-->Video Encoder

Jamma Sync-->Switch--->Sync Cleaner-->8 Pin Din
                                   -->Video Encoder

Code:
Jamma RGB-->RGB Pots-->8 Pin Din
                    -->Video Encoder

-->Video Encoder

Understood! Thanks as always Xian Xi! (i'll be submitting the SG pics to your site when it's done)

other question...

About attenuation on the sound:

I want to do this on my SG but i don't know what i do need for building it (as i said in another thread, my electronical knowledge is very limited to almost NOTHING but soldering) so i need to know the name of the components to buy them and build this:

http://a.imageshack.us/img214/2028/schematicforanattenuate.jpg

I need to know the name and the values (ohms, volts, etc) of them (somebody told me that the pots for sound must be logarithmics instead of linears); i will appreciate it A LOT! then i think in about a week or less i'll be having the SG up and running (i'm almost at the half of the project)

Once again thanks a lot!!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
1 x SPST Toggle Switch (ON-ON)
2 x 10k Log Pot/Taper or 1 x Dual Ganged Log Pot (2 Pots in 1)
4 x 10uf Capacitor, 12-25v should be fine (You can probably use lower voltage ones, I use 16-25)
2 x 47k ohm 1/4 watt Resistor
2 x Phono Jacks

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
The switch is unnecessary.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The switch is unnecessary.

Sync or Audio?

For the sync I always add a switch because the sync cleaner makes the picture a little weird sometimes so if the board already has a clear signal I'd prefer not to use the sync cleaner.

mdm

Rugal's Thug
http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga/ega/yuv-to-vga-converter-pcb-gbs-8220/prod_291.html

The encoder I linked... anybody tried it as a VGA output and found it to be good? I'm considering buying this thing as a third encoder along with Jrok and NeoBitz due to VGA output. Do I need to run this one through sync cleaner too? RGB pots? Or VGA will just output everything perfectly?

As for RGB pots, I assume I'll need to use dual ganged one so I can use one set for both encoders (Jrok and Neo), correct?

One more thing: I should put this together in this order, correct? (for Jrok and NeoBitz):

JAMMA -> SPST switch -> sync cleaner -> RGB pots -> SPST switch -> video encoders -> composite/component/s-video

Right?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Use single pots for the RGB lines, dual ganged will adjust the RGB levels the same for all colors. If you have a PCB that is more blue then it will always be more blue.

JAMMA -> SPST switch -> sync cleaner -> RGB pots -> SPST switch -> video encoders -> composite/component/s-video

What is that supposed to be exactly?

mdm

Rugal's Thug
It's a complete "schematic" for the video circuity circuit. I just need to make sure it's in correct order, so I don't have to go back to it later and undo my mistakes.

So I don't need dual gang pots to receive input from both Jrok and NeoBitz? Just wire both together on a single pot and it'll adjust color for both encoders?

1 x SPST Toggle Switch (ON-ON)
2 x 10k Log Pot/Taper or 1 x Dual Ganged Log Pot (2 Pots in 1)
4 x 10uf Capacitor, 12-25v should be fine (You can probably use lower voltage ones, I use 16-25)
2 x 47k ohm 1/4 watt Resistor
2 x Phono Jacks

Thanks! i will buy the stuff on monday... maybe the SG will be finished on friday... =D

Why? (i actually did the hole for the switch >_<)

http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga/ega/yuv-to-vga-converter-pcb-gbs-8220/prod_291.html

The encoder I linked... anybody tried it as a VGA output and found it to be good? I'm considering buying this thing as a third encoder along with Jrok and NeoBitz due to VGA output. Do I need to run this one through sync cleaner too? RGB pots? Or VGA will just output everything perfectly?

As for RGB pots, I assume I'll need to use dual ganged one so I can use one set for both encoders (Jrok and Neo), correct?

Some time ago i bought one of these very cheap from a guy on eBay. The image quality is pretty decent, as far as it looks on my Sony Bravia LCD TV. Hocked up to a MV-1FZ (directly, without sync cleaner), the only annoyance was the initial setup as the default lenguage is chinesse, and the setting of the screen position took a while, but that´s mainly due my own clumsiness. Ah, by the way, this VGA encoder has RGB pots built in close to the RGBS input connector. In my humble oppinion a good VGA encoder, should be OK for a supergun project, you can even mount it outside, hocked up to the RGB out DIN-8 connector (yes, i'm planning to do this for my consolized MVS).
Cheers

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's a complete "schematic" for the video circuity circuit. I just need to make sure it's in correct order, so I don't have to go back to it later and undo my mistakes.

So I don't need dual gang pots to receive input from both Jrok and NeoBitz? Just wire both together on a single pot and it'll adjust color for both encoders?

Then, no.

