Metal Slug 3?

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
The seller will not open up the game to take a picture of the boards. Aside from that, does anyone think this might be a fake? Does the label look shady or anything? It looks like there are no serial numbers? I am new to this...

15euzrk.jpg

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I'd give it a pass, personally.

Opening it up is the only way to tell for sure. I've seen some really bad MVS carts that scream bootleg but are original boards, and I've seen really fantastic carts full of eproms and mx chips.

Just about anyone selling these knows the score; a reputable seller would open the case. If you need an original, never buy if they refuse to open it up.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Oh, cool. I thought all carts had serial numbers on the label.

I would make it very clear that you plan to challenge the sale if it isn't original. I'd actually prefer people don't go flopping open my cases all the time - really tears up the cart and label. :(

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Actually you dont need to open the case all the way to get the boards out or to just check if it's a boot. Just open it up like an inch or so and take the boards out or take a peek.
It's cumbersome, but there wont be any damage to the label or it will be very minimal.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Some Japan labels have silver serial stickers on them. Older US games have no serial on the label but sometimes have a silver one on the side of the cart.

That MS3 looks legit to me.

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. Some of my posts are not showing up but maybe this one will.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
More likely legit due to the green case. Some of the real ones have it, and it's just not a color you see for boots.

astar617

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Oh really? I didn't know that. Thanks.

Why are the serial numbers on so many carts scratched or markered out?

Because originally SNK did not allow the resale of carts by arcade operators, so even if they wanted to resell on the secondary market for legit reasons (the game is no longer used for earning and is just sitting on a shelf collecting dust, for instance) it could be traced back to them as the original buyer (and rulebreaker) if the serial wasn't removed. That could potentially lead to the operator being blacklisted from ever buying from SNK again, etc.

IIRC, Rolex is another company which doesn't officially recognize transfer of ownership (or didn't for the majority of their history, if they do now).

Last edited:

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
Because originally SNK did not allow the resale of carts by arcade operators, so even if they wanted to resell on the secondary market for legit reasons (the game is no longer used for earning and is just sitting on a shelf collecting dust, for instance) it could be traced back to them as the original buyer (and rulebreaker) if the serial wasn't removed. That could potentially lead to the operator being blacklisted from ever buying from SNK again, etc.

IIRC, Rolex is another company which doesn't officially recognize transfer of ownership (or didn't for the majority of their history, if they do now).
Good to know! Thanks for the info!