to be mounted to some wood board or something. Making a PCB as large as the original is too expensive.

Here's a shot of the jong board replacement. It was a quick 3 piece run and I got the silkscreen wrong. But I plan on doing these here soon too.

jong.JPG

I really havent worked on the KE board because its very frustrating going by a photo. I think someone could probably come up with a custom solution for it without doing a clone of the board.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I'm really leaving up to the user. It is small enough for it to be good for consolized multislots, but for those with dedicated cabs, it will have to be mounted to some wood board or something. Making a PCB as large as the original is too expensive.

Here's a shot of the jong board replacement. It was a quick 3 piece run and I got the silkscreen wrong. But I plan on doing these here soon too.

jong.JPG

I really havent worked on the KE board because its very frustrating going by a photo. I think someone could probably come up with a custom solution for it without doing a clone of the board.

I guess what I was asking is if it would at least have holes, so we could put little mobo feets on it. :)

Awesome about the jong controller!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I guess what I was asking is if it would at least have holes, so we could put little mobo feets on it. :)

Awesome about the jong controller!

oh sorry, yeah it will have mounting holes. But right now the actual pcb size of it is roughly 2" long by .5" wide. Smaller just for testing, I'll make it a bit wider on the final version.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
oh sorry, yeah it will have mounting holes. But right now the actual pcb size of it is roughly 2" long by .5" wide. Smaller just for testing, I'll make it a bit wider on the final version.

Could I trouble you to post a pic?

I know it's just a test version, but I'm planning the mods on my MVS cabinet and it would help to have an idea what it might look like. Is it just gonna be a board at the back of where an MV IC would normally be? Like, would it be possible to miss the card connector if you didn't plug it into the slot just so?

I have a dynamo hs-5 drawer cab, and I was gonna put a memory card sticker on a plate and route out a hole big enough for the card slot and memory card jacks in the center front of the drawer (think where that snarl of wires currently is across from the jamma connector):

DSCF0346.jpg

Also, are you gonna make the cables, so we can plug it into the board the standard way, or is this gonna be some kinda solder mod that will make me cry myself to sleep?

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

Also, are you gonna make the cables, so we can plug it into the board the standard way, or is this gonna be some kinda solder mod that will make me cry myself to sleep?

No pic yet, waiting for the test run to get here.

And yes, cables will be made. However, only 30 out of the 120 pins are actually going to be used. So its a LOT less bulky than the original set.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
No pic yet, waiting for the test run to get here.

And yes, cables will be made. However, only 30 out of the 120 pins are actually going to be used. So its a LOT less bulky than the original set.

Because I am a valiant chap who cares about the community, I will gladly test one of these for you. I'm just that kind of person. ;)

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I have a rev 1 board I haven't used in ages, if you need any spares NTM.. mostly because I haven't been able to get sound off the jamma edge, the diagram for this mod on Jamma Nation X's tutorial are a bit hard to read..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a rev 1 board I haven't used in ages, if you need any spares NTM.. mostly because I haven't been able to get sound off the jamma edge, the diagram for this mod on Jamma Nation X's tutorial are a bit hard to read..

What was hard to read about it?

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy

I know it's just a test version, but I'm planning the mods on my MVS cabinet and it would help to have an idea what it might look like. Is it just gonna be a board at the back of where an MV IC would normally be? Like, would it be possible to miss the card connector if you didn't plug it into the slot just so?

I have a dynamo hs-5 drawer cab, and I was gonna put a memory card sticker on a plate and route out a hole big enough for the card slot and memory card jacks in the center front of the drawer (think where that snarl of wires currently is across from the jamma connector):

DSCF0346.jpg

Dang. That's neat if creepy. As somebody without an arcade background, it always surprises me what the insides of cabs look like.