For RGB lines:

Code:
Jamma RGB-->RGB Pots-->8 Pin Din
                    -->Neobitz
                    -->JROK
For Sync Line, it would go from the jamma edge to a SPST(On-On) switch:

O--To Encoders & From Sync Cleaner Output
O--Jamma Sync
O--To Sync Cleaner Input

This way when the switch is on the sync signal goes to the input of the sync cleaner and the sync cleaner output goes to the encoders. When the switch is off jamma sync goes straight to the encoders.
Code:
                    -->Neobitz     -->Neobitz
                    -->JROK        -->JROK
This is for the power switch since you are using 2 encoders.
Code:
+5v-->Switch-->JROK
            -->Neobitz

Some time ago i bought one of these very cheap from a guy on eBay. The image quality is pretty decent, as far as it looks on my Sony Bravia LCD TV. Hocked up to a MV-1FZ (directly, without sync cleaner), the only annoyance was the initial setup as the default lenguage is chinesse, and the setting of the screen position took a while, but that´s mainly due my own clumsiness. Ah, by the way, this VGA encoder has RGB pots built in close to the RGBS input connector. In my humble oppinion a good VGA encoder, should be OK for a supergun project, you can even mount it outside, hocked up to the RGB out DIN-8 connector (yes, i'm planning to do this for my consolized MVS)...
OOps!... redundant reply... sorry, I thought it wasn't be posted.

Last edited:
Because sp- (Jamma L) can be treated like sp+ in the type of amps mounted on jamma boards.

I was thinking that in my case is necessary because i will also include speakers output, so i think i need the switch to alternate stereo/mono to output dual mono on the speakers that receive the signal right thru jamma L and 10.

So in my case i think that the scheme should be like this

JAMMA L /10 ----> switch ----> speakers ----> attenuator ----> RCA out.

Please tell me if ¡'m wrong.

Thanks!

For speakers out you need a different switch.

http://a.imageshack.us/img442/1364/0aq.jpg

Thank you!

i'm now working on it. is it the view from the back of the switch right? i'm doing it that way.

I wonder what happens if the switch is turned on stereo position and the board is mono and viceversa.

It can cause damage to something or a simply malfunction on the sound?...

at last, which position is supposed to be stereo and of course, mono.

thanks a lot for the help! i think i will finish the SG tomorrow (pictures soon!)

EDITED:

I finished the SG! (minor details to end)

1º- i noticed that i must set Jrok Sync Cleaner "on" ALWAYS to have stable image on composite output (i did not tested s-video and component yet) in every board i tested until the moment. So... i don't know why is the switch necessary yet.
I left the RGB output clean, without the Sync Cleaner, because untill the moment i never needed to use Sync cleaner to output clear RGB.

2º- The sound works but i have some questions about it because i don't know if it's supposed to work like i'll describe now...

I have the SG connected to a NEO MVC-1C (full jamma / Not STEREO) and also tested with other jamma boards like CPS2 super street fighter, ninja gaiden, etc. and when i switch the dual mono/stereo switch the sound "changes"; in one position i percive more "bass" and in the other with less bass and more shine (more treble). But in both positions of the switch the sound is on both speakers.

Also noticed that when I move the switch the speakers do a movement like of contraction although it is not reproducing any sound.

Is it normal? how it's supposed to work? is fine to use any position no matter the board in use?...

What's supposed to exactly do this switch MKL??

Other question about video... What kind of pots should use for RGB? linear or logarithmic?

Sorry for this questions, i feel like a fool... but don't really know if i did things right and don't want to fry anything.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
What's supposed to exactly do this switch MKL??

In Jamma position it wires the speakers in series and gives dual mono sound on both speakers:

Jamma L ------ left speaker -

left speaker + ------ right speaker -

right speaker + ------ Jamma 10

total impedence is 8ohm when using 4ohm speakers

In MVS (only for *stereo* MVS boards, not the MV1C) position it's:

Jamma L ------ left speaker +

Jamma 10 ------ right speaker +

Ground ------ left/right speaker -

You're not supposed to change the switch settings for the same board and not supposed to switch with cab on.

In Jamma position it wires the speakers in series and gives dual mono sound on both speakers:

Jamma L ------ left speaker -

left speaker + ------ right speaker -

right speaker + ------ Jamma 10

total impedence is 8ohm when using 4ohm speakers

In MVS (only for *stereo* MVS boards, not the MV1C) position it's:

Jamma L ------ left speaker +

Jamma 10 ------ right speaker +

Ground ------ left/right speaker -

You're not supposed to change the switch settings for the same board and not supposed to switch with cab on.

Great!!!

i think i did the things right! :buttrock:

Thanks a lot for your help guys, in special MKL & Xian Xi

Here are the results of your help:

Now i'm gonna have some fun!

See you!

Last edited:
Awesome dude. What's the white connector for?

The white conector beside speakers output is the ATX conector for PSU; i made it that way to use the SG with a standard PC ATX psu (is cheap, easy to get, lots of amperes on each line, regulated voltage...) :)

I'm very proud of my new supergun and also very thankful to you James and mkl to put me on the right way :D

I'll take better pictures and upload them to your site anytime soon.

Thanks again!

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Turned out good, did you end up just using the neobitz or is the Jrok well hidden underneath?