Speedtest game giveaway contest (US & Canada only)

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
What the fuck do universities send that's so goddamned big that you need that much speed? 3D video or something?

I heard on the radio that average businesses only need 1M. 1M delivers 14,000 emails, thousands of telephone calls, sending average file sizes, and supplier web page look ups.

We're a small business and my work only has .7M and it works good for us. (Although we're only 25 people)

Keep 'em coming guys. It's interesting to see what everybody has for speed. So far, I'm the slowest. I know I can't be the slowest out there.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
What the fuck do universities send that's so goddamned big that you need that much speed? 3D video or something?

I heard on the radio that average businesses only need 1M. 1M delivers 14,000 emails, thousands of telephone calls, sending average file sizes, and supplier web page look ups.

We're a small business and my work only has .7M and it works good for us. (Although we're only 25 people)

Keep 'em coming guys. It's interesting to see what everybody has for speed. So far, I'm the slowest. I know I can't be the slowest out there.

Just about everything a university does is on the internet now. USF has massive servers for the Blackboard backend. Think about it. Hosting a very large content management system being accessed simultaneously by thousands of people a day at the same time.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert

Just about everything a university does is on the internet now. USF has massive servers for the Blackboard backend. Think about it. Hosting a very large content management system being accessed simultaneously by thousands of people a day at the same time.

Yeah... depends on what your business does.
If you deal with data, you need bandwidth.

Our department does a lot of simulation analysis from remote data, so there are plenty of labs that are saturating the pipes.
We also do a lot of remote database work as well and the last thing you want/need is bandwidth limitations being the rate limiting factor in your day to day work.

Nesagwa is right, think about how everything is moving to be webcentric. And to use your 25 person business as the benchmark isn't really realistic.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
912826096.png

Wanna know what the really sad thing is...this is google internet that google gives free to everyone in this city. Only internet I have here heh...at least the ping is good :P

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
912826096.png

Wanna know what the really sad thing is...this is google internet that google gives free to everyone in this city. Only internet I have here heh...at least the ping is good :P

Your ISP is google o_O

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
When did Google become an ISP?

They are thinking of offering extremely high speed internet throughout the country. (Faster than anything available atm) They are gonna do tests in some parts of the country, dunno when. Here in Mountain View (Google's HQ) they give free wifi to the entire city. (I'm talking 2-3 access points on EVERY street) It's nice tbh.

Reality Check

World Hero
They are thinking of offering extremely high speed internet throughout the country. (Faster than anything available atm) They are gonna do tests in some parts of the country, dunno when. Here in Mountain View (Google's HQ) they give free wifi to the entire city. (I'm talking 2-3 access points on EVERY street) It's nice tbh.

I hate missing put on good things because I don't live in California

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

There is no way in hell I would ever use Google as an ISP. It's not even paranoia, at this point, it's proven fact. They were caught sniffing passwords and cracking wifi networks and grabbing raw packets while driving around in the Google Earth cars only a few months ago. There is no way I would trust them with anything I do on the Internet.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
There is no way in hell I would ever use Google as an ISP. It's not even paranoia, at this point, it's proven fact. They were caught sniffing passwords and cracking wifi networks and grabbing raw packets while driving around in the Google Earth cars only a few months ago. There is no way I would trust them with anything I do on the Internet.

Yeah, I'd make sure I was on VPN if I was using something like that... but I do even when on my own wireless.

matrimelee

Hardened Shock Trooper

Plenty of people near me are still on dial-up or satellite, so I probably have it good. Thought I'd have better than this, though